Book suggestions on Knife Crime and the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book suggestions on Knife Crime and the Ripper

Hello! I'm a masters student in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture, and am hoping to write my dissertation on knife culture in the nineteenth century, through an interdisciplinary study of literary, medical, journalistic and legal sources, as well as factual cases.

With Jack the Ripper being such a strong influence on Victorian views on knife culture, as well as a personal interest, I had hoped that I would be able to devote a portion of my dissertation to the study of the case, as represented in literature of the time - but as the case is such a dense one, I was hoping to get some advice on what would be my best starting point!

I am particularly interested in recommendations of any books concerning Victorian knife crime or knife culture, and Victorian or modern books on the psychology behind knife crimes.

Another interest, although this doesn't strictly belong in the non-fiction section of the forum, is any and ALL occurances of stabbing or knives in Victorian fiction, especially gothic and sensation novels! It seems hard to believe in an era so crime-obsessed that so few books make use of knife crime as a plot device or sensational selling point, but I have discovered few mainstream books that so much as feature a knife! If I'm likely to get a lot of responses to this part of the question, I'll make a seperate thread in the fiction forum. Just thought I'd add this here as an afterthought, so as not to create numerous cluttery threads!

Finally, I'd like to apologise for any incorrect content in my post - I'm new to the forums, and although I've read the rules and regulations section, and given thought to where to post this request, I'm never 100% certain about how correct I am!

Ta muchly for any help at all, or just general chatter or encouragement - I think I'm going to need it!

*bump of hope*

Comment

Hi Snenny,

The Jack the Ripper case is the mother of all Victorian kinfe crime. So you came to the right place. What to read? Sugden, Evans, Begg, there's a start. Your school or public library should have some of the better books.

This site has a lot of info. Look left, to the categories. The Press Reports section is an outstanding resource. As to the psyshology behind it, I'm afraid you'd find as many opinions as there are forum members.

Since you are pursuing a masters in that era of history, I'm hoping that someday, after you've begun developing your own theories and writing about it, you can share your work with us!

Good luck to you, my friend, and again, welcome.

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Thanks Roy! Knew I'd come to a haven as I browsed the forum before making my post - it's lovely to see so many people both diversely and intelligently commenting on a shared interest. If I come into a bit of cash (the student dream) I may invest in a couple of those books, as I suspect they won't go unread!

The press reports section is brilliant, and I also found the dissertations section useful. Do any of the books you've already recommended have a section on the psychological aspects of the killings?

I hope I'll be able to contribute to this field of research too someday! The market doesn't seem to be too flooded with research about the Ripper's representation in fin de siecle literature, so perhaps I shall find a niche!

Thanks again If anything else occurs, please let me know!

Comment

Working...
        X