Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the worst Ripper book you've ever read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patricia Cornwell ,'Portrait of a Killer'
    I couldn't get half way through it and tossed it in the bin,it was so inaccurate on many things !!

Comment

But the list continues.....

"The Jack the Ripper walk" by Louis London Walks is a little red book, filled with big red errors

"Jack the Ripper Infamous London Serial Killer" is a copy and paste job, with GIANT FONT and only 52 pages long (most of which are legal jargon) has to be up there with the worst!

Whilst I did say that "Black Magic Rituals" was on my list, I do have fond memories of reading it. I had it packed in my hospital bag for several visits, alongside Paul Beggs "The Facts", and Evans and Skinner's "Ultimate JTR Sourcebook"
      All three books helped me through a very dark period, and for that I am greatful.
      Regards Mike

Comment

I'm going to reserve judgement on my worst Ripper read until the much-heralded docu-novel by a certain descendant of Mr McC comes out. If you think that's harsh, try reading 'A Variety of Orchids' by the same author, available on Amazon for 1p!

Comment

Absolutely agreed on Patricia Cornwell! Awful, awful, awful.
          Last edited by dlew919; 09-29-2008, 04:26 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

A bit of a belated response on my part but yes, Stephen, that was an eerie photo of Tower Bridge under construction. I'd never considered the possibility that it might have been underway in 1888. Nice meeting you are the WS as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
              Have we all forgotten the Duck, and the clunk of his Samsonite briefcase?
              Will Cap'n Jack or someone please explain this quote to me? It's got nothing to do with Keith Harris has it?

Elizabeth
              JustForJolly

Après moi, le déluge

Comment

The worst Ripper book in my opinion (and I am surprised to have not seen it mentioned so far) is Richard Wallace's Jack the Ripper: Light Hearted Friend, naming Lewis Carroll as the Ripper. So bad I only got a quarter way through.

Best regards

Adam
                Best regards,
                Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

The awful boring book about MJD that I couldn't remember was Ripper Suspect by D J Leighton. Admittedly you can't get much of a book out of the known facts of Druitt's life, maybe a pamphlet but to fill up with going on and on about cricket is just evil. Unless you like cricket that is.

Elizabeth
                  JustForJolly

Après moi, le déluge

Comment

Hello All,
                    I too would have to say the worst one I've read so far has to be Patsy Cornwell's Portrait of a Killer. I still can't believe I wasted money on that rubbish. She really needs to stick to fiction, as she's much better at it obviously...all she did with this book was try to turn fiction into reality and it didn't work at all. I haven't read many books on the subject, but I am always looking to expand my knowledge.
                    All the best,
                    nickie

Comment

What makes a bad Ripper book; one that's poorly done or one where you don't like the conclusion? I don't agree with Cornwell's take but her book is not poorly written.
                      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hmm......Ripper Suspect....Yes,most boring...
                        Black Magic Rituals...Lost the plot completely,BUT good topographically
                        Psychic Investigation.....biggest waste of time
                        And another cheer for Autumn of Terror...first book I read on the subject around 1970.....
                        Steve

Comment

That garbled load of claptrap by Cornwell

Comment

I voted for that one too earlier Belinda.
                            I didn't even keep the book after stopping before half way through.

Comment

Herfort, of course.
                              Cornwell's garbage seems a masterpiece once you have read Herfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                                Psychic Investigation.....biggest waste of time
                                Gosh, I forgot that one. VERY DODGY!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X