No announcement yet.

Fame or Infamy ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ally, you dumbass, you should have waited until they sent you a copy to accuse them of publishing plagiarized works.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I know. Miscalculation. In other news, Robert Anderson owes me BIG. That copy just tripled in value.

They don't do review copies anyway. They are a POD.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Ally,

True enough about PoD publishers not doing review copies, though as I recall a few such writers so published sent out review copies on their own. KT did because she really thought she had written THE answer to the Ripper riddle and Leanne Perry, who is a serious researcher and wanted her book publicized with a few reviews from those in the field. in the latter instance, Leanne did get some serious and largely favorable reviews.

So, if Mr. Powell is really serious, he could personally supply a few copies.

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Trenouth sent me a free copy. It's the only reason I have it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

The book has not reappeared on Blurb's website, although Steve Powell's bio is still posted. Very odd. I hope everyone who was interested ordered the book before it was yanked. This could end up being one of the scarcest books in Ripperdom.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice
              I hope everyone who was interested ordered the book before it was yanked.
              I'm sure that both of them did.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                Leanne Perry, who is a serious researcher and wanted her book publicized with a few reviews from those in the field. in the latter instance, Leanne did get some serious and largely favorable reviews.
                Leanne seems to have dropped out of sight. I have indeed heard good things about her book. Is it still available through PoD ?
                Managing Editor
                Casebook Wiki

Comment

Hi Sir Bob. If you have Bruce Paley's book you have Leanne Perry's.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom,

A bit nasty that. Actually, I was surprised that in her conclusions she was less dogmatic than Paley about Barnett and I did find some of her observations interesting.

SRA,

I'll try to put you in touch with her about the book.

Donb.
                    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi Supe. I do recall being very impressed with one observation regarding the Ripper letters, although for the life of me I cannot recall it right now.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                        SRA,

I'll try to put you in touch with her about the book.

Donb.
                        Very kind of you and greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                        Managing Editor
                        Casebook Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Robert Anderson View Post
                          Best part is the cover says "The True Story Behind the Jack the Ripper Dia"
                          That's odd. Mine came today and it says "...Behind the Jack the Ripper Diar" which, were the word to be completed in a specific way, might be more appropriate. Anyway, no time to check out the contents at the moment because I've got a couple of other books on the go.

Comment

Fame or Infamy

I believe it should be the full word of 'Diary'.
                            This is how it appears on the fascimile of the cover.

Future books will be corrected,
                            meanwhile 'rarities' could attract a premium in the future ...
                            "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
                            of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

I've no axe to grind in any of this, but I thought I would share one quote from this publication which particularly struck me:

"Never again would I underestimate an audience's intelligence." (p.61)

But this was in 1974...

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Oh that's just too delicious, Mark.

If you find any more gems like that one, I hope you will share them with this dumb audience.

Almost takes the mind off the unfortunate Anne Frank episode on page 2.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                                X