Clear All

• "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth

Click image for larger version

Name:	Promo June 2017 Forums.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	671395

RIPPERLAND
    Despite the passage of nearly 130 years since Jack the Ripper roamed the streets of Whitechapel and Spitalfields seeking out and murdering his victims, people are still drawn to the area, heading out on walking tours that promise the ultimate “Ripper” experience. But how much is left of the London that Jack and his unfortunate victims would have known? Is there an expectation in the minds of visitors for a preserved Victorian network of streets, complete with gas lamps and dark alleyways; a theme park style “Ripperland”?

Using old images of the sites associated with the Ripper murders, and superimposing them into their modern day equivalent scenes, photographer and graphic designer Andrew Firth has created a unique visual survey of what now remains of those atmospheric Victorian streets and buildings.

The book contains over forty photomontages and over 130 colour and monochrome photographs of modern day “Ripperland” at its most atmospheric. The book also features a foreword written by Ripper tour guide and author John Bennett.

130 Landscape pages. Hardback.

A strictly limited numbered and signed edition can be purchased for £30 +P&P from the Mango Books website. These copies will be available in time for the August East End Conference, with standard, unsigned edition at £25 available after that event.

Pre-orders are now being taken at http://www.mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=24

All the best
    Andrew

I'm excited about this! I just ordered a copy.

Comment

Name:	Brushfield Street London Montage Promo Forums.jpg
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	667017

"Ripperland" by Andrew Firth contains over forty "then and now" photomontages of the area where Jack the Ripper committed his brutal murderous spree in 1888.

This is just one of them, showing Brushfield Street and the Spitalfields Market seen from the steps of Christ Church.

Strictly limited signed and numbered copies of the book are available for pre-order now, at http://www.mangobooks.co.uk/book.php?b=24 and are selling fast!

Photomontage © 2017 Andrew Firth

Comment

Looks fabulous, Andrew!

Cheers

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Lovely, and very creative.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to this one. Not something that you can say for all ripper books I'm afraid.

Regards
            Herlock
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Just a quick update:

The special limited edition copies of "Ripperland" have now sold out! A very big thank you to everyone who bought a copy.

The standard edition will be available from August; watch this space for further announcements!

All the best
              Andrew

Comment

Well​, I'm glad to hear that! I couldn't afford the limited edition, but I do want a copy of my own, so this should help out. Thank you and congratulations on the book's success so far.
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Name:	1 week promo forums.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	667042

The former pawnbrokers on Fournier Street, frequented by victim Catherine Eddowes the day before her murder.

This is just one of over 130 images of Jack the Ripper's London featured in "Ripperland" by Andrew Firth. The standard edition of the book will be available to purchase from www.mangobooks.co.uk in just under two weeks time.

Watch this space for further details!

All the very best
                  Andrew

Comment

Standard edition copies of "Ripperland" are now available!

After the successful launch of "Ripperland" at the 2017 East End Conference last weekend, we have just seven standard copies of the book left. These are now available to purchase via www.mangobooks.co.uk More copies will be with us soon, but if you want one before everyone else, then order yours today!

Here's a little promotional video for "Ripperland". Enjoy!

All the best
                    Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

I received my limited edition copy of 'Ripperland' today. Money absolutely well spent! Your photography is superb. Really atmospheric. I heartily recommend this book to anyone interested in the case (or anyone who just likes great photography.)

If you ever decide to do another one my name will be on the list.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I'm convinced. Just purchased my copy, perhaps to give as a gift, perhaps to keep...
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

Herlock, Pat,

Thanks both! I'm really very touched at how many people who have bought the book have gone on to say how much they like it. It makes the last (albeit very enjoyable) 20 months of work feel very much worthwhile.

All the very best
                          Andrew

Comment

Just a quick update regarding the book. The first print run of "Ripperland" has now sold out!

Mango HQ hope to have a brand new print run available to purchase very soon.

More updates as we have them.

All the best
                            Andrew
                            Last edited by Andrew Firth; 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Andrew,

I just wondered if you are 'done' with Whitechapel now or is there more in the pipeline. After all there are many more 'peripheral' sites. Maybe even connected sites that haven't been photographed yet?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X