The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

A thread for the discussion, reviews and questions on The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper, Edited by Maxim Jakubowski and Nathan Braund.
    Regards Mike

Hi ho

I didnt think much of it at all. At least some of the essays.

There was some very weird stuff on Kelly. If it was true...then its a bit of a joke discussing her background here at all as everything is known.

There was weirdness about astrology or something as well in one essay.

There was one good example of how a suspect can be constructed out of anybody at all.

p

Comment

Hi Mr Poster, good to see you have made your way back on.

2 things threw me with this book, my cover says "Comprehensive A-Z" looks more like an index to me!

Then the re-issue of the book was entitled "The A-Z" so i bought it twice!!!

The text you refer to is by Simon Whitechapel (whatta name) and includes moon phases, signs of the zodiac, and math calculations. I kinda got lost at the math bit, being a bit of a numbskull.

There are currently no copies of this book available on the uk amazon site, if this changes i will post a link.

Mike
      Regards Mike

Comment

This book is available

I have just purchased it from History Guild (Books Direct)

Some weird essays and a desperate plea of an essay from Shirley Harrison (The Diary).
        Living the Dream!

Comment

Yes, I've got that one. I also want The Mammoth Book of Killers at Large which just came out. JtR is a segment, I think.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

No this is The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper.
            Living the Dream!

Comment

Hi Rev,

Yes, I've got that one now.

Stan Reid

Comment

I just read a synopsis on the this "at Large" book and it lists the Green River Killer. If it's that far out of date then it may not be worth much. He was caught years ago.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                  I also want The Mammoth Book of Killers at Large
                  No you probably don't want that one by the same author. Early on he says the Atlanta child murderer is still at large, because he claims Wayne Williams is innocent. So I thought, is this gonna be killers at large, or wrongful convictions, or both boss, and took it back to the library. Just my opinion, of course.

Roy
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

Hi Roy,

Yes, after reading that stuff, I'm glad I didn't rush to order it.

Stan Reid

Comment

The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

The first edition of this book (right below) was published in 1999. The new, revised 2008 edition (left below) has only just been published. It is different from the first edition with some new entries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mbjtr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	653750
                      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

I have those two and one with a red spine, which is the 2005 edition.
                        Attached Files
                        Regards Mike

Comment

Huge!

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                          I have those two and one with a red spine, which is the 2005 edition.
                          That's a huge scan there Mike!

I think you will find that the 2005 edition was a straight reprint of the first edition, which is why I didn't bother buying a copy. However, the 2008 edition is revised and updated, with some new content. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Your right Stewart, what was worse, was the fact that it was advertised on Amazon as "Jack the Ripper, A-Z"!!

As you can imagine I had a few words with Amazon and the seller, but kept it anyway.
                            Regards Mike

Comment

The Mammoth Book of Mike Covell

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans
                              That's a huge scan there Mike!
                              Correction, it was a Mammoth scan.

I wasn't aware that the new edition had new stuff in it. I'll need to buy it. Like Stewart, I didn't bother with the 2005 edition, particularly with it's misleading title.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X