Terror on Broadway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror on Broadway

David Alexander, Terror on Broadway. New York: Random House, 1954.

I noticed this book on Coral's lists of the excellent collection that she is currently offering for sale. I knew I had a copy somewhere, and finally found it. It's in Strachan's bibliography, but I don't recall that it has ever discussed here.

This is a Big Apple take on our favourite subject. Women are vanishing from the Great White Way because of a serial killer named Waldo. He leaves notes, he writes to the press, he uses a knife. There are lots of guys and dolls, and the guys have a bottle of whisky in their desk drawers. It's like Damon Runyon meets Whitechapel.

The central mystery isn't all that hard to figure out, but there is a clever little twist at the end. The novel has a nice tone and it captures the era very well. There is some discussion concerning the psychology of serial killers that rings true, but I don't know enough about that field to comment.

Anyway, as I say, if you like JtR-related fiction, you may have overlooked this book and is well worth reading.
Working...
X