Jack the Ripper A-Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper A-Z

A thread for discussion, reviews and questions on Jack the Ripper A-Z, Paul Begg, Martin Fido, Keith Skinner.
    Regards Mike

Here is a link for anyone wishing to buy this book,

Regards Mike
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi

I had a lot of interest in the ripper since a friend gave a me box full of books on the ripper. Some of these books are so weird I dont think the Ripper was from royalty!!

Best book I think for general informaton is the AZ but the one I have from my friend is a 1994 edition and falling to pieces. Is there a new edition of this great book? I looked at Amazon but it doesnt say.

This is my first post. Have looked at this website for a long time though, until it crashed - that was sad. I only just noticed it's up again so I made the decison to join in

Thanks everyone

Phizzie

Comment

Hi Phizzie, at the moment Amazon UK is showing 4 used for about £12.00!!
        Regards Mike

Comment

I'm wondering when the new edition will be out. I understand there is some delay. Does anyone know if it will be a hard cover book and how large (width, height and # of pages)?
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

The Amazon UK site said it would be released this year, the first Quarter, which leaves only next month, but they have since removed that as there are several copies available second hand!!

So no ideas just yet, but as soon as i know, you will know, as I have mentioned previously, this is one book I don't have but want!!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

I have the older version in the trade-back format and it's usually the first thing I go to when I have a question. You can find things easily if they are in there and it's full of stuff.

Twelve pounds? Maybe I should think about selling it. The new price was only 8.99 pounds.

Stan Reid

Comment

£12.00 was the lowest aswell, there were a couple more on offer at higher prices, I saw one gofor about £20 a few months ago, I was tempted, but talk of a new edition, made me change my mind.

But I was tempted again today......
                Regards Mike

Comment

The most recent news from someone who definitely knows first-hand is that it might even be changing publishers, which mean the release date is probably more along the lines of a year away or longer instead of this month.

Dan Norder
                  Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                  Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Indeed. The publisher for this one is linked to a publisher I've written for and they've been changing hands and names frequently over the last couple of years. Every time they say it'll get better and it gets worse and worse. I'm still waiting for royalties I was due three months ago and they are now trying to get people to write for them for 5% of the publisher's receipts - that's about 2% of the cover price. Really worth doing, don't you think?

In the circumstances I am not at all surprised the authors are considering telling the publisher where to stick it. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'll quickly add here it's NOT the publisher of the book Rob and I did last year.

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

That's not good news.

(This is the sixth time now that I've tried to send this.)

Stan Reid

Comment

In the meantime, they'll be issuing a truncated version: The Jack the Ripper A-K.
                        Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

The authors will need to make another update before it finally comes out.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                            The authors will need to make another update before it finally comes out.
                            I doubt that's a very big concern of theirs.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                              this is one book I don't have but want!!
                              Hi Mike

Given what's been said above I'd advise you to get a second hand copy of this wonderful book. I assure you that you won't be disappointed. If I could only have one Ripper book this would be it. The cross referencing is very cleverly done so you can start reading one entry, come to something in bold type which indicates another entry and flip to that and before you know it you're zig-zagging all over the book. No wonder 2 or 3 people here have said that their copy is falling to pieces.

Best wishes
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                              X