Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ripper File (based on the BBC serial)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ripper File (based on the BBC serial)

I've long been hunting for a copy of this as I love the series. What's it like? Is it done as a novelisation or does it simply present the evidence found?

Originally posted by Writerboy View Post
    I've long been hunting for a copy of this as I love the series. What's it like? Is it done as a novelisation or does it simply present the evidence found?
    Hello Writerboy

Despite its link to the BBC series, the book itself is a compendium of information on the case and not really a novelisation of the drama--it's made up of information that the scriptwriters, John Lloyd and Elwyn Jones, used to write the show. Indeed, the writers saw and summarized a number of the suspect files that are now missing so it is worth getting for that reason. Here's a Google which throws up a number of copies for sale.

"The Ripper File" by John Lloyd and Elwyn Jones.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Also this is a small paperback, so if you're expecting a giant compendium of info, don't. A good read non the less.

Comment

The Ripper File

Originally posted by Writerboy View Post
        This book, by Elwyn Jones and John Lloyd, was published in 1975 by Arthur Barker Ltd., London. It was a 204 page hardback book, in dust jacket, with the murders arranged therein in the form of files, witness statements and press reports. It did not follow the TV script, of which I have a copy of in six volumes (one for each episode), see below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ripperfile.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	659697

Name:	barlowandwatt.jpg
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	659698
        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
          It did not follow the TV script, of which I have a copy of in six volumes (one for each episode), see below.
          You don't by any chance have a full cast list, do you?

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            You don't by any chance have a full cast list, do you?
            Yes, I believe so Chris.
            SPE

Comment

Hi All,
              I remember watching this program when first aired, but dont remember to much about it. Iknow it can be purchased on DVD now.
              Is it worth buying ?

How accurate is it now in hindsight ?

Also I noticed the name John Lioyd as one of the writers, is that the same one who is big in tv now ?

Comment

Yes, I believe so Chris.
                That would be very interesting. When some of us watched the programmes online a few months ago there was quite a bit of discussion about the actors. We only managed to identify a few of them, and online listings are very incomplete.

Comment

Cast

That would be very interesting. When some of us watched the programmes online a few months ago there was quite a bit of discussion about the actors. We only managed to identify a few of them, and online listings are very incomplete.
                  Not only do I have the cast for all six episodes, all the extras' names are included too. Here's the first episode cast, first page.

Name:	bwcast1.jpg
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	659702
                  SPE

Comment

Not only do I have the cast for all six episodes, all the extras' names are included too. Here's the first episode cast, first page.
                    Excellent! I'm just trying to remember who I was particularly impressed by. Certainly the actor who played Anderson stood out; also Larkins and Caroline Maxwell...

Comment

Hi All,

Okay, I give up.

Who played Polly Nichols and Annie Chapman?

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Re...

Excellent! I'm just trying to remember who I was particularly impressed by. Certainly the actor who played Anderson stood out; also Larkins and Caroline Maxwell...
                        Regarding the above -

Anderson was played by Allan McClelland.
                        Mrs. Maxwell was played by Mary Quinn.
                        Larkins was played by John Malcolm.
                        SPE

Comment

Anderson was played by Allan McClelland.
                          Mrs. Maxwell was played by Mary Quinn.
                          Larkins was played by John Malcolm.
                          Thanks very much.

McClelland was evidently an experienced stage actor who never achieved prominence on the screen. There's a short biography here:
                          A unique listing of Northern Ireland’s finest actors, from Barbara Adair to James Young.

Comment

This book, by Elwyn Jones and John Lloyd, was published in 1975 by Arthur Barker Ltd., London. It was a 204 page hardback book, in dust jacket, with the murders arranged therein in the form of files, witness statements and press reports. It did not follow the TV script, of which I have a copy of in six volumes (one for each episode), see below.

[ATTACH]9525[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9526[/ATTACH]
                            that is very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                              Hi All,
                              I remember watching this program when first aired, but dont remember to much about it. Iknow it can be purchased on DVD now.
                              Is it worth buying ?

How accurate is it now in hindsight ?

Also I noticed the name John Lioyd as one of the writers, is that the same one who is big in tv now ?
                              I was thinking the same thing. Blackadder and now QI.

Has anybody else been scarred by the Batman episode

This looks very interesting I'd love to see it must go and check for second hand copies.

Just checked it's not on DVD
                              Last edited by belinda; 07-03-2010, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X