Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE JACK THE RIPPER LOCATION PHOTOGRAPHS : Dutfield's Yard and the Whitby Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi AP

Personally I’d rather close ranks with a cage full of porcupines than Ally.

However I do know a little bit about photography. As Rob stated, a pinhole camera as long as it uses a very small aperture (f22) should give an excellent focal length.

The idea that a camera of this period or even earlier could not take this picture is silly. Of course it could have done. It’s quality of lens that counts and they made better lenses then, than some of the toosh we buy today.

In bright sunshine at approx mid day, this should have been very freezable.

Having seen the original and retouched version of this picture it is clear that the removal of marks and scuffs caused by age was minimal. Standard photoshop stuff.

You are flying in the face of reason, apologize and give up. Sometimes its just best to admit you are wrong. A lesson that would do many here good.

Pirate
    Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 01-26-2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Well I'll be fu....

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• The pot just called the kettle African-American, I know. But that goes to shows how deep this consensus runs. AP is truly out on his own here. Oh, and Simon Wood.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I actually like being on my own, Tom, it is a good place to be.
          Sort of takes you out of the animated, and into the rare reality where you can breathe on fresh air.

Comment

• I suppose I should be somewhat grateful for you, AP. Without you and Simon, Monty and co. would probably regard me a crank for thinking that Stride was a Ripper victim. Lol.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
              Go back to the original thread, boys, where I vented my opinion that the image displayed does not reflect the technical ability of the camera used.
              Do yourself a favour, AP, and give this a rest.

You obviously don't know photography from your arsehole so don't pretend you do.

(and I'm speaking as a friend here)

It's Dutfields Yard in 1900. End of story. A fact verified by EXPERTS.

Why wander around alienating people for no reason?
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Tom,

Many thanks for the endorsements. They're a sure sign I'm thinking straight.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Gosh Stephen,I got a bit of a shock to see you pop up over here ! Only a minute or two ago I noticed you were still locked in next door"s privy making it 48 hours!What have you been doing in there?No anal fixation its to be hoped!
                  You mustnt let all this get to you man! Try and forget about it for a bit.

Hugs

Norma

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    The pot just called the kettle African-American, I know. But that goes to shows how deep this consensus runs. AP is truly out on his own here. Oh, and Simon Wood.

Yours truly, Tom Wescott
                    Unfortunately Wescott you have the personality of an over bumptious, Walt infested bullfrog. Your only redeeming feature is that on some occasions you can actually be quite a good Ripperologist..

If I wished to spend a few pleasant hours chattering in a bar give me AP any day, at least he has some spunk about him. He is however wrong about this photo.

I have looked at the evidence, seen the original maps from an expert in Finland. The only thing anyone can do is congratulate Philip on his find, pat him on the back for his hard work and recognize his outstanding contribution. Thank good people are still out there searching and looking.

Many thanks Philip I loved your book and your lecture at 2009 conference it was blinding.

Yours Jeff

Comment

• The bonding that goes on in Kent.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

• Do you all realize just how much AP is enjoying this?

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                        It's Dutfields Yard in 1900. End of story. A fact verified by EXPERTS.
                        I would gladly contribute ninety nine quid, to a pool having a payout of one hundred Pounds Sterling; on the assumption that the photograph in question is a depiction of Dutfield's Yard.

Surely; I would make a pound!

But, …

It's Dutfields Yard in 1900.
                        We do not know that, to be the case, Stephen!

End of story.
                        We will never reach the end, in this instance!

A fact verified by EXPERTS.
                        It is a near-certainty, on the basis of expert opinion!

Rob, John and Jake are not qualified 'experts'; but each has exhibited a remarkable degree of 'expertise' in the recognition of 'Ripper' landmarks. Accordingly; each has earned our trust and confidence in his 'expert' opinion.

As for 'experts', in the overall field of 'Ripperology': There are none! None!

Martin Fido may fancy himself an 'expert'; and a "scholarly" one, at that. But he, like Paul Begg, Stewart Evans, Donald Rumbelow, et al, … is an authority: Not an 'expert'!

By the way;

Are the Mariners going to be playing non-League football, next season ???

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          The bonding that goes on in Kent.

Monty
                          You will be invited next time

PS Colin, Martin Fido is an expert in Victorian Literature. It is a photo of Dutfield yard.
                          Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                            Martin Fido is an expert in Victorian Literature.
                            Wrong website, Jeff!

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                            It is a photo of Dutfield yard.
                            Philip kindly e-mailed me a copy of the original photograph, on 3 December 2007. I knew then, that it was almost certainly a picture of Dutfield's Yard.

But, thanks for your opinion!

Comment

• Very kind of you Jeff...though I hear sea sick tablets may be required.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

• Phillip should rectify this situation

Philip kindly e-mailed me a copy of the original photograph, on 3 December 2007. I knew then, that it was almost certainly a picture of Dutfield's Yard.

But, thanks for your opinion![/QUOTE]

If you're emailing it to everyone Phillip then why didn't you put the original in the book? Only certain people should be privy to your discovery and not the people who actually paid you good money to see it? That's a real shame.

Comment

Working...
                                X