No announcement yet.

A Study in Red, The Secret Journal of Jack the ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's an interview with Porter about the book available here.

Comment

Great fictional book. Thoroughly rrcommended.

Coral

Comment

'A Study in Red' now available in London Bookstores

I've just found out that 'A Study in Red' has at last made its first inroads into the UK bookstores. Waterstones, who had until recently been selling the book purely through their online retail store, Waterstones.com, are now showing stock of the book as being available in their Camden High Street (Low stock level) and Gower Street (Medium stock level), stores in London. As I personally had nothing to do with them placing the book in their stores, this is a great piece of news for me, and I'm delighted that even in a small way, the book is now being made available directly to the British book buying public.

To check instore availability the book can be seen at http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6145786 and for those buyuing online, they also offer free delivery.

Regards to all

Brian
        I say again, sleep, fair citizens, while you can, for there will be...a next time! From A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, by Brian L Porter

Comment

A Study in Red - The Movie!

Following a series of negotiations with a Los Angeles Movie Production Company, I'm delighted to announce that a contract has now been signed that will see 'A Study in Red' produced as a motion picture. As I'm still pretty much in shock at the surprise of this latest development I'll simply post the recent Press Release below.

Best regards and a very Happy Christmas to everyone.

Brian

A Study in Red - The Movie!
          Jack the Ripper will walk the streets of London once more in this dark psychological thriller from Thunderball Films, based on the spectacuar novel by Brian L Porter. Thunderball has recently acquired the Motion Picure/TV rights to Porter's novel.

A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRLog (Press Release) – Dec 22, 2008 – Thunderball Films LLC of Los Angeles, California has acquired the motion picture and television rights to the remarkable novel sensation, ‘A Study in Red – The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper’ by award-winning author Brian L Porter. Published by Double Dragon Publishing of Markham, Ontario, this dark psychological thriller tells of the incredible and terrifying events that surround psychiatrist Robert Cavendish when he inherits a decrepit, yellowed journal that appears to have been written by the infamous Whitechapel Murderer, who terrorised the streets of the East End of London in 1888. Filled with dramatic imagery and an underlying sense of foreboding and danger, the novel will certainly lend itself well to the transformation from page to screen.

Executive producer Mario Domina will be in charge of the task of overseeing the books’ metamorphosis from novel to movie and the author is quoted as saying that he is “Absolutely thrilled and delighted to be given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see his work evolve into a piece of cinematic history.”

Further details relating to the production can be obtained from Thunderball Films LLC at http://www.thunderballfilms.com/ or from the books’ website at www.freewebs.com/astudyinred

‘A Study in Red’ is available in paperback and e-book editions from the publisher, www.double-dragon-ebooks.com who will also be releasing the audio book version very soon through audible.com, and also from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Powells etc.

Double Dragon Publishing
          PO Box 54016
          1-5762 Highway 7 East
          Markham Ontario L3P 7Y4
          Canada

Thunderball Films LLC
          137 N. Larchmont Blvd., #623
          Los Angeles, California 90004-3704
          USA
          Last edited by Rescuedog; 12-24-2008, 03:33 PM.
          I say again, sleep, fair citizens, while you can, for there will be...a next time! From A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper, by Brian L Porter

Comment

An Award Nomination for A Study in Red

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Voting has opened in the annual Preditors & Editors Readers Polls and I'm pleased that 'A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper' is a contender in the BEst Thriller category.
            May I please ask all my friends to cast a vote in support of the book by visiting the voting page at http://www.critters.org/predpoll/novelthrill.shtml

Voting is simple. Just check the box next to the book title, enter your name and e-mail address, (they are kept confidential by the organisers and are only required to prevent fraudulent voting), then click on 'Submit data' at the bottom of the page. You will then receive an almost instantaneous confirming email in which you simply click on the confirming link and the vote is cast.

Thanks again to all my friends who have consistently supported my work over the last year and I wish everyone at Casebook a wonderful and happy new year.

Best regards

Brian

Comment

A Study in Red Released in Audio Book Edition.

I'm delighted to announce that my award-winning novel 'A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper' was released today in its latest format. The book can now be obtained as an audio book from Audible.com at http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/pro...cekjdffidflj.0 or in the UK from http://www.audible.co.uk/aduk/site/p...cekjdfikdfig.0
              The audio book is available in various download formats including i-pod, mp3 Pc download(burn to CD) and others.

Of course the paperback version is still available from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...pr_product_top and other good retailers.

Regards to all

Brian

Comment

Good luck Brian, fingers crossed!
                Regards Mike

Comment

A STudy in Red wins Thriller of the Year Award

I'm pleased to be able to confirm that 'A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper' has won The Preditors & Editors Best Thriller Novel of 2008 Award. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who voted for the book in the readers poll. I'm truly grateful to everyone.

Brian

Comment

Finally got around to reading this novel on the weekend. Not bad at all, although as some reviewers have pointed out, it's a little repetitive and could, perhaps, have used some tightening. (I lost track of how many times the protagonist went into the kitchen to make coffee, or settled into his "comfortable leather chair".) That said, there is much to like here. One of our number might be especially interested in it since the story is set near Guildford.

Comment

'Legacy of The Ripper' The Sequel to 'A Study in Red' Released, June 2009

'Legacy of the Ripper' the sequel to 'A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper' has now been released in both paperback and e-book formats by Double Dragon Publishing. The book has a website at http://legacy-of-the-ripper.webs.com/ and can also be seen at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1554046904 (USA) and at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legacy-Rippe...7050626&sr=1-2 (UK)

An idea of the plot?

Jack Thomas Reid, nephew of Robert Cavendish who first appeared in A Study in Red - The Secret Journal of Jack the Ripper languishes in the secure Ravenswood Psychiatric Hospital, sentenced to confinement 'at Her Majesty's Pleasure' for a series of apparent 'Jack the Ripper' copycat killings in the picturesque English coastal resort of Brighton. Jack's defence at his trial, that he is a descendant of Jack the Ripper and that the crimes were conducted by an unknown 'mystery man' and that Jack was drugged and made to appear as the killer was regarded as so preposterous and unbelievable that his sentence was never in doubt. When one of the policemen who conducted the original investigation into the murders begins to doubt the truth of the case against Reid, Sergeant Carl Wright and Ripperologist Alice Nickels begin an investigation into his story. What they find is told through the voice of Doctor Ruth Truman, Jack's psychiatrist at Ravenswood, and through a series of events that take place as far afield as the beautiful island of Malta and in Warsaw, Poland. Slowly but surely and with the help of Wright's boss Inspector Mike Holland, the link between the events that shocked and terrorised Whitechapel over a century ago, and their link with the case of Jack Thomas Reid and the 'Legacy of Jack the Ripper' is revealed.

Regards to all

Brian

Comment

I'm actually ordering A Study In Red from amazon tomorrow. Glad to see the author actually post on here. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
                        Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Comment

So I've started reading and already can't put it down. Funny thing too is I don't even like reading. So it has to be a really good book to capture my attention. Great read so far, in fact, why am I wasting my time posting here, I'm gonna continue reading it.
                          Scarlett (2010) (Completed)

Witness a modernized retelling of London's most gruesome mutilation, the murder of Mary Jane Kelly at the hands of the notorious serial killer, Jack the Ripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw59rvBDUGs - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trM64vWkLQ - Part 2

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTaleProductions View Post
                            So I've started reading and already can't put it down. Funny thing too is I don't even like reading. So it has to be a really good book to capture my attention. Great read so far, in fact, why am I wasting my time posting here, I'm gonna continue reading it.
                            Thanks for your kind words, Mr. Dark Tales! It's always wonderful to hear from someone who is actually enjoying one's work. Hope you enjoyed the book in its entirety.

Brian

Comment

A Study in Red - Screenplay almost completed

I'm pleased to report that the screenplay for the movie version of 'A Study in Red' is almost completed. Writer/director Andrew Jones has done a superb job so far and is keeping faithfully to the story as depicted in the book. This pleases me as so many movie adaptations of novels tend to diversify greatly from the original.

All I can say of Mr. Jone's work is that the screenplay, so far, has had the power to scare me in places, and, as I wrote the book in the first place, that has to be a testament to the quality of his work. I'm hoping it won't be long before the script is finished and the movie company move on to the next stage of production.

Regards to everyone.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Rescuedog View Post

Of course the paperback version is still available from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...pr_product_top and other good retailers.

Regards to all

Brian
                                Not to be confused by the bad ones, who don't carry the books. Sorry, Brian! Had to laugh!

Seriously, this would be pretty intense on the audio book, if the actor is good.
                                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
                                X