Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick Porter Wensley

Has anyone read either of these books?

Whitechapel's Sherlock Holmes & Forty Years of Scotland Yard.

If you had to recommend one, which would it be and why?

I'd be particularly interested to know how much detail he goes into with regards to the Francis COLES murder and that of Ernest THOMPSON, in his book Forty Years in Scotland Yard and whether these murders are covered in Whitechapel's Sherlock HOLMES in the same detail if at all?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
      Has anyone read either of these books?

Whitechapel's Sherlock Holmes & Forty Years of Scotland Yard.

If you had to recommend one, which would it be and why?
      I have Forty Years of Scotland Yard, and it is a clear read. However, what Wensley says on some of his big cases (Stinie Morrison, Edith Thompson and Frederick Byswater) is not the completely correct story. His methods there may have been most effective, but they are questionable at best, and he comes close to entrapment with Mrs. Thompson. His excuse regarding the latter is "What about the victim?" Yes, Percy shouldn't be forgotten. Like James Maybrick, Percy Thompson was suspected of mistreating his wife - that Wensley does not mention when "remembering" the victim.

He does touch on the business with Francis Coles' and the Constable who narrowly missed her killer. That is worth noting. So is his account of his capture of Herbert Seaman, who killed a Mr. Levy and his housekeeper in a burglary in 1896, and whom Wensley fought and captured on the roof of Levy's home. Seaman was the third man hanged with Milsom and Fowler (the Muswell Hill burglar murderers) in 1896, and strategically placed between them so there would be no fight on the scaffold.

Jeff

Comment

The entire book ( in serialized format ) is here :

I retrieved it from a Dallas paper from 1931.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

He does touch on the business with Francis Coles' and the Constable who narrowly missed her killer.

Jeff

Jeff if I was to say, that I'm only really interested in these two cases and perhaps his early career as a beat bobby, is there enough material in this book making it worth getting just for that?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
            Jeff if I was to say, that I'm only really interested in these two cases and perhaps his early career as a beat bobby, is there enough material in this book making it worth getting just for that?
            Hi Station Cat,

It merits almost a small chapter, so it is worth getting to read and possibly copy out. Actually, it is one of the few accounts I have on Frances Coles' killing and the fate of the Bobby involved.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Hi Station Cat,

It merits almost a small chapter, so it is worth getting to read and possibly copy out. Actually, it is one of the few accounts I have on Frances Coles' killing and the fate of the Bobby involved.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'll try and track a copy down .

Comment

Working...
              X