Too rights Gareth....the bustards.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      I missed your post, apologies for repeating what you had already confirmed.
      You need not apologize, Neil! I realize there is something in the air in Leicester!

We managed to get our win ...
      You faded away, for some reason!

Whatever it was that you were trying to say; I'm sure that it had nothing to do with the topic of this thread, …

whitechapel 1888 map

Originally posted by dixon9 View Post
      hi been stuggling to find one,tried all the usual places(ripper art,amazon,smiths) but no luck,any ideas where i may be able to get one?
      …which I believe was initially intended to be this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RipperArt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	657611
      Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

yep that was the one i was after septic(have ordered the one sam mentioned) with 1st class post only just over £3.

Thanks again for all your help

Comment

yep that was the one i was after septic
          You're not really missing out on anything, Dixon. I bought a copy of the "Whitechapel 1888 Map", and was distinctly underwhelmed by it. The Godfrey map is much more useful, IMO.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

thanks for all your help sam,couldn't believe the cost,should get it tuesday,then should have case sussed in ten days give or take a few days.lol

dixon9
            still learning

Comment

Guys,

Heres some advice, cos the Godfrey maps are fairly cheap I suggest you obtain two copies.

One to keep prestine and shiney....oooooh, shiney things.

Tother you can fry and eat, it....no, wait, thats something else. Tother you can mark and notate on should you wish to do so.

My favs are the Goads fire maps. They really do have detail though cover far smaller areas.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Tother you can fry and eat, it....no, wait, thats something else.
                Classic!

Well, it made me laugh anyway!

Andrew

Comment

Made me laugh, too.

I didn't twig that dixon was primarily interested in the ripperArt map. Like Sam says, it's flawed; but, nonetheless, I use both my copies (the booklet and the fold-out) all the time. Their advantage is that they point out, specifically, all the stuff that we're interested in. They certainly helped me get an idea of the distances involved. If you have any money left over after the Godfrey, and assuming that they're still available, I'd suggest that you buy those as well.

Comment

thanks maurice,i have a little left over as the map was only £3.lol.
                    Will keep trying for the others as well.

dixon9
                    still learning

Comment

Whilst Alan Godfrey's maps represent good value for money and serve a purpose, you might also like to consider Chris Peen's 'Old Towns' series of o/s reproductions:-

Old Maps of London in 1888 as instant downloads or large-format prints

Although a little on the pricey side, starting at around five - six pounds per sheet (depending on the extent of area covered), they are excellent reproductions, printed on good quality paper and supplied rolled up in a cardboard tube.

I have used Chris's service on many occasions (he's a local lad, from Maidstone) and have always found him to be very enthusiastic and helpful, and always quick to respond.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I'm always interested in relevant maps, and these seem to be exceptionally good ones.

Comment

thanks steve

Comment

Map in a Ripper Book

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            True, GM. At least it covers all the territory, though. I've also got a full-scale reproduction of Booth's poverty map covering the whole of London, but that's frankly too big - actually, "enormous" is a better description - for day to day use

Incidentally, I just remembered that a very good quality image (a 4.7 megabyte jpeg) of the 1894 map may be downloaded at Casebook, at the bottom of this page.
                            Somewhere, in the flyleaf of some Ripper book, an excellent map of just Whitechapel was printed which was a great quick reference as one was reading. I'll have to find it.

Comment

hi been stuggling to find one,tried all the usual places(ripper art,amazon,smiths) but no luck,any ideas where i may be able to get one?

Thanks for any help

dixon9
                              Hi Dixon9.

I realise your post is nearly 2 years old, but I've only just finished the latest version of the Jack the Ripper map. You can find more information about it here: http://www.jacktherippermap.info/

Best Regards.

Geoff Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X