Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JACK THE RIPPER : A NEW THEORY (William Stewart, 1938)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JACK THE RIPPER : A NEW THEORY (William Stewart, 1938)

Surprisingly, there wasn't a thread for one of the most famous of all Ripper books (and certainly the most desirable).

I've started this thread because something has got me interested. Andy Aliffe is currently selling his copy of this book on eBay and, as part of his listing, he claims it is one of only twenty copies known to exist.

I could ask Andy myself, but I'm curious and want to throw it open.

Firstly, does anyone know where this figure comes from (the number, not Andy!)

Secondly, I know a good ten people myself - including me - who have a copy of this. I'm sure there must be more than this. A copy comes up on eBay on average once or twice a year.

I'd like to make a tally of how many people have one. If you want to keep it hush-hush, feel free to PM me. I suspect we will be over twenty copies on this site alone.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Hi Philip,

Is there a record of how many were originally printed?

I remember talking of it on an old crashed thread being about the only major thing that came out to mark the half century "celebration". The other releases were just some newspaper articles, I believe.

The Black Dahlia Murder was a far bigger deal when it turned 50. I wonder what that one will be like in 2047.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Philip

Without giving it too much thought at this time of the morning I know the owners of 8 copies. I'll PM you the names and you can compile a list.

Coral

Comment

I can't find any copy on eBay, where is it?

Comment

Is it me? Am I a loon?

This book simply doesnt grab me, so Mr Hutchinson, or anyone.....

....sell it to me, tell me why it is so sort after.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

At £650 it will remain "Much sought after", at least for me!
            Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
              Is it me? Am I a loon?

This book simply doesnt grab me, so Mr Hutchinson, or anyone.....

....sell it to me, tell me why it is so sort after.

Monty
              Hi Monty,

I would say the photos alone makes the book invaluable - just look at that one from Ripper's Corner.

The theory in itself, though, is totally ridiculous, but then again his book wouldn't be alone in that. Stewart stood out by producing his own pictures of the murders sites, which were new for its day and still today holds a special value of interest. That is what makes it a classic; I don't have it but I am envious of those who do for that reason.

All the best
              Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson; 07-09-2008, 10:02 AM.
              The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Maybe he means it's one of 20 known first editions, rather than copies.
                Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Hi philip

Andy Aliffe is one of the most honest and reliable people i know.

He regularly sells on ebay and I very much doubt if he would wont bad feedback.

I don't know the specifics on this book.

Why don't you ask him yourself? i could ask him permission and PM his number if you wanted?

Good luck with the bid

Yours Jeff

Comment

Jeff- there is no need. I obviously know Andy well and have his address, e-mail and number, home and mobile. This was a request to find out how many copies are out there more than trying to unravel why Andy should state there were only 20 known ones.

Steje73 - Erm... there WAS only one edition!

Glenn - Stewart took other photos as well which may one day turn up. There is on in particular he took of the windows at Hanbury Street where he claims that Annie Chapman's ghost was looking back at him. I've had a friend check the archives at The Society of Paranormal Research (where he sent it for analysis) but there was no luck.

Monty - Yoda says 'Bike on your'.

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Phil,

Hmmm, a compelling arguement put for, you do.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post

Stewart took other photos as well which may one day turn up. There is on in particular he took of the windows at Hanbury Street where he claims that Annie Chapman's ghost was looking back at him. I've had a friend check the archives at The Society of Paranormal Research (where he sent it for analysis) but there was no luck.
                        PHILIP
                        Now I'm interested
                        Regards Mike

Comment

Anyone who wants to buy the book should be warned now : according to the TLS, there are some fairly gruesome split infinitives.
                          Attached Files

Comment

No second run of prints? I suppose the subject mustn't have been as popular at that time.
                            Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

I think you will find that it was published just before the 2nd World War.

Folks had other things on their mind apart from the fact that there was probably a paper shortage.

Andy Aliffe has done a short biog of William Stewart under dissertations - well worth reading : Pictures, Paint & Prosceniums

Sorry you will have to search for it. I tried to do a link but it didnt work.

Coral

Comment

Working...
                              X