whitechapel 1888 map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitechapel 1888 map

hi been stuggling to find one,tried all the usual places(ripper art,amazon,smiths) but no luck,any ideas where i may be able to get one?

Thanks for any help

dixon9

Originally posted by dixon9 View Post
    hi been stuggling to find one,tried all the usual places(ripper art,amazon,smiths) but no luck,any ideas where i may be able to get one?
    Alan Godfrey Maps is your friend, Dixon:

I make extensive use of the map catalogued as "L 063.2 Whitechapel & Bank 1894", a bargain at only £2.25. My thanks to Jaako Luukanen (aka "JakeL") for recommending the Godfrey maps to me many years ago.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

thanks very much sam much appreciated

dixon9

Comment

Yeah, that's a great map. But, if it's the same scale as the one I've got, you might want to invest in a good magnifying glass at the same time.

Comment

The gentleman behind Alan Godfrey maps is one of the nicest people you could deal with, he really helped me obtain some decent scale maps of Sculcoates some time ago. I have a large box full of Godfrey Editions including two of Whitechapel, 3 of Islington, 3 of Holloway, and over 30 covering Hull and surrounding locales. They also have notes and trade directory entries on the rear of each map and are much cheaper, and more realistic, than the awful Jack the Ripper map.
          Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            Yeah, that's a great map. But, if it's the same scale as the one I've got, you might want to invest in a good magnifying glass at the same time.
            True, GM. At least it covers all the territory, though. I've also got a full-scale reproduction of Booth's poverty map covering the whole of London, but that's frankly too big - actually, "enormous" is a better description - for day to day use

Incidentally, I just remembered that a very good quality image (a 4.7 megabyte jpeg) of the 1894 map may be downloaded at Casebook, at the bottom of this page.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

This is the "Stone Yard" next to Pavillion Yard off the Whitechapel thoroughfare, the site of the shed used as mortuary. What does the B. S. stand for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mort2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	657607
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

Bring [us your] Stiffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                  What does the B. S. stand for?
                  'Boundary Stone'!

The southwestern and southeastern walls of the structure that is presumed to have been the Whitechapel Union Infirmary mortuary, coincided with the boundary that separated the Parish of St. Mary Whitechapel and the Hamlet of Mile End New Town.

The 'disused' graveyard was situated entirely within Whitechapel, while the (presumed) mortuary was situated entirely within Mile End New Town.

Comment

Guys,

Be aware that the 1894 map is not contemporary, obviously. Development had taken place since 88.

Roy,

Colin Roberts is your man, but Im thinking Boundary markers of sorts.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Colin,

I thought Chelsea was playing today. Shouldn't you be otherwise occupied?

Comment

To confirm.

B S stands for Boundary Stone.

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                          I thought Chelsea was playing today. Shouldn't you be otherwise occupied?
                          Granted: The referee added eight minutes to the end of the first half, and five minutes to the end of the second half; but the final whistle was blown about six hours ago.

I don't watch football 'down the pub' anymore!

Two or three pints of Harp before noon (EST), and the rest of the day is shot!

Stoke City put up an incredible fight; and their choir was absolutely brilliant!

Comment

Colin

I missed your post, apologies for repeating what you had already confirmed.

We managed to get our win during the required minutes....didnt need the add ons

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Be aware that the 1894 map is not contemporary, obviously. Development had taken place since 88.
                              It's like censuses, isn't it Neil? They never did one when we really wanted them to!
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                              X