The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs

A thread for discussion, reviews and questions on, The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, Robert J. McLaughlin.
    Regards Mike

Having spoke to Robert last night on the Ripper Podcast, I must say I really really want this book.

Robert knows his stuff, he has done some great research and I would love to get my hands on a copy.

Everone speaks very highly about this piece of work.

The book was released initially on a limited run, Robert announced last night that he may well revisit the book with a view to adding more research and releasing it again.

One can only hope!

Mike
    Regards Mike

Comment

Recovered text of previous discussion from the Google cache

Full Version : Rob McLaughlin's book ...
      draughtbones
      5th February 2007, 04:22 PM
      Hi folks, so glad to be here. Could someone please direct me (maybe even Robert) to where I can buy "The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs " -- can I buy it directly from the author? Thanks so much.

Christopher
      George Hutchinson
      5th February 2007, 04:52 PM
      Hi Christopher.

There is a thread for Rob's book. It was strictly limited edition and sold out very quickly (obviously) and though you can find copies, they ain't cheap!

I know for certain that RUPERT BOOKS have a copy for £60. A rare case of it actually being worth it. Find the link here : http://www.geocities.com/rupertbooks/ripper.htm

Copies do turn up on eBay about once every couple of months. I think there might even be one live right now.

Yep - here we are : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-First-Jack...tegoryZ2240QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just call me a God.

PHILIP (Deity)
      draughtbones
      5th February 2007, 05:24 PM
      Thanks, George, for your reply. I cannot seem to figure out how to contact the bookseller at that link you gave me, even though I do see the book listed there. Any hints? Also, regarding the thread pertaining to Robert's book, I thought I saw a post of his saying that one could get it directly from him, either by checque or money order, etc. I wonder if this is still true, or if this post was made shrtly after the book's release. Hmmmm....
      tom_wescott
      5th February 2007, 05:28 PM
      Christopher,

Rupert Books is an awesome place, but so is www.laybooks.com (http://www.laybooks.com) which specializes in Ripper books. Hefty prices, but I'm not aware of a single person who wasn't totally satisfied with their experience ordering from Loretta Lay. Through her you might even be able to get a signed copy! As for Phil Hutchinson being a 'god', I'm afraid he's inflating his title a bit. Last time I checked he was still only a demi-god.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      Glenn L Andersson
      5th February 2007, 05:30 PM
      Yes, but still dressed in shorts.

All the best
      George Hutchinson
      5th February 2007, 05:52 PM
      Yes, but still dressed in shorts.

All the best

That would make me a semi-(trouser)- God.

Weak, I know.

Christopher, just e-mail Dixon (his name) at : dixon.smith@btinternet.com, which is the e-mail address given for Rupert Books and tell him you're after Rob's book. He's a very nice guy (Dixon). Rob's sort-of OK too.

Yes, Rob saying he had copies of his book would have been when it was published in October 2005. Most of the 100 numbered copies sold at the Brighton Conference. I remember getting a copy from Rob in his room with Eduardo Zinna. The copies had been sent to the hotel and there were several boxes of them stacked up. All copies sold out within weeks. That's why I got two.

However, in the meantime, if you're on eBay go and bid on the link I sent. It's currently only at £20-odd with 2 days to go and I happen to know who the seller is; they are a fairly big name in the Ripper world and totally trustworthy. They don't post on Casebook, though.

PHILIP
      tom_wescott
      5th February 2007, 05:59 PM
      Philip,

Are you sure there were only 100 copies of Rob's book printed?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      George Hutchinson
      5th February 2007, 06:05 PM
      Hi Tom.

There were 100 numbered copies; just normal ones which Rob hand-numbered (though I happen to know there's actually 101 as I was standing next to him when he did it during the morning break on the Saturday).

I've read there was only 300 copies printed. If that makes 400 with the numbered ones, I don't know.

PHILIP
      tom_wescott
      5th February 2007, 07:22 PM
      Hmmmm....I need to check to see if mine is numbered. I'm sure it is since I wasted no time in ordering it when it became available.

Yours truly ,

Tom Wescott
      adamwood
      5th February 2007, 07:50 PM
      Hi all

I handled the layout and production of Rob's book and can confirm it had a print run of 300 copies, with the first 100 being numbered.

I have no. 1!

Adam
      needler
      5th February 2007, 08:13 PM
      In case anyone is interested, I have three signed, but UN-numbered copies of Rob's book for sale...$40 apiece, plus post costs...I just haven't had a chance to get them up on eBay yet.

Cheers,

Judy Stock
      needler@ntelos.net
      tom_wescott
      5th February 2007, 08:20 PM
      Hi all

I handled the layout and production of Rob's book and can confirm it had a print run of 300 copies, with the first 100 being numbered.

I have no. 1!

Adam

Adam,

That's right, you did. And a fine job you did as well. I'm glad there were 300 and not only 100 copies printed. It's far too good a book to disappear so quickly into collections. Hopefully, Rob's research continues to pay dividends and we'll all have a second edition to look forward to.
      That's cool you have #1. I always figured the author kept that for himself. But I know first hand what a generous guy Rob is so it doesn't surprise me. I just hope you're not using it as a coaster!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      draughtbones
      5th February 2007, 08:57 PM
      BOY!, all you folks with #'d copies are very lucky, indeed. I will keep up my search. I am in the medical field, and have always been interested in the "intricasies" of the JTR case. Incidentally, does any of you gentlemen (ladies too :} ) know the ONLINE whereabouts of the victim pictures scanned at the highest possible resolution? There are a couple (MJK esp.) that I want very much to have made poster size (20" X 24" maybe?), and the print shoppe has the gear, but I need a hi-res image. Until I can get Rob's book, this plan will have to suffice

Thanks a bunch,
      Chris
      draughtbones
      5th February 2007, 08:59 PM
      PLEASE, Needler ... put one aside for me. I am @ work right now, but I will email you tonight regarding it. I am ready to pay immediately! Thank you.

Christopher
      (draughtbones@hotmail.com)
      needler
      5th February 2007, 10:29 PM
      Christopher.....one is set aside for you, and thanks!!

Judy
      Glenn L Andersson
      5th February 2007, 10:39 PM
      Chris,

As far as an online big high resolution copy of MJK is concerned, try this one:

It is still jpg, though, and not TIFF. But still...

All the best
      George Hutchinson
      5th February 2007, 11:51 PM
      If you want to PM me, Christopher, just to confirm what you want, I have pretty big jpegs of most of them. You can always use sharpening tools and adjust the size and resolution with your scanner software or in Photoshop.

Glad you got a result with Judy's sale - worked out well for both of you.

PHILIP
      draughtbones
      6th February 2007, 02:51 AM
      Thank you Glenn (for the pic link) and Judy (re. the book) both very much for all the assistance. And to Philip: thanks so much for your offer ... I will contact you via this board when I need those larger file .JPG's. Incidentally, are the .TIFF versions of most of the images readily available close by or not? Would this be my best bet if I wanted really professional-looking poster-size repros of the scene/mortuary pics? This forum is really top drawer! Thanks,
      Chris
      tom_wescott
      6th February 2007, 02:59 AM
      I double-checked now that I'm home and my copy is indeed numbered...54 to be exact...and signed by the man himself.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      RJM
      6th February 2007, 03:24 AM
      Chris,

I hope you enjoy my book. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed.

Judy,

You're too nice; you should charge more!!!

Tom,

I have #2: I lost #1 in a drinking game
      Seriously though, Adam deserved the first copy for all of the hard work in making me look good.

It kills me though, to see these recent JtR publications (Trenouth, the ones by Lulu Press etc) that are just cobbled together by bits of info copied from the internet. I spent countless hours, lots of money, and received a ton of help to produce some original research. I just don't see the point of publishing a book on the Whitechapel murders if it has nothing new to offer.

Cheers,

Robert
      tom_wescott
      6th February 2007, 03:50 AM
      Robert,

The rest of us agree with you, of course. I've spent a lot of money on crap books I never even finished reading once. The rate of plaguirism lately has just been mindboggling. One book after another. The good thing about it is, with the reviews here at the Casebook, and in Ripperologist and Ripper Notes, people can be warned in advance in most cases so they don't waste their money. It's the poor sap just surfing Amazon for the most recent Ripper book (thinking that makes it the most reliable) who gets taken unawares. Some books I'm looking forward to are:

*Whittington-Egan's long-promised book

*Paul Begg's upcoming Ripper books (which of course include the new A-Z)

* RJ Palmer's Tumblety book

* Robert Linford and AP Wolf's totally new Cutbush book

* Stewart Evans' next book

* Linford/O'Flaherty/Savage's book on East End Coroners

* Thomas Schachner's reprint of that ultra-rare Ripper book.

Are there any I should be mentioning but that have skipped my mind? Anyway, the future doesn't look bad at all for Ripperature.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      tom_wescott
      6th February 2007, 04:00 AM
      I should have added 'Ripperology: Best of Ripperologist', but since it's on the horizon it didn't come right to mind. I was thinking of books that were much longer off. But I'm looking forward to that one as well, even with their hefty, Eddleston-like price tag of seven bucks.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      George Hutchinson
      6th February 2007, 11:47 AM
      Hi Tom.

I won a copy of RIPPEROLOGY / RIPPEROLOGIST off eBay for £5.50 a couple of days ago. A copy already in the UK which is in the post to me now.

I've got copies #19 and #59 of Rob's book. Go on - someone outdo me (besides Adam and Rob).

I agree with you; amongst the piles of crap there are some decent and respectable works coming out. Having just received my first cheque from my publisher for a book they claim is one of their best sellers, and that sum being a quarter of what I expected and means I have done a month's work on a very popular book for just a week's wages, I can now appreciate why the other authors say they don't get rich on it. I get 5% on the cover price (not the 10% they told me) and any they sell to book clubs at a reduced price, I don't get a penny. So unless you sell truckloads, the charge that people do it for cash is wrong!

PHILIP
      Glenn L Andersson
      6th February 2007, 12:05 PM
      Hi Philip,

Yes, I am afraid that is the hard truth. In order to actually make some money on it -- and one is not among those famous authors who can puch forward a good deal -- you already need to have at least four or five books in the bag behind you already. You also need to work on a couple of books simultaneously from which you can receive advances from, while you cash in sales from the earlier ones. But until that, things will get pretty tough.

And of course, it is also a matter of the size of the edition and how big the market is. For those writing books in the English language things are better in that respect since that means there is a chance for reaching a bigger audience and printing larger editions, but that is of course taken into account, that the publishing house has the means to distribute over large geographical areas or internationally.

All the best
      jdpegg
      7th February 2007, 12:34 PM
      Rob's book is fantastic, not only that Rob is a really nice guy (i know because i sat next to him at the banquet at brighton!!)

The book is imho a classic of the field.

Philip,

i cant outdo you - i just checked and my copy is number 36

Jenni
      rclack
      7th February 2007, 12:44 PM
      I've got number 11

Rob
      jdpegg
      7th February 2007, 12:51 PM
      hahaaaahhaaaaaa

i wonder who has numbers 3 through to ten!?
      George Hutchinson
      7th February 2007, 05:19 PM
      Ah, but Rob's got an acknowledgement in the book so I can let him off having an earlier copy.

I suspect a certain SPE would have one of the top 5, wouldn't you?

PHILIP
      jdpegg
      7th February 2007, 09:57 PM
      I don't know - after all - he wasnt at Brighton!
      Glenn L Andersson
      7th February 2007, 10:04 PM
      Mine isn't numbered (I was stupid enough not to buy one in Brighton), but I am happy as hell that I actually managed to get a copy! To hell with the numbering, I am proud of having it among my stack of books.

All the best
      jdpegg
      7th February 2007, 10:06 PM
      I didnt get mine at the conference either,

i had some good luck!
      Glenn L Andersson
      7th February 2007, 10:16 PM
      Amen to that, miss Cheese.

All the best
      Natalie Severn
      7th February 2007, 10:24 PM
      I didnt get mine at the conference either,

i had some good luck!

I did too Jen-and I think its brilliant too!
      Nats
      Debra A
      7th February 2007, 11:07 PM
      Mine isn't numbered (I was stupid enough not to buy one in Brighton), but I am happy as hell that I actually managed to get a copy! To hell with the numbering, I am proud of having it among my stack of books.

All the best

Same here Glenn!...thought I'd missed out completely, but thanks to the generosity of two Robert's I got a surprise copy, not numbered, but a lovely little dedication inside it. I love the book, and looking forward to the next one very much.
      Glenn L Andersson
      7th February 2007, 11:24 PM
      I totally agree, Debs.
      And it was nice of him to put a dedication in mine as well.

All the best
      tom_wescott
      7th February 2007, 11:35 PM
      Mine just says, 'You ain't worth the paper this is printed on, ya damn blockhead. But at least I got ya money! - Bobby Mac'

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      Glenn L Andersson
      7th February 2007, 11:41 PM
      Tom,

Are you sure that isn't a copy of The Final Solution?

All the best
      tom_wescott
      8th February 2007, 02:43 AM
      Could be. I have Robert sign all my Ripper books.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      Edward Hyde
      16th April 2007, 06:47 AM
      Judy,

I know it's probably a little late, but do you still have a copy of
      "The Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs" by Robert McLaughlin?

I tried 2 years ago to order it from the publishing company and
      was told they had none left and McLaughlin himself, who replied
      that he had just sold his last one back in December 2005.

I tried Ebay, but they got so exspensive.

Can you or anyone help?

Desperate for a copy.
      George Hutchinson
      16th April 2007, 08:27 AM
      Hi Edward

I can't speak for Judy, but it was an expensive book to start with. Having such a small run and being so popular, you simply will not be able to find a copy cheaply. Expect to pay a minimum of £50 / $100 for one now and probably a good deal more. You are very unlikely to find one cheaply as everyone who has a copy is aware of its value.

PHILIP

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        Having spoke to Robert last night on the Ripper Podcast, I must say I really really want this book.

Robert knows his stuff, he has done some great research and I would love to get my hands on a copy.

Everone speaks very highly about this piece of work.

The book was released initially on a limited run, Robert announced last night that he may well revisit the book with a view to adding more research and releasing it again.

One can only hope!

Mike
        just out of interest (a hell of a lot of interest), is there any news on this newer edition, or have i already missed it?

joel
        if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Hey, stop it! I don't want to see another edition. I've got two copies of the original: one numbered, both signed. I was hoping, when the time comes, that their sale would help supplement my pension. So just keep quiet, will you.

Comment

Me to please? Any word on a new edition... or a current one for sale?

Comment

Just checked Amazon,ebay,Laybooks,Abebooks- nuttin!!
              Wish I'd bought one at Brighton!
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Sushka, ask GM, he has two copies!!!

I'm sure you have a picture of me and Diddles, Suzi. Of course, it's not the same but it will have to suffice for the time being I'm afraid.

I'm still gathering information. Truth be told, other great researchers find material and send it to me and make me look good. I have a couple avenues that need exploring, but there is the possibility of a another edition next year.

Cheers,

Robert

Comment

Well, that's good news. Fingers crossed, as I consider this volume to be a major hole in my Ripper shelf.

B.
                  Bailey
                  Wellington, New Zealand
                  hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                  www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Since writing that Robert very kindly sent me a signed copy and it is fantastic, and I am looking forward to a new edition. I would urge anyone and everyone to get this book, the photographs of the victims are very clear, and the research is amazing!

Regards Mike

Comment

That is wonderful news, Robert. Thanks for taking the time to respond. So GM, want to get rid of one of your copies !!!??? hee hee

Sushka

Comment

Drat!

Comment

Pent up demand for second edition

Wow! an auction on ebay has just concluded with a signed edition of The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, going for 111 pounds. I dropped out well before that. Looks like some very heated bidding during the last hours.

Any chance for a second edition Robert anytime soon (or are you releasing some secret stash of first editions on ebay!!??

Sushka

Comment

I was fortunate enough to get a copy of the book (Cheers, Herr J!) and I must say, it was a great read, especially since I'm keen on photography as well. I wouldn't have thought the meagre selection of photos we have of the victims would provide enough material to fill even a slim volume, but it's a fabulous result, and the photos are reproduced very well. I'd certainly be keen to see an expanded edition - perhaps RJM and Neal could bump heads to get the history of the Chapman photo included for completion too.

B.
                            Bailey
                            Wellington, New Zealand
                            hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                            www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Great book, great guy.

Ive a signed copy and its worth far more than £111 to me.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                              X