Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the 503rd time...some person thinks THEY'VE solved the case!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marilyn View Post
    It's a fascinating story, but the case will close with the book release.
    People have been making claims of a final solution for half-a-century or more. Hopefully, your suspect will be more credible than Gull, Sickert, Carroll, Maybrick, or Lechmere.
    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

This is like an evening with my father, and I wanted to have some fun academic evenings with interested parties that wanted to assist me with the 'real' digging. The research beyond the research that's a little harder to find. I have time. Do you?
      Hi Marylin and welcome.

I've no doubt the academic discourse you seek is readily available. You will, however, have to understand and hopefully forgive our somewhat jaded reaction to your claim to have the solution to true crimes most enduring mystery. Every year someone will pop up professing to have the all too obvious answers, engage with the board for a short while and then disappear into the obscurity from whence they came, usually because the collected members failed to be overawed by their insights. So don't be too surprised or down heartened, it can take time to earn the trust and respect of the community.

Good luck with the book.
      Last edited by Al Bundy's Eyes; 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect changed Marylin to Martin.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

People have been making claims of a final solution for half-a-century or more. Hopefully, your suspect will be more credible than Gull, Sickert, Carroll, Maybrick, or Lechmere.
        I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain around the idea that a suspect could be credible if the case for that suspect is partly fictional.

Comment

I have no objection to people using fiction to portray the human psychological elements for making a case against a suspect. Why would i? I did the exact same thing for James Maybrick.

There are elements of personality traits that can only be understood when you dig deeper into who people are and explore how they handle personal relationships. Reflect on their actions and interactions with others. You learn a lot about people this way.

A facts-only book does not get under the skin of who people were. It is just paper records. The story is much more interesting.

As for grandly declaring anything as the final solution, well, that is a fool's errand around here. As much as I believe James Maybrick was JtR, I did state that it should not be treated as a historical fact for now. The majority of people who have read it understand the book's purpose.

I applaud anyone who writes a book of any kind. It's far more challenging than most people who are quick to criticise realise.

Well done on getting it published with Harper Collins. I, for one, will be intrigued to see what is released.
          Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
          JayHartley.com

Comment

If anything, I've found the whole thing a burden. I come from a line of very tough private women who have lived shocking lives riddled with loss. As a result of the ripper{s} my GGGrandfather was murdered, and my GGGrandmother fled to Australia in hiding with her daughter. The effect on the female line has resulted in a series of suicides. When my sister left the same way, I moved toward a degree in psychology. Coinciding with some family research, some brief whisperings from my mother turned into a rabbit warren of facts. Starting with the ripper and my family's circle of friends and involvements, the truth of the killings was surprisingly easy to put together, the letters easy to decrypt, and the story fascinating. As my family is well known in Australia for other reasons, I've had my reservations. My purpose behind writing is solely my interest in psychology and the knowledge that the story will end with me if I don't. Scotland Yard was well aware of the killer. It was just too much of an embarrassment by the time they found the truth. A retired Scotland yard detective moved into my Grandmothers lodging house until the day she left for Aus. Even he ended up in an asylum. James Maybrick had nothing to do with those involved. Night gents.

Comment

Naive Jeff believes he/she /they began his/her/their spree of killings in 1888, yet it was in 1876 that his landlady first became aware of his/her/their heinous deeds. This narrative will unfold as a creative non-fiction endeavour, with a substantial portion of the text underpinned by factual evidence. Though not pivotal to the central plot, peripheral characters will be introduced to enrich...
              Call a poster on this board Naive again, and you will be booted to another more tolerant board who doesn't mind putting up with bullshit in the name of self-promotion. That place is not here.

As a psychologist, I initially contemplated presenting this tale through the lens of a scientific study. However, where lies the excitement in such a systematic approach Jeff?
              As a psychologist you should be aware of the effect that dumping a load of horseshit on people who know more than you and acting condescending has on the audience. Put your training to better use in how you act here.

Although that's cockney for "Queer" Jeff, which I'm sure you all know and I'm not.
              Nobody cares.​

Let all Oz be agreed;
              I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post

Call a poster on this board Naive again, and you will be booted to another more tolerant board who doesn't mind putting up with bullshit in the name of self-promotion. That place is not here.

As a psychologist you should be aware of the effect that dumping a load of horseshit on people who know more than you and acting condescending has on the audience. Put your training to better use in how you act here.

Nobody cares.​
                No you just need to stop leading the pack

Comment

Weird.

JM

Comment

No you just need to stop leading the pack
                    LOL.. bless your heart.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

I thought it was the 502nd. I must have miscounted.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                        I have no objection to people using fiction to portray the human psychological elements for making a case against a suspect. Why would i? I did the exact same thing for James Maybrick.

There are elements of personality traits that can only be understood when you dig deeper into who people are and explore how they handle personal relationships. Reflect on their actions and interactions with others. You learn a lot about people this way.

A facts-only book does not get under the skin of who people were. It is just paper records. The story is much more interesting.
                        Hi erobitha,

I agree with that, but what you're describing isn't what I would call fiction. To me, fiction would involve creating people that didn't really exist and/or occurrences that didn't really happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

That's a very low bar. However I doubt the suspect will be any more credible than for instance Gull.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post

That's a very low bar. However I doubt the suspect will be any more credible than for instance Gull.
                            I'm not so sure John,

For instance , if your talking about Gull in the R.C theory sense most would agree ,

But as a stand alone , acting alone suspect there might just be a case .

The knowledge of his physical health at the time , which has often been used to eliminate him as a suspect is often mis quoted and wrong. If you studied his life ,and in particular his minor stroke at the time which by no means left him bedridden as some would suggest, then he certainly i think he could have been capable of such a deed. Despite his age.

Yes, granted he didn't match any of the witnesses description, but we have no certainty any of the men seen with any victim or described by any witnesses was in fact the ripper!

As for any Anatomical Knowledge, whether used or not used in any of the mutilation, there is little doubt one would argue he lacked the ability to extract any organ should he desired .

Mary Kelly is indeed in my opinion just the sort of kill and organ removal experiment given he had so much more time than the other victims, that a mad man like Gull ( if he indeed was ) would take great pleasure indulging in .

Just my thoughts on the Gull topic ,and sure he may not have been JtT, others i have no doubt can make a case against him , but as far a the worse suspect goes i can think of many more below Sir Williams Gull . ( and some popular ones at that.) Imo.

Cheers.

'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

All we have for Gull is medical knowledge. Nothing else.

As we know, Gull had a stroke in 1887. Then he had several more over the next 2 years. After the 1887 stroke he wasn’t even well enough to resume his medical practice which would have involved sitting behind a desk diagnosing wealthy patients. At the time of the murders he was 71 years old, double the average age of serial killers.

We would really have to work hard to find a less likely ripper than Gull - Prince Eddy, Van Gogh, Conan Doyle etc.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

That's simply not the case , as my post suggests.

There are the facts about Gulls stroke that are easy to obtain . 70 does not means you cant kill

A less likely suspect? Oh idont know lets start with the big "D".

One things for certain, no one can say for sure who jtr was, no more than he can say who he wasn't.
                                'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                                X