Patricia Cornwell - Walter Sickert - BOOK 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Skinner asks:

Perhaps you could clarify this. I think there are two letters being queried?

There is a four page letter with envelope from Ellen Sickert from to her friend in Croydon (Surrey) dated September 6th 1888 with two references to Walter being with his family in St Valery-en-Caux, from where the letter is written.

There is also the Jacques Emile Blanche letter to his father,Dr Blanche, (the original of which is in the Biblioththeque De L'Institut De France) which refers to having had lunch with Sickert in Veules (near St Valery-en-Caux). From memory the letter is undated but somebody has pencilled on it 18th September 1888. I had the letter colour photographed but I don't think I have a copy as it went to Patricia, along with all my notes of my visit to the archive in October 2007.

KS

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
      Stories and made up senarios dont interest me , only proof that Walter Sickert was in France while the murders were committed . What Cornwell did or didnt do is also irrelevant .

''1. A date specifically that shows ''6th Sept 1888'' on the letter his mother wrote claiming Walter, herself and Bernard were in France together by the pool painting.[/I]''

Wont sombody show me the full date on this letter.

To the best of my knowledge, Mrs Sickert was not doing any of the swimming or painting, and there wasn't a pool, but a sea.

I thought you might share with us your copy of the letter.

Has it occurred to you that the letter may have survived in an envelope with the date stamped on it?

There must be some reason that the experts have dated it to 1888.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        Keith Skinner asks:

There is a four page letter with envelope from Ellen Sickert from to her friend in Croydon (Surrey) dated September 6th 1888 with two references to Walter being with his family in St Valery-en-Caux, from where the letter is written.

There is also the Jacques Emile Blanche letter to his father,Dr Blanche, (the original of which is in the Biblioththeque De L'Institut De France) which refers to having had lunch with Sickert in Veules (near St Valery-en-Caux). From memory the letter is undated but somebody has pencilled on it 18th September 1888. I had the letter colour photographed but I don't think I have a copy as it went to Patricia, along with all my notes of my visit to the archive in October 2007.

KS

JM

Ahah!

I didn't see the above post when I sent my reply to Fishy1118 at 6.11 p.m.

Are you saying the envelope has the date 1888 stamped on it?

Comment

• Why does Cornwell attach so much importance to the paper Sickert used? Short of him manufacturing his own paper, he must have bought the stuff. If he bought it, other people could have.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Ahah!

I didn't see the above post when I sent my reply to Fishy1118 at 6.11 p.m.

Are you saying the envelope has the date 1888 stamped on it?
            Keith responds:

Eleanor Sickert's handwritten letter is from Maison Throude, Rue des Bains, St Valery-en-Caux, Seine-Inferieure and the date of Sept 6th 1888 is written by her at the beginning of the letter. On the reverse of the envelope is stamped Croydon - Sp9 88 - E. If it's of any use I can post my amateurish transcript of the letter from the microfilmed copy at the Tate Archive? It was the reason I traced the original collection and bought them for Patricia Cornwell because the microfilm was such a nightmare to decipher and I could not work out what related to what! I can't post the original letter and envelope without permission from Patricia.

KS

JM

Comment

Keith responds:

Eleanor Sickert's handwritten letter is from Maison Throude, Rue des Bains, St Valery-en-Caux, Seine-Inferieure and the date of Sept 6th 1888 is written by her at the beginning of the letter. On the reverse of the envelope is stamped Croydon - Sp9 88 - E. If it's of any use I can post my amateurish transcript of the letter from the microfilmed copy at the Tate Archive? It was the reason I traced the original collection and bought them for Patricia Cornwell because the microfilm was such a nightmare to decipher and I could not work out what related to what! I can't post the original letter and envelope without permission from Patricia.

KS

JM

I traced the original collection and bought them for Patricia Cornwell

You're not saying that Patricia Cornwell owns the original letter?

What I would like to know is why FISHYW118 wrote that he has a copy of the same letter and there is no year on it, whereas you say you have a copy of that letter and it does have a year on it.

Comment

• Keith responds-

Yes - Patricia Cornwell now owns the original letter. I have handled the original and had it and the envelope professionally photographed in colour and have a copy which I cannot reproduce without Patricia's permission.

I can't answer why FISHYW118 wrote what he did.

KS

JM

Comment

Keith responds-

Yes - Patricia Cornwell now owns the original letter. I have handled the original and had it and the envelope professionally photographed in colour and have a copy which I cannot reproduce without Patricia's permission.

KS

JM

I have a copy which I cannot reproduce without Patricia's permission.

I imagine Sickert can't turn in his grave without Cornwell's permission, either.

Neither can he - evidently.

Comment

Keith Skinner asks:

KS

JM
                    Sept 6th is all I have have seen on that letter, if 1888 is on it then ive not seen it, but would be happy to if someone can post it here. Or send a link to it.
                    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

I traced the original collection and bought them for Patricia Cornwell

You're not saying that Patricia Cornwell owns the original letter?

What I would like to know is why FISHYW118 wrote that he has a copy of the same letter and there is no year on it, whereas you say you have a copy of that letter and it does have a year on it.
                      I didnt say i had '' a copy'' only that i saw the letter with only Sept 6th that i saw that was on it , not the year ''1888''
                      'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, Mrs Sickert was not doing any of the swimming or painting, and there wasn't a pool, but a sea.

I thought you might share with us your copy of the letter.

Has it occurred to you that the letter may have survived in an envelope with the date stamped on it?

There must be some reason that the experts have dated it to 1888.
                        Exactly, so why is it so elusive if all the experts have seen it and dated it ''1888'' it should be fairly easy to find .
                        Last edited by FISHY1118; 11-05-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Exactly, so why is it so elusive if all the experts have seen it and dated it ''1888'' it should be fairly easy to find .

My understanding, from Jmenges' comments, is that the date 1888 is on the same letter.

I don't know why you didn't see it.

I thought you would be satisfied with his 'adjudication'.

Comment

My understanding, from Jmenges' comments, is that the date 1888 is on the same letter.

I don't know why you didn't see it.

I thought you would be satisfied with his 'adjudication'.
                            With respect to jmenges i dont see his adjudication as proof of anything .

Comment

With respect to jmenges i dont see his adjudication as proof of anything .

It seems to prove that we are all in Patricia Cornwell's hands.

I would like to see the original just as you would - or at least a copy of it - but do not see any reason to doubt that the date included the year.

Obviously, she could reproduce the letter herself, but I think she is unlikely to do so for reasons that are obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post
                                Why does Cornwell attach so much importance to the paper Sickert used? Short of him manufacturing his own paper, he must have bought the stuff. If he bought it, other people could have.
                                Her paper expert Bowers claimed it wasn't just paper from the same manufacturer, but paper from the same run--ie., the same individual roll of paper was used in two or more Ripper letters and in some of the Sickert correspondence. Make of it what you will.

Comment

Working...
                                X