Gyles Brandreth New Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyles Brandreth New Book

It’s a bold claim, but I am going to make it. I believe I have solved the mystery of Jack the Ripper. And intriguingly, given last year’s events in the beautiful English cathedral city of Salisbury…
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Oh dear.
    ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Strange. There's a recent date at the top of the page that Simon linked to. April 5th, 2019.
      But from what I can tell it's about the same book that I posted about almost 2 years ago.

These are not clues, Fred.
      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
      We will not.

Comment

Well spotted, Ozzy. You're absolutely right.
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

So this is the same novel and not a ‘factual’ version? He hasn’t solved the case then?

Good, so it’s still Druitt

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

It certainly seems as if he wants to force people to buy his book if they want to know who he suspects. He does not seem to be giving away his suspects name for free. This type of behavior does seem very suspicious, and makes it hard to take his work seriously.

Comment

I bought Case Closed because I’m a fan of all things Doyle/Holmes and it’s an enjoyable read. I’ve never been sure if Brandreth means anything that he says about the case. If he does, I wonder why he doesn’t produce a ‘factual’ book?
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

From what he says, it seems that his suspects are Kosminski and Ostrog.

I seem to remember that Brandreth was very good at the anagrams in his "Countdown" days. I wonder what he makes of the GSG.

Comment

If it's the same book that I read last year by Giles then it was a good fiction book. An enjoyable read and a good twist at the end. But it IS fiction.
                  JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                  JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                  ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    From what he says, it seems that his suspects are Kosminski and Ostrog.
                    () my conclusion is that () murders () were the work of two of the other prime suspects who feature in Melville Macnaghten’s report.
                    He mentioned that Druitt was innocent, which indicated that 'other' means those on the list besides him. Yet, it appears that the grammar indicates they were working off of a report with more than just 2 other 'prime suspects'.

it says:
                    two of the other prime suspects
                    if they were referring to a report where there were only '2 other prime suspects', then this would be the correct grammar:
                    the other two prime suspects
                    If it was actually Kosminski and Ostrog who are accused, then it would be accurate and sensible to use the latter grammar when the post was written. However, they used the former grammar which is more ambiguous and indicates that they were working on some list that was bigger than the 'final 3' posted by Macnaghten. It would appear that they were referring to the earlier 'final 7' list that was developed before the 'final 3' and then not telling us which 2 out of the other 6 were the people they are accusing and expecting us to buy the book to find out.

Comment

Whenever people write a book stating that they think that they have solved a crime, and then refuse to be fully upfront with who they believe was responsible, instead expecting people to buy the book to find out, it makes me suspicious that they are trying to scam people.

Comment

I don't think the idea will fly, because one can hardly believe that a man like Macnaghten would include the names of two people whose names were supposedly so sensitive, connected as they were to a Russian double agent. The theory seems not to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                          If it's the same book that I read last year by Giles then it was a good fiction book. An enjoyable read and a good twist at the end. But it IS fiction.
                          I’ve also read another one of his Oscar Wilde/Conan Doyle detective novels and have one waiting to be read (both picked up in charity shops.) Enjoyable reads. Brandreth tells a lively story. I get the impression that he’d write a good Holmes pastiche if he was so inclined.

I get the impression that he won’t be revealing any actual evidence though. It smacks of a marketing ploy to me.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’ve also read another one of his Oscar Wilde/Conan Doyle detective novels and have one waiting to be read (both picked up in charity shops.) Enjoyable reads. Brandreth tells a lively story. I get the impression that he’d write a good Holmes pastiche if he was so inclined.

I get the impression that he won’t be revealing any actual evidence though. It smacks of a marketing ploy to me.
                            His is not the first novel to invoke a Victorian celebrity to play against Jack the Ripper. Time after Time inventively made use of H G Wells for such a romp.

Comment

Brandreth is creepy. I think the Illuminati have a spaz brigade and he's head of it.

I read once that Oscar Wilde revealed the identity of the ripper in his book THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. I've read it and saw no such thing although Gray does get a visit one night from a mysterious doctor.
                              Last edited by albie; 04-26-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X