The London of JTR Now and Then, Clack and Hutchinson
    JTR Encyclopedia, Eddleston,
    The Victims of JTR, Sheldon
    The First JTR Victims Photographs, McLaughlin
    JTR Casebook, Jones

JTR The Facts, Begg
    The Complete History of JTR, Sugden
    The Complete JTR, Rumbelow

I could go on, but those few books are the rulers of the ripperological rings!!
    Regards Mike

Comment

Thanks for the adivces I think that Sudgen will be my choice
      But Begg and Rumbelow are definitively on my list (and many others xDD )
      http://crimenesdewhitechapel.blogspot.com
      My usual nick is Irene Adler

Comment

Sugden will try and convince you that George Chapman was the most viable Ripper suspect, Morgana. When he does so, close your ears, and then read on. The rest of the book is as good as it gets.

Regards,
        Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          Sugden will try and convince you that George Chapman was the most viable Ripper suspect
          Hi Fisherman

I think you're being just a little hard on Sugden there. He really goes for the 'unknown local' suspect and says that Chapman is not likely to have been JTR but nevertheless is the 'best of a bad bunch' as regards suspects named in the historical records which is fair enough

Best wishes
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Stephen Thomas writes:

"nevertheless ... the 'best of a bad bunch' as regards suspects named in the historical records which is fair enough"

You can have a point on that first score, Stephen, long as you allow me the point on the question of Chapmans viability...!

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

Best books on JTR.

Morgana, I agree with most of what people have said about the main books for commencing study of JTR. However, another way to start is to source whatever books the local library has as they are free and you get around to the weighty tomes such as Sugden, Begg, Skinner and the likes eventually. For an easy read and a reasonable overview Donald Rumbelow's is the easiest IMHO.

I really enjoyed some of the more esoteric and discredited books,such as Melvyn Fairclough's "The Ripper & the Royals," and Stephen Knight's "JTR-The Final Solution. One doesn't have to agree with an author's "solution' to enjoy the book and gain some understanding of the social mores of the time.

A book not mentioned much but known to all and readily and cheaply available is The Mammoth book of JTR. It has about 16 articles by different authors and an overview of the case. I also really enjoyed Paul Feldman's "JTR-The Final Chapter. I have two copies of Rumbelow, Two copies of Fairclough and see lots of cheap second hand "Uncle Jack's" in the bookshops in Sydney. Work out a way to get them to Barcelona cheaply and they're yours!

Comment

Ive had Sugdens book recommended to me and its brilliant, Ive also got Then and Now, great for photos of London and the area!

Comment

WOW Thanks for the advices : )
                  http://crimenesdewhitechapel.blogspot.com
                  My usual nick is Irene Adler

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Sarah View Post
                    Ive had Sugdens book recommended to me and its brilliant, Ive also got Then and Now, great for photos of London and the area!
                    If you add the Sourcebook,these are the ones I go back to.......Although I think there's a copy of the Diary propping up a table somewhere........
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X