Sojourn- Jana Oliver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sojourn- Jana Oliver

Thread for discussion of the novel ( the first of a triology ) by Ms. Jana Oliver, SOJOURN

As you know, I enjoyed Sojourn very much - so how about you tell us about your research and writing methods. Fair's fair, you know

Love
    Bill

Comment

You know, I should a seen that one coming.

I blame Anne Perry and her Victorian mysteries for getting me interested in Late Victorian England. Over the course of 8 or 9 months I read anything I could get my hands on while working on the first of what looked to be my own five-book Victorian mystery series.Though I didn't know it at the time (2002), it laid the groundwork for the Time Rover series.

I still do research and buy nifty old books and periodicals on eBay (like Godey's Lady's Book, 1888, just to get a sense of what was under their noses at the time). The last time I was in England I went through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel to see what that would be like (though it was built in the 20th century). Okay, I'm a research addict, I admit it.

Like you, I really want to make the books as historically accurate as possible, despite my Yank background. (Remember the tuppence boo-boo in Sojourn? I knew better than that!) I wanted the reader to not only enjoy the story, but learn something along the way.

The actual writing process varies for each book. Sojourn nearly wrote itself. First draft, three edits, 8 months. Virtual Evil was a bear. At least five rewrites because it just wasn't working. With lots of help from my editor and Ally R's input, it finally stopped fighting me and took off. The third book (Madman's Dance) is more like Sojourn (thank heavens). I'm putzing through the first edit right now. I suspect there will be two, but not more than that as it's due to the editor April 18th.

Of course, writing in this time period has pretty much ruined me for anything but excellent Ripper fiction (like yours.) I have no patience with people who don't do their research. They can still screw up, but at least take a stab at getting it right! <pardon the pun>

I do want to continue to write in the Victorian Era. I'm at home there. Let's hope my publisher agrees.

Jana
      “Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer; nothing is more difficult than to understand him.” -- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Comment

Jana,

I would love to read this book. I have tried to find it in the local bookstores here in Atlanta, and it's not there. I've searched for it frequently, when I've gone in. Was it never sold in Borders or Barnes & Ignoble? Those are the stores in my area. Or is this an order online book?

I, too, read Anne Perry. I was wondering if you had read any of Connie Willis' fine time-travel books. To Say Nothing of the Dog is excellent and is set---well, partially set---in Victorian England.

Best,

Celesta
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I seem to be following you around this evening, Celesta, but not intentionally, I assure you. Jana is probably busy working on volume 3 of her trilogy, so I'll tell you that Sojourn is available, online, from Barnes & Noble, or Amazon, or from Jana's own website. Well worth acquiring, I'd say, it's an excellent book.

Comment

I think it's me following you, Maurice! The thread title, showing up on the Most Recent Posts, lured me in. I did manage to get a copy of the book, and it was already nicely autographed by the author. I also missed talking to her face to face several months ago by about 10 or 15 minutes, I think it was. I agree absolutely! It's a fine book! Once again, tonight, thank you.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
            X