Clear All

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    totally agree
    Thanks Abby.

Comment

Hi Paul
      Good to see you posting again!

It was the Openshaw letter that she claims has Sickerts DNA on it correct?
      Hi Abby
      No. The letters have nothing to do with DNA They are letters,some written under Sickert's own name and two purporting to be from Jack the Ripper, that paper expert Peter Bower has identified as coming from the same very small batch of paper.

Cheers
      Paul

Comment

I see from Patricia Cornwell's new book that she now thinks she may be haunted by the ghost of Walter Sickert. During her investigation she has sensed “an entity, a terrifically negative energy that when invoked causes strange aberrations of physics”. It apparently manifests itself in malfunctioning computers, slamming doors, mysterious footsteps and all sorts of strange phenomena. On one occasion, she claims, a giant JR appeared in the sand outside her beachfront house.

To put it very politely, this does not inspire me with much confidence in Cornwell's judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
          Hi Abby
          No. The letters have nothing to do with DNA They are letters,some written under Sickert's own name and two purporting to be from Jack the Ripper, that paper expert Peter Bower has identified as coming from the same very small batch of paper.

Cheers
          Paul
          thank you sir

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
            I would focus on this basic fact: all of the so-called Whitechapel Murders took place within a remarkably small area-wasn't it around one square mile? And this area was, in itself, a complete labyrinth: http://www.casebook.org/press_report...l?printer=true. In other words, a non local would surely keep getting hopelessly lost.

Therefore, I don't think you need to be an eminent geographical profiler to conclude that the odds of the killer being a local are overwhelming; and that, of course, was John Douglas' conclusion.

Now, as far as I'm aware Sickert had no known connection to Whitechapel, and might even have been in France at the relevant time. Hence, on geographical grounds alone I would say that he was highly unlikely to have been the killer.

That said, I believe he had rooms in Mornington Crescent, where part of the Tottenham Torso was discovered!
            A very valid point. It could be argued, however, that the majority of murder locations were off or close to main streets which an outsider could have found without getting lost and where he could have met the victims, being taken by them to the place where they were murdered. No great knowledge of the area would therefore have been needed. As for Sickert being in France when the murders were committed, that now seems to be open to question. He did indeed take lodgings in Mornington Crescent and painted a picture ofhis bedroom there, calling it "Jack the Ripper's" bedroom. He was allegedly told that a previous occupant of the rooms was Jack the Ripper, which presumably explains the title.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewL View Post
              I see from Patricia Cornwell's new book that she now thinks she may be haunted by the ghost of Walter Sickert. During her investigation she has sensed “an entity, a terrifically negative energy that when invoked causes strange aberrations of physics”. It apparently manifests itself in malfunctioning computers, slamming doors, mysterious footsteps and all sorts of strange phenomena. On one occasion, she claims, a giant JR appeared in the sand outside her beachfront house.

To put it very politely, this does not inspire me with much confidence in Cornwell's judgment.
              Undeniably nice to have a beachfront house though.

Comment

thank you sir
                I'm happy to oblige :-)

Comment

A very valid point. It could be argued, however, that the majority of murder locations were off or close to main streets which an outsider could have found without getting lost and where he could have met the victims, being taken by them to the place where they were murdered. No great knowledge of the area would therefore have been needed. As for Sickert being in France when the murders were committed, that now seems to be open to question. He did indeed take lodgings in Mornington Crescent and painted a picture ofhis bedroom there, calling it "Jack the Ripper's" bedroom. He was allegedly told that a previous occupant of the rooms was Jack the Ripper, which presumably explains the title.
                  Thanks for your informative reply, Paul, much appreciated. Another thing that strikes me is that the killer kept focussing on this very small geographical area even when it made little sense to do so, i.e. on account of the greatly increased police presence and a local population that would, no doubt, be increasingly on their guard. That strongly suggests to me that the perpetrator was drawn to the area by means of a local connection, i.e. he lived, or at least worked, there and it's where he felt safe and comfortable, otherwise why not expand his range?
                  Last edited by John G; 03-03-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                    All she "established" is that someone with the same mtDNA profile as Sickert wrote one of the Ripper letters. Which sounds good, but then you realise there are hundreds if not thousands of potential matches. And that's assuming the DNA testing was accurate in the first place.
                    No she has gone a bit further than that with the paper match.

Personally, if writing letters were the crime she was investigating, I'd say she had a pretty solid case for old Wally to answer.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks for your informative reply, Paul, much appreciated. Another thing that strikes me is that the killer kept focussing on this very small geographical area even when it made little sense to do so, i.e. on account of the greatly increased police presence and a local population that would, no doubt, be increasingly on their guard. That strongly suggests to me that the perpetrator was drawn to the area by means of a local connection, i.e. he lived, or at least worked, there and it's where he felt safe and comfortable, otherwise why not expand his range?
                      Another good and fair observation. It's probable that the murderer lived in the area that it was his safety zone, unless he was attracted to the area for some reason, such as its squalor, or the night activity of the fruit and veg market, the proximity to the docks, or something like that. I don't suppose we'll ever know why he killed there. Or, indeed, where he killed - it could be argued that Nichols and Stride were not killed by the same person, and maybe not Eddowes either. But let's not go down that road. Anyway, I had a long journey today and bed beckons.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewL View Post

She obviously has some hang ups to think JtR is haunting her. I was disappointing when heard that in whatever interview she was doing. She does build a decent case against Sickert though, especially when compared to other "top" suspects.

-Dan

Comment

Just got the ebook version today, so will read it next few days and post back any comments. Intial observations, the added effects are interesting if a little distracting, but they can of course be turned off.

I approach this from a postioin of not saying he is a non starter by the way, and his apparent preoccupation with the murders is interesting.

Serious points when Ii have read the book.

And good to see you back Paul.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                            Just got the ebook version today, so will read it next few days and post back any comments. Intial observations, the added effects are interesting if a little distracting, but they can of course be turned off.

I approach this from a postioin of not saying he is a non starter by the way, and his apparent preoccupation with the murders is interesting.

Serious points when Ii have read the book.

And good to see you back Paul.

Steve
                            Thanks, Steve.

Comment

Hi JOHN
                              Another good point and I agree. On a similar note-wasn't sickert a man of some means? Surely a post mortem mutlilator would prefer to do his thing in private no? Wouldn't he have his own place?

Comment

Undeniably nice to have a beachfront house though.
                                LOL! And with a very (in)famous neighbor no less!

Comment

Working...
                                X