Swanson: The Life and Times of a Victorian Detective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H Barnflat,

Thanks for raising this. The book *will* be available via Waterstones/Gardners, Amazon etc, and orderable from libraries, but the reason it isn’t at the time of writing is because I’ve yet to receive stock.

The printer underestimated how long it would take to produce the book - 750 pages - so was only able to provide a small supply in time for my launch talk last weekend.

I’m expecting the remainder of the initial print run to arrive any day, so in addition to fulfilling pre-orders I’ll also put both hardback and paperback versions online, added to the kindle version already on Amazon.

So Waterstones will fulfil your order shortly (via Gardner’s, the distributor). But if you cancel that and order through MangoBooks.co.uk I’ll send you a copy signed by myself, Paul Begg and Nevill Swanson!

Thanks again for your interest in Swanson.

best wishes
    Adam

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
    Hi folks, has anyone actually received their copy of this book via a bookselller?

I placed my order with Watersones on the 31st January this year.
    Waterstones are actually pretty good at supplying any orders I place, normally supplying them within 2/3 days.

I am flagging this up because I have just received a notification from my local library authority saying that they were unable to supply the book (I placed a request for it)
    because the book was "not available with supplier".

My concern is that the book will probably not have a huge print run, and as time goes on, it may actually become unavailable.
    If that was a distinct possibility, I would consider cancelling my order with Waterstones and ordering the book direct from Adam Wood.

As I write this I note that Amazon is only showing the Kindle version available for sale, there is no mention of a hardback edition being available from Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post
      H Barnflat,

Thanks for raising this. The book *will* be available via Waterstones/Gardners, Amazon etc, and orderable from libraries, but the reason it isn’t at the time of writing is because I’ve yet to receive stock.

The printer underestimated how long it would take to produce the book - 750 pages - so was only able to provide a small supply in time for my launch talk last weekend.

I’m expecting the remainder of the initial print run to arrive any day, so in addition to fulfilling pre-orders I’ll also put both hardback and paperback versions online, added to the kindle version already on Amazon.

So Waterstones will fulfil your order shortly (via Gardner’s, the distributor). But if you cancel that and order through MangoBooks.co.uk I’ll send you a copy signed by myself, Paul Begg and Nevill Swanson!

Thanks again for your interest in Swanson.

best wishes
      Adam

Thanks Adam,
      I appreciate your prompt response.
      My main concern was that some people might have trouble getting the book due to gremlins in the supply system.

I also confess that I am really looking forward to reading the book.
      You've lived with it a long time, I suppose that finishing it left you with a degree of"sweet sorrow".

Comment

Miss Twinngs made a have at Matthews sexual orientation during a debate about the use of Police Matrons.

I forget the year.

Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I have just collected my copy of "Swanson: The Life and Times of a Victorian Detective".

My first impressions are that it is beautifully produced.
          The quality of the paper is top notch, and the photographic reproductions are of an exceptionally high quality.
          It is extensively referenced with a voluminous listing of sources.

I would also pay tribute to the binding; a book with 746 pages needs a quality binding, otherwise the book will simply fall apart.
          The book is excellently bound, so credit to the publisher for insisting on quality binding.

My journey into Mr Swanson's world begins this evening.

Comment

Many thanks for the kind words on the production of the book.

Hope you've enjoyed what you've managed to read so far!

Best wishes
            Adam

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
            I have just collected my copy of "Swanson: The Life and Times of a Victorian Detective".

My first impressions are that it is beautifully produced.
            The quality of the paper is top notch, and the photographic reproductions are of an exceptionally high quality.
            It is extensively referenced with a voluminous listing of sources.

I would also pay tribute to the binding; a book with 746 pages needs a quality binding, otherwise the book will simply fall apart.
            The book is excellently bound, so credit to the publisher for insisting on quality binding.

My journey into Mr Swanson's world begins this evening.

Comment

Mine's just arrived. I've got to finish John Keefe's, "Carroty Nell" first, but I'm very eager!

Sadly, the packaging wasn't great and its got a hefty whack on the back cover:-(
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

I was sorry to read on JtR Forums that Nevill Swanson, the great grandson of Chief Inspector Donald S. Swanson has passed away. I know that Adam and Mr Swanson has become good friends. https://<a href="https://www.jtrforu...hp?t=34111</a>

Sorry to hear the sad news, Adam.

Rest in Peace, Mr Swanson, and thank you so much for helping Adam with his book on your famous great grandfather, Chief Inspector Donald S. Swanson of Scotland Yard!

Chief Inspector Donald Sutherland Swanson (1848-1924)
                Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 07-13-2020, 12:57 AM.
                Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Nevill Swanson worked very hard to keep the marginalia flag flying.

In Crime Inc., a 2008 Australian TV documentary, Donald Swanson’s great-grandson, Nevill Swanson, showed a copy of TLSOMOL to the surrounding reporters and cameramen—

“It’s by Sir Robert Anderson,” he informed them, “who was my great-grandfather’s boss at Scotland Yard, and this is one of his many memoirs, called ‘The Lighter Side of My Official Life,’ and he presented a copy to my great-grandfather, as they had worked closely together for many years . . .”

It was a lie.

Sir Robert Anderson had not presented a copy of the book to Donald Swanson. It had been a gift from someone signing himself "Fred."
                  Last edited by Simon Wood; 07-13-2020, 02:32 AM.
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Nevill Swanson worked very hard to keep the marginalia flag flying.

In Crime Inc., a 2008 Australian TV documentary, Donald Swanson’s great-grandson, Nevill Swanson, showed a copy of TLSOMOL to the surrounding reporters and cameramen—

“It’s by Sir Robert Anderson,” he informed them, “who was my great-grandfather’s boss at Scotland Yard, and this is one of his many memoirs, called ‘The Lighter Side of My Official Life,’ and he presented a copy to my great-grandfather, as they had worked closely together for many years . . .”

It was a lie.

Sir Robert Anderson had not presented a copy of the book to Donald Swanson. It had been a gift from someone signing himself "Fred."

I think there's a time and a place for retrospective discussions on a persons life, and I don't believe now, so soon after someones death, is the correct time to do it. It's irrelevant what your opinion is on the marginalia, there are people on this forum who knew Nevill personally and I would hope that all members would be respectful enough to keep any negative opinions to themselves rather than choosing to voice them now on a forum.

Comment

My condolences to the Swanson family and Adam Wood.
                      Very sad to learn of the death of Nevill

Comment

Originally posted by New Ford Shunt View Post

I think there's a time and a place for retrospective discussions on a persons life, and I don't believe now, so soon after someones death, is the correct time to do it. It's irrelevant what your opinion is on the marginalia, there are people on this forum who knew Nevill personally and I would hope that all members would be respectful enough to keep any negative opinions to themselves rather than choosing to voice them now on a forum.
                        Well said.

Comment

Working...
                        X