Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whitechapel's Sherlock Holmes by Dick KIRBY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel's Sherlock Holmes by Dick KIRBY.

Ladies/Gents,

Am currently reading this book and although it is an enjoyable read. I have noticed s few inconsistencies that I would like to share and get your feedback on. Perhaps I'm being to picky?

The first one, is the coverage of the murder of Francis COLES, page 42 he states that PC THOMPSON was on his first unaccompanied night patrol when he a male dashes out of a side street and on seeing the officer runs off, THOMPSON the comes across the body of COLES. Now it's well documented that THOMPSON heard foot steps walking away from him, but where does this male dashing from a side street, seeing the officer and then running off come from?

Secondly, Page 45 also states that the common sergeant imposed a sentence of 5 years penal servitude. What's the common sergeant not heard of one of them before and since when did the police impose sentences?

Thirdly, page 3 he makes mention of officers with previous service in the army wearing "impressive medal ribbons", in 1888 officers didn't wear medal ribbons on their tunics, this practice didn't come in until much much later. Picky I know but if little facts like this are incorrect coupled with point one, what other facts are incorrect......

Although as I've stated it is a good read, I sometimes find that the way it's written makes it difficult to fully understand who said and did what, that well be me and is not a criticism.

Hi SC

Comment

Well I never!!!!!!! Okay I'll withdraw common sergeant comment as it now seems invalid But I stand by my other points .

Comment

Hi SC

Just to clarify, were the officers with previous army service wearing the ribbons on their tunics, or were they ex-army men who wore the ribbons on plain clothes?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          Hi SC

Just to clarify, were the officers with previous army service wearing the ribbons on their tunics, or were they ex-army men who wore the ribbons on plain clothes?

The wearing of medal ribbons on police uniforms, didn't come into usage until much later, certainly post 1910. The medals themselves would have only been worn on specific occasions and certainly not whilst out on patrol.

Comment

Ah, I get you. You're talking about police officers who had served in the army.

Comment

Working...
            X