Nicholas Culpeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholas Culpeper

On the Casebook listing of books about Jack the Ripper there is the following entry -

'Jack the Ripper by Aleister Crowley
    Anon. Cambridge, 1988. 9pp cardstock
    Article reprinted from Sothis magazine, vol. 1, no. 4, 1974.
    Short and strange article discussing Robert Donson [sic], Vittoria Cremers, Aleister Crowley and the "occult" solution to the murders. Only one hundred were printed.'

The booklet, listed as anonymous, was actually produced by Nick Culpeper of Newport, Essex, a noted authority on Aleister Crowley and possessor of a fine collection of books, including volumes from Crowley's own library and annotated by him.

Nick has supplied me with several books over the years and he was very good at tracking down various rare items. A few weeks ago I received a telephone call from Nick telling me he had only two months to live.

At 6.15 a.m. two days ago Nick passed away. He was 69 years of age. This is for the information of any who may have known Nick and might appreciate his kindness and the great knowledge he possessed. Please remember him.
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Hi Stewart.

I just saw your name on this thread and was very glad that you were posting again, but then I read your post and saw that it was a notice of your old friend's passing.

I'm so sorry; please accept my sympathies.

I've had wonderful friends who were antiquarian booksellers too, and from my experience they are fascinating people with a real love for History.

Best regards,
    Archaic

Comment

Thank you for posting this, Stewart.

Nick notified me of his illness in December, two weeks before Christmas, and I went to see him shortly before the new year. He looked very unwell, but was determined to respond to his situation stoically and with dignity. I spoke to him again late last month, and he said how physically weak he was feeling then.

This is a sad loss.

Comment

Stewart, M-W-R,

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and colleague Nick. Sixty-nine years is too soon.

Best,
        Cel/Linda
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
        X