Past Traces: Andrew Firth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
    I'm not going to start a separate thread for this because, technically, it isn't related to JtR, but Louis Berk's book Walk to Work is well worth acquiring in addition to Andrew's. Berk isn't particularly interested in our boy, although he mentions him once or twice; nonetheless, those of us with an interest in the East End will find much to admire here. The standard edition, hardcover, is only about $45 (US) and is also available from Blurb. Berk has captured some great shots.
    I'll second that! I shall be making a purchase of "Walk to Work" next week. The quality of his photographic work is second to none. He also has a Flickr page which is worth checking out at http://www.flickr.com/photos/louisb/

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

A few of the page layouts from "Past Traces"

A few screen grabs here of the page layouts from the book. Unfortunately blurb.com only allow you to preview the first 15 pages on their site, so these are from later on in the book.

The former George Yard looking north.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PT screen grab 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	657680

A montage showing Puma Court.

Name:	PT screen grab 2.jpg
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	657681

The layout of Church Passage

Name:	PT screen grab 3.jpg
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	657682

A page all about the City Police officers beats in the vicinity of Mitre Square.

Name:	PT screen grab 4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	657683

One of the chapter heading pages. This one shows Princelet Street.

Name:	PT screen grab 5.jpg
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	657684

All the best
      Andrew

Comment

Stunning images, Andrew-now I'm even happier I have the book on order. Thanks for posting them.

-Jenny

Comment

Just thought I'd add that my copy of Louis Berk's "Walk to Work" arrived the other day, and it really is everything I was expecting and more. For those of us who also have a general interest in the streets and buildings of the east end, as well as an interest in JtR, this really does come highly recommended.

I've left some feedback over on Louis' blurb page:
          "I cannot recommend this book enough! Featuring a beautiful collection of photos taken in and around the east end of London on the author's morning walk to work; hence the title. Louis has a real talent for spotting scenes that many would think of being "mundane" or "ordinary" but capturing them in such an eye-catching way that really makes you think. The book documents the amazing change of scenery in little over a mile, between the glass office towers around Liverpool Street, and the small market stalls serving the local communities around Whitechapel station. The standard of photography is excellent throughout; different lighting conditions being used to good effect, with colours and contrast on each image particularly apparent. Very much recommended for anyone with an interest in the east end of London, and for anyone who likes urban photography. My congratulations to Mr Berk!"

All the best
          Andrew

Comment

Andrew

could you tell me how i go about ordering this book,with all the rave reviews i dont think i can miss out.
            Thanks
            Dixon9
            still learning

Comment

dont worry i have found the link,just getting a bit old

Comment

Thinking of buying it,looks good!

The sample pages look great.How many pages is the book?

Comment

50 give a take one or two- just counted them in my copy!- There's dedication for you!!!
                  'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Suzi,

It's 60 sheets of paper, not counting the cover, so in book terms that's actually 120 pages (sides)!

All the best
                    Andrew

Comment

As we're no longer allowed to have hyperlinks in our signatures, I thought I'd just mention that the book can be purchased exclusively from blurb.com here.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/834754

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

Just thought I'd share this preliminary cover design for a work in progress.

Expected completion date, late 2010.

Name:	Fragments of the East End cover idea.jpg
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	658976

All the best
                        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                          As we're no longer allowed to have hyperlinks in our signatures, I thought I'd just mention that the book can be purchased exclusively from blurb.com here.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/834754

All the best
                          Andrew
                          Since when? I have a link in my signature, no-one has told me this??

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                            Since when? I have a link in my signature, no-one has told me this??
                            Yes, I noticed you had a link in your signature. The Casebook moderators must have relaxed the rules and kept quiet about it!

All the best
                            Andrew

Comment

Hmm, I may see if I can slip under the radar for a bit longer then...is that wrong?

Comment

I'm saying nothing....

Comment

Working...
                                X