Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Murder and Crime: Whitechapel and District (M.W. Oldridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got mine on Monday and they are my sentiments exactly.

Comment

Still waiting for mine. Drat.

Comment

I'll order it too, Mark. I'm interested in the Israel Lipski case.
        Thank you for giving us notice.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

I've just finished reading Mark's book, and have posted a review on Amazon, which should appear there shortly:

"As someone who has read more than his fair share of books on crime in the east end of London, I was beginning to think that I'd read everything there was to read on this fascinating area. But then along comes this wonderful book by M. W. Oldridge, to enlighten me further on the many dark deeds committed in Whitechapel and its environs.

Many will be familiar with the story of Jack the Ripper, and the story is very well covered in one of the chapters of this book. Many will be aware that the east end had always been an area mired in crime and poverty, and yet, books devoted solely to Jack very rarely mention anything else of the areas criminal history. Mr Oldridge's book elegantly puts this to right, with six other very well written chapters covering crimes committed between 1874 and 1911. The reader is kept engrossed in the seven true stories featured, not only because of the subject matter, but also because of the author's excellent writing style, where usual writer's cliches are avoided. In addition to this, the book is very well illustrated with photographs, drawings and maps, including some which are previously unpublished anywhere else.

A truly wonderful book, which I do not hesitate in recommending to anyone interested in the fascinating history of crime in the east end of London."

All the best
          Andrew

Comment

Yahoo! Mark's book was in the mailbox when I got home tonight. I won't be able to read it this evening because we have guests for dinner (I hope they taste good; sorry, old joke) but I'll be all over it this weekend.

Comment

A review of this book

Hello all,

I have privately contacted Mark and offered a review of his book, which he welcomed, and I present that review here, as promised.

Whitechapel & District by M.W.Oldridge, published by The History Press. isbn 978 0 7524 5549 5

Whitechapel & District takes a look at a number of the most famous crimes of the area of the late Victorian and Edwardian periods. The author presents us with seven chapters, titled by date, ranging from 1874 to 1911. He presents us with the background of the area in his introduction, which sets the scene for those chapters that follow. This introduction is important in itself, because Whitechapel and Spitalfields were indeed "foreign" in many ways, and full of impending danger to the unknowing visitor and resident alike.

The case of the murderer Henry Wainwright is presented to us with great clarity, and the manner of this presentation allows us to learn a great deal of the goings on of 1874 and his trial in 1875. Studious research is clearly shown here, and the case in itself is in many ways an eye opener.
              The rape and murder of Miriam Angel in 1887, and the involvement of Isreal Lipski in 1887 are looked into with great interest. The mere mention of Batty Street, and the name of "Lipski" are both well documented names that remind one of later happenings in the area, under the 1888 chapter that involves the infamous murders surrounding "Jack the Ripper". Poison, another connection, reminds us of another link, Chapman, yet another killer.

In presenting the goings on of 1888, the author has the unenviable task of presenting these very well-known circumstances in a way that will not bore and yet still ask us to read on. It is quite easily seen that the author has succeeded here without question. The written prose, the presentation and the deft introduction of one suspect, Dr. Killeen, has this writer nodding his head in approval. It isn't easy to go over the Whitechapel murders of 1888 without any sort of personal comment that will produce negative questions from its readers. Oldfield manages to do this reasonably well, but as in all books, personal opinion after reading this chapter will always weigh for and against.

This writer's personal favourite of the chapters, is the one entitled 1898 (January) and this case really is most enlightening. It ties in much of the introductory background and one certainly feels the poverty and pain, danger and fright associated with the civilians living in the area. For me, a chapter worth re-visiting again and again.

We arrive then at the 10 year anniversary, if that is the correct terminology, of the Miller's Court murder during the reign of Jack the Ripper, in November 1898, and tread once more into it's midst, with the case of Kate Marshall and the murder of Eliza Roberts. One cannot fail to be impressed with the sketches and photographs shown us here, some of which have rarely, if ever been seen before. Again, this murder is dealt with quite brilliantly, asking excellent questions of the reader.

The last two chapters, 1909 and 1911 show the transition from Victorian to Edwardian London. One senses the differences and dare one say, the tendency to relative modernisation has crept in. The tale of Kitty Ronan is an intruiging one, and as the author points out, misunderstandings surrounding the case at the time are clearly shown, and the author deals with these well.
              As he also does with the case of Myer Abramovitch, from 1911. Impeccable research generates yet more interest in yet another case from the East End, already rich in circumstance from years gone by.

There isn't much to criticise with this book. A list of references would have been useful, and an index at the back, as the book itself finishes rather suddenly. However these are small points. The photographs and newspaper prints and sketches both garnered and loaned from other sources are impeccable, and given the correct treatment in the correct places.
              With the 125th anniversay of the Whitechapel murders soon on our doorstep, this book nestles itself nicely amongst those volumes that deserve more attention. The author is to be congratulated on his dilligent research work and amiable style of writing, and I have no hestitation in saying that this presentation is a valuable contribution to the understanding of Whitechapel and Spitalfields, it's social conditions, it's residents and indeed it's infamy. It is worthy of purchase for anyone with an interest in murder and crime from this time period.

with best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

not a review as such but my thoughts on Mark's book

Erudite and eloquent, assured and confident. The cases are interesting and dealt with precisely yet with the wonderful addition of Mark's humour which makes delightful reading. I hope it is all right for me to quote briefly from the book to illustrate this. From the 1888 chapter, discussing the candidacy of Pedachenko as possible Ripper suspect, Mark writes that he

...seems never to have actually existed. Whichever way one looks at it, this fact seriously affects the probability of his having been the killer.
                It is such gems of deft humour as this one that illuminate for me a book which could easily stand alone on it serious and thorough treatment of the facts, and brings Mark as a person through the pages, making the read the more rewarding for me anyway.

Congratulations Mark on writing a seriously wonderful book.

Jen x
                babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

OK, finished it. As Phil and bb say, it's an excellent book. I particularly enjoyed the many deft turns of phrase. Mark is a very talented writer.

I must admit that, after he introduced the Killeen theory, I expected him to say: "See? Virtually anyone can be fitted up." But he didn't, so I suppose he is serious. It's always nice to have another suspect on the stage, even if it is becoming rather crowded, and Killeen is as reasonable as Mann or Le Grand or any of the other recent proposals.

Anyway I liked it a lot, will find a prominent position for it on my book shelves, and recommend it to all who dwell here.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                    I must admit that, after he introduced the Killeen theory, I expected him to say: "See? Virtually anyone can be fitted up." But he didn't, so I suppose he is serious. It's always nice to have another suspect on the stage, even if it is becoming rather crowded, and Killeen is as reasonable as Mann or Le Grand or any of the other recent proposals.
                    And I must admit that I'm completely lost here (as still more or less a newbie, after 9 months in Ripperology). What is this “Killeen theory“, and does it refer to Dr. Killeen of Martha Tabra murder scene fame? But the way The Grave Maurice phrases it, Killeen sounds like a suspect. Can anyone help me here by clarifying, please?
                    I'm interested in Mark Ripper's book and plan to order it soon.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

Maria,

This "newbie" stance of yours is beginning to wear a bit thin. Buy the book, read it, and then come back to the thread.

Comment

Oh yeah? At least I'm not the one complaining about forgetting so much or completely misinterpreting the David Yost book.
                        I've asked a specific question to which I'd like an answer BEFORE buying Mark's book. Don't feel obliged to answer, Maurice. Although in your shoes I would have answered to a semi-newbie asking innocently.
                        And I'll buy the book in my own sweet time, thank you very much.

(Apologies for this, Mark. )
                        Last edited by mariab; 03-27-2011, 05:01 AM.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                          Maria,

This "newbie" stance of yours is beginning to wear a bit thin.
                          Oh, you noticed that too, GM.

Talk about hitting the ground running.

I reckon she'll solve the case within six months at this rate.

(and please feel free to have a pop at me also Ms Newbie)
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I met up with Mark last Friday and enjoyed a few pints with him in The White Hart. I also manged to obtain a signed copy of the book.

It must be said that I have found Mark to be a great friend in the field and life in general. He is very eloquant and this shows through in his work. The presentation is refreshingly different. The facts are presented in a storytelling style which captivates. Whilst I have my reservations on his Kileen theory, and I felt this could have been elaborated more on (maybe that's for another book), the Ripper chapter, as Phil states, does differ from the bog standard.

Over the years my preference has lent toward to books which do not grace the shelves of the big book stores. This because I find them to be more readable. It is merely my prefence and bears no reflection on those publications found in, let say Waterstones. The reason being is that these books do tend to avoid the sensationalistic whilst still remain gripping. Marks work does not disappoint. The Clenowich case was my own farvourite chapter and Mark shows a compassion for the accused (which is understandable if you read the case) whilst not shirking away from the horrors of the crime.

I have waited for this particular book since I was aware Mark was working on it. I was not disappointed. I know through conversation with Mark that he was wary of my review being biased, as we are good friends. With that in mind I can say, with hand on heart, that this is in my opinion a worthy book to add to anyones true crime collection.

Bottom line is that I reccomend it. It brings to light lessor known cases and presented in a fascinating way.

My copy will be treasured and is now placed with my signed copies of Evans, Begg, Rumbelow, Bennett, Clack/Hutchinson and Sheldon.

I can't give it any better recognition than that.

Monty
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Through having met him only once, I'm a great admirer of Mark's, and he's the very best company/guide for walking through Whitechapel.

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Whilst I have my reservations on his Kileen theory, and I felt this could have been elaborated more on (maybe that's for another book)
                              I hope to be able to find out what this Kileen theory is before I die.

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Over the years my preference has lent toward to books which do not grace the shelves of the big book stores. It is merely my prefence and bears no reflection on those publications found in, let say Waterstones. The reason being is that these books do tend to avoid the sensationalistic whilst still remain gripping.
                              Completely agree with this.
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                                I hope to be able to find out what this Kileen theory is before I die.
                                Hello Maria

I suspect that Mark's Kileen theory is a private joke between him and himself.

Or perhaps a surreal comment upon suspect based Ripperology.
                                Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 04-01-2011, 06:40 AM.
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X