No announcement yet.

The London of Jack the Ripper - Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a bummer! Gee, I wish I'd kept that spare copy now, it'll be worth a bomb!

Have you still got a few in the personal stash, Mr H?

Do you think you might have some luck with a paperback edition? Not as flash obviously, but perhaps an easier sell?

B.
    Bailey
    Wellington, New Zealand
    hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
    www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

What a load of balls! The book, is the freshest ripper related book to come out in years, a wonderful pictorial history, and has some kick ass pictures! The people making this decision are more out of touch than Gordon Brown!
      Regards Mike

Comment

Got mine from Borders in the history section...So for those looking........
        Steve

Comment

I have no copies except my own one. They are sending me the last two copies they had in stock. They need petitioning and I agree a paperback would have been an ideal opportunity to make the revisions and keep it in print. Slimmer in size and cheaper to produce, but they've not even suggested that as a viable option.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
            Got mine from Borders in the history section...
            I saw one in (ahem) Harrods before Christmas.

I'm sorry to hear about the situation, Philip. You must be furious.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
              I have no copies except my own one. They are sending me the last two copies they had in stock. They need petitioning and I agree a paperback would have been an ideal opportunity to make the revisions and keep it in print. Slimmer in size and cheaper to produce, but they've not even suggested that as a viable option.

PHILIP
              Not doing the grandmother/eggs thing,but I reckon it'd fit really well in the Tempus catalogue...And add a map......
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                Just had some news which is leaving me utterly bewildered and Google searching is confirming it.

Our publisher, Breedon Books, have sold out. Because it is over a year since the book came out, in spite of steady sales, they have told me they are not going to reprint it unless a large order for 500+ copies comes in (which, let's face it, is not going to happen in one go).

I went searching for copies online and indeed hardly anywhere has it now. PLAY have sold out. The only copy on ABE is one that Loretta has. Amazon supposedly have a few copies left but not with much discount anymore. Any other site with copies is linking to Amazon. There's half a dozen copies from two sellers on eBay. That's it. On Amazon, there's a seller with two copies at nearly $150 apiece.

I have sent the publisher some strongly worded e-mails but it looks like if you don't have it now, if you don't get it soon you might not get it at all. It's bizarre. If I'd known they wouldn't reprint (my other publisher prints until it no longer sells) then I would never have approached them in the first place but gone to another hardback publisher.

If they are not going to reprint, it might be an idea if Rob and I can reclaim the rights and approach another publisher with the alterations we want to make.

All this the day after my next book (not Ripper-related) went off to the publisher!

PHILIP
                Hi Philip,

Well, looks like I was doing the right thing bying it at an early stage.

I have to say it is strange policy displayed by your publisher here.

If my publisher had sold out on my book, then they immediately would have reprinted it.
                After all, the fact that your book is already sold out on practically every marketplace or in every store would be seen as a good sign by any intelligent publisher, and thus there would be no financial risk in reprinting it. And if they would do it in paperback, the costs would be minimal.

I don't get it. The sales have shown that the book obviously sells, so what's their problem?

Well, if they don't plan to reprint it, you and Rob certainly would be able to claim the righths for it and present it elsewhere.
                Sorry to hear about these problems because it's an excellent book and it is definitely worth an new edition or reprint if it's no longer available on the market.

By the way: good luck with that new book of yours, Phil.

All the best
                The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

A facebook group has been set up to show support for this excellent title,

Regards Mike

Comment

Just checked Amazon- there's one 'Used-like new' going for £144.38 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Waterstones report medium level stocks at their Basildon branch.

Comment

Ditto Waterstones Portsmouth (£12.99)- bargain!!
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I managed to order one from Waterstones on line £12.99 and free postage.

Can someone tell me, once a publisher has agreed to publish a book, who owns the rights? Are the authors free to use another publisher?

Generally, what do people think of using Lulu (self publishing) particularly for small print runs?

Comment

Yet more poor business decisions on behalf of some CEO. If the book has been selling well, and clearly it has, then they should reprint this book at least once more. These publishing houses all want to streamline themselves to "best-sellers," which usually means the quality books get dumped.
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I spoke too soon. At least Amazon are up front about the stock situation.

Unfortunately the publisher has confirmed that the item/s shown below
                              are not currently available, but an item request has been placed with
                              the suppliers so that we can fulfil your order.

Comment

Hi, everybody. I was just extending my very long "Wish List" on Amazon.com, and noticed that there are as yet NO Reader reviews for Rob & Phil's book. (At least not on the American site). It wouldn't be kosher for me to add one, as I haven't yet read the book- mostly because there is like 1 copy available and it is now $140.00!!!

But I thought one of you who have read it might want to write a review... I often read them, and perhaps other shoppers do as well. Maybe it would even encourage their silly publisher to print some more copies!

Comment

Working...
                                X