Past Traces: Andrew Firth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Traces: Andrew Firth

A separate thread is warranted, I feel. My copy arrived yesterday.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PT%20cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	669702

One word: EXQUISITE.

Anybody who is interested in the East End's associations with the Whitechapel Murders should get this book. It's bloody marvellous.

The photography is second to none, reproduction quality is superb and the layout is sublime. It works so well on so many different levels. Even the overlays and street hybrid reconstructions are so subtly done that some of them are like little works of art in themselves. The Hanbury Street one had me giving a double take, it's done so well.

Before I end up in 'Pseud's Corner', I'll just say that I can't praise this wonderful little book enough. When it comes to depicting Ripper's London, Andrew has raised the bar. And then some.

At £17 it's worth every penny. Buy it, or I'll send the boys round.

I concur. Mine arrived yesterday too (along with Louis Berk's also worthy My Walk To Work').

Yep, it's a beauty and worth every penny and then some. Why on earth Andrew was apologising for the price of £17 is beyond me.

Imagine Andrew's usual style of photography, interspersed with many examples of the sort of thing Rob did for the cover of our book with the old and new photos of Crispin Street, and you get the idea. All in sharp, beautiful colour.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Right!

If its good enough for Ron n Reg above then its good enough for me.

I'll make my order.

Andrew, I know youre reading this, youre the author and ego drags us all to adulation, will you be going to the conference?

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
        Why on earth Andrew was apologising for the price of £17 is beyond me.
        I've just got this pre-conceived idea in my head, that for that price it should have been a hardback book, not softback. That's all really!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback; it's really been an absolute pleasure to put together. I'm very pleased that people are enjoying it so much!

All the best
        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
          Andrew, I know youre reading this, youre the author and ego drags us all to adulation, will you be going to the conference?

Monty
          Wish I was Monty, but I'm afraid I missed the boat on that one.

Andrew

Comment

Damn, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
              Damn, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Monty
              Well, I suppose I could always hang around outside selling chestnuts!

Andrew

Comment

You could!...or maybe lurk to sign copies of the book!!! I concur with John some of those overlays are heart stopping!!!
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I'd love to do some more of those overlays, but unfortunately the original source material, (i.e. the old photographs) tend to still be in copyright, so it's a bit of a no-go. But on the photos front, I'll be taking more shots in the next few months, which will appear on the East End Photographs and Drawings thread, and also will go on my Flickr page.

All the best
                  Andrew

Comment

I ordered a copy of the book as soon as I heard about it, and a copy of Louis Berk's also. I (like all of us, I'm sure) am a great admirer of Andrew's work. Virtually the only regret I have about living out here in the far reaches of the (former) Empire, is that it takes so long for books from the UK to arrive.

Comment

GM,

Your wait may not be all that long. UK and Europe orders are printed up and mailed from the Netherlands, but my understanding is, that with orders from Canada and the US, they're printed on that side of the pond.

The joys of electronic publishing eh?

All the best
                      Andrew

Comment

I've just finally ordered Past Traces and can't wait. Talk about testimonials...the video didn't hurt either. All these things will have to suffice til my next trip to those parts.

I discovered I've ordered from Blurb before, incidentally; it was a very well produced volume and I'm sure they'll ship quickly, printing as you say from within the US.
                        -Jenny

Comment

Hi Andrew,

You were right. The book had arrived when I got home this evening. It was mailed from Seattle.

I've had a quick look-through, and it's excellent. You, once again, show me the difference between a photographer (me) and a talented photographer (you). Some of your stuff is pure art, mate. I have shots of nearly everything that you do, but mine aren't half as good. I'll try using your technique of low angles. (Although, believe me, the older you get, the harder that is to do.)

I'll spend more time with your book this evening and will, undoubtedly, be back with more praise.

Comment

Wow. Well, the photos, montages, and text are all first-rate. It's an exceptionally good book, Andrew. Congratulations.

Comment

I'm not going to start a separate thread for this because, technically, it isn't related to JtR, but Louis Berk's book Walk to Work is well worth acquiring in addition to Andrew's. Berk isn't particularly interested in our boy, although he mentions him once or twice; nonetheless, those of us with an interest in the East End will find much to admire here. The standard edition, hardcover, is only about $45 (US) and is also available from Blurb. Berk has captured some great shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X