X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fame or Infamy ...

The true story behind the
    Jack the Ripper diary.

This is the link to see a preview of Steve Powell's new book ..
    I received an email from the bookstore advising of it's release.

Not sure why Steve is not notifying you all .. he doesn't appear to be
    banned like so many other outspoken ones,
    but he also doesn't seem to be around here either.
    Never mind ..he must just be away on holidays ..
    hope he does not mind me getting in first.

Browse self published books. Buy, sell and share photography books, wedding albums, portfolios and more. Find self published books as unique as you.
    "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
    of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Have you two fallen out Victoria?

Stevie Baby emailed me personally with the link two days ago and I posted it - under fiction, naturally.

You even posted to that thread yourself - 17 minutes before you opened this one.

Memory playing tricks again? Seems to be catching down under.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Last edited by caz; 03-31-2010, 12:09 PM.
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

No Caz ..

no falling out with Stevie Baby, it's just that I have other things
      to do in life apart from just checking on him all the time.

I knew much earlier that the book was coming ...

The 'personal' message that you got from Steve was not a personal
      one just for you ..
      I hope you are not too disappointed, it was the exact same one sent to myself and anyone else on his list.

Memory is not playing tricks ..
      yes I posted on your thread 17 minutes earlier, before starting this one.

The reason then, that I put it here .. was because of all the childish and unnecessary comments that you had going on.
      Also because the book is under a non-fiction label, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

Comment

Hi Victoria,

You said you got your email from the bookstore and were 'getting in first' with the news. You gave no indication that you got a second email from Steve. In fact you said he must be away on holiday. What am I meant to be now - psychic?

I don't care how many people he emailed. All I knew was that mine came directly from him and nobody else had mentioned it on the boards when I put the link up.

Glad you haven't fallen out though. Where would he be without you?

Love,

Caz
        X

Comment

Hi Caz,
          gosh, wish I could be as precise and succint with every nuance
          of wording as you ..
          But maybe you are just trying to twist my meanings ..

One email, yes generated from Steve, my interpretation of 'from the bookstore'
          was only to indicate that it was not a personal message, intended only
          for me.

'Getting in first' .. was because I was surprised that Steve did
          not announce it here first.
          It is his book and I'm sure he would have liked to announce it himself.

I expected that he would have and as he hadn't .. I did it.
          And yes I know that you so kindly did so first, except that you put it under the wrong category.

I since have found out that he has been banned, I presume for
          mentioning a name that is written in the book for all to see.
          Seems odd that 'banned' is not next to his name as it is for others who are banned.

Comment

Fame And Infamy ... Steve Powell

The purpose of this thread is to just let anyone who is interested in the subject of the diary, know that a new book on the subject is available.

I did not post here to start another pile of negative comments,
            that is certainly not necessary, nor warranted.
            Let's ..those who are interested, read the book first, before judgement.

Comment

It should be pointed out that Steve's book is being "published" through a print on demand vanity press---in short, no reputable publisher would touch it due to its no doubt slanderous content.

Gee. So much for its credibility.

Let all Oz be agreed;
              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your clarifications but I'm afraid you've now left one rather crucial question dangling. You ask others to 'read the book first, before judgement'.

Does this mean you received your copy and read it between getting the 'bookstore' email and posting the link here? If not, I'm just wondering how you judged this to be the right category, and fiction the wrong one.

Anyway, in the great 'time reveals all' spirit, I'm more than prepared to take my chances. If it turns out that I put the link under the wrong category I'm going to look very silly indeed - eating my hat. How's that?

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

Dia as in Diamine

Originally posted by Ally View Post
                  It should be pointed out that Steve's book is being "published" through a print on demand vanity press---in short, no reputable publisher would touch it due to its no doubt slanderous content.

Gee. So much for its credibility.
                  The book came today.....hoo boy. It's even more deranged than I expected just based on a quick skim. There's a missing corpse and a faked cremation. I hadn't realized that Park is getting fingered for the Watch as well.

There's a picture of Melvin Harris who "knew of the incredible hoax", kinda implying he was down with this version of events.

Powell makes extensive use of Casebook message board postings; Grey Hunter ("a noted Ripperologist") and Chris Phillips are in here, as well as Mr. Omlor. Chris George, Monty and Caroline Morris make several guest appearances for good measure. Ally becomes "Wally". And we even have Mr. Poster which will warm Lars' heart.

Best part is the cover says "The True Story Behind the Jack the Ripper Dia"
                  Managing Editor
                  Casebook Wiki

Comment

Ally becomes Wally

Dear Ally,

I thought you might be interested to learn, if you did not already know, that "Wally" is British (and therefore probably Australian) slang for a fool or innefectual person. "What a wally" was popularised by the comedian, Cockney Mike Reid, in the 1970s. Younger posters will better remember him as Frank Butcher in the doom-laden UK soap "EastEnders". He would also use Wilf and Lenny in the same way but they never caught on; which is a shame since I have always been rather fond of "What a Wilf".

After a little perusal of these boards, my Holmesian detection skills suggest that you and Mr. Powell are not likely to become close and trusted colleagues in the near future.

Since I have once again failed to win the lottery, Mr. Powell's book is not near the top of my list of imminent purchases so I must rely on the thoughts of yourself and others as to its veracity or otherwise. Having said that, my thoughts are already leaning more in one direction than the other. This thread is hilarious.

Best wishes and keep up the good work,

Sincerely,

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
                      The book came today.....hoo boy. It's even more deranged than I expected just based on a quick skim. There's a missing corpse and a faked cremation. I hadn't realized that Park is getting fingered for the Watch as well.

There's a picture of Melvin Harris who "knew of the incredible hoax", kinda implying he was down with this version of events.

Powell makes extensive use of Casebook message board postings; Grey Hunter ("a noted Ripperologist") and Chris Phillips are in here, as well as Mr. Omlor. Chris George, Monty and Caroline Morris make several guest appearances for good measure. Ally becomes "Wally". And we even have Mr. Poster which will warm Lars' heart.

Best part is the cover says "The True Story Behind the Jack the Ripper Dia"
                      Wow! You actually paid to read that crap? I am impressed. You might end up being the sole owner of the sole copy ever published.

I'll pay you postage and the price of a pint to ship it to me and I'll ship it back to ya when I am done. I refuse to put a penny in that liar's coffers. PM if you are interested.

We could have another Mole project.

And out of curiousity, just how extensive use did he make? I mean are we talking lawsuit worthy copyright violations?
                      Last edited by Ally; 04-04-2010, 01:39 AM.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Wow! You actually paid to read that crap? I am impressed. You might end up being the sole owner of the sole copy ever published.
                        I know of at least one other sucker...er, owner.

I prefer to think of it as the Plan 9 From Outer Space of Ripperology.

And out of curiousity, just how extensive use did he make? I mean are we talking lawsuit worthy copyright violations?
                        The Casebook is not named but referred to as "an Internet site". I'd guesstimate that about 25 pages utilize Casebook postings citing the posters' user names. Not necessarily in context. I think some of these were PMs. Chunks from Melvin Harris' dissertations appear as well.

My background is in pharmaceuticals (so is Steve's I suspect!!) and I have an dilettantes knowledge of patent law, so whether or not this is copyright violation should be taken with a grain of salt. I know that at that "other-Ripper-website" I usually frequent, there is a very clear notice that all posts become the property of said website. I presume you do the same, and so I would guess this is actionable, especially as my copy came from the good old U.S.A.

Supposedly Feldman and Robbie Johnson had "death plans" that they confided to Park. Perhaps they are not really dead.

Rumbelow makes a cameo as well. Powell says he told Don something about an Australian Diary during a Ripper tour and Don's reaction was quite puzzling.....as if he had an unusual interest or agenda behind his questioning. It's all innuendo, mind you.
                        Managing Editor
                        Casebook Wiki

Comment

Uh-oh. I had assumed this was one Ripper book that I could avoid purchasing. Now it sounds as though I'll have to get it just for the sidelights.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                            Uh-oh. I had assumed this was one Ripper book that I could avoid purchasing. Now it sounds as though I'll have to get it just for the sidelights.
                            One of the promises is to unveil the truth "after nearly forty years of lies and deception". Now, correct me if I am wrong, but that puts us in the 1970s.

Which is well before the Diary. But conveniently around the time of The Complete Jack the Ripper .

I really don't care about what one wants to say about various Diary World denizens, but dragging Rumbelow into all this is just scummy beyond words.
                            Managing Editor
                            Casebook Wiki

Comment

This book could become 'The Celestine Prophecy' of ripperology! It may be so ridiculous that everyone purchases it. Steve Powell becomes rich and opens a Whitechapel/East End, meditation resort in the Ozarks, where everyone can relive the crimes while relaxing to Enya music and getting high colonics. A high colonic might be needed after reading the book.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X