Jack the Ripper Hardcover – 2 Oct. 1972 author Dan Farson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
    Is that a Hula Hoop that kids got on the back of the truck ?
    yes i only noticed it last night ,zoom i activated by accident. really excellent quality photos on the website so you can zoom in.
    i was looking at Druit,s school in Elliot street. i, work near there at times and worked in Elliot street.
    i was local window cleaner living in Lewisham. i lived all over London. i got old photos i might try and scan and send them in.
    in New Cross 30 years a go i tried to by drawings of locals in Victorian times from a squatters /alas they burnt them.

Comment

use to play on back of cart in Lavender Hill Battersea. sw 13 . when i was a kid. it was Ernies borrow ..
      the one in the photo of "the horn of plenty" the cart owner is in the bar or is wearing the apron outside with the other fellows waiting to go in.

Comment

thinking of Elliot street school. it is very close to Pagodas house there, there brick built housing and have Japanese themes roofs,
        the locals or some ( kids ) talk of a ghost story , a women going through all these back gardens.
        be it may.
        it was actually a twenty two year old women shot herself in Victorian times with a revolver from inside her husbands desk.
        this is were the ghostly stories originally started,

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post
          Is that a Hula Hoop that kids got on the back of the truck ?
          Not a Hula Hoop which was a fad following the addition of Hawaii to the United States.

No, this likely a nineteenth century game called "hoop and stick", in which a child raced alongside a rolling hoop and tried to keep it upright and going. The hoop looks like it may have been the rim of a wagon wheel?
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Although the name "hula" hoop may be fairly recent,the hoop goes back hundreds,if not thousands of years before the addition of Hawaii to the United States of America.
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

A little before my time.....just.

6th Century AD to circa 1900

An some lil nippers for dahn-under.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Kangaroo Point is a beautiful part of Brisbane.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                  Kangaroo Point is a beautiful part of Brisbane.
                  hi ,
                  i had a look on google maps at the area a while backl
                  to us in Europe thats paradise.

Comment

You would love the Whitsunday islands

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                      You would love the Whitsunday islands
                      Narooma, NSW is rated the second best climate in the world, after the Bahamas.

Cheers, George
                      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                      Out of a misty dream
                      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                      Within a dream.
                      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Used to have an excellent Blues Festival.Friends have played there

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Not a Hula Hoop which was a fad following the addition of Hawaii to the United States.

No, this likely a nineteenth century game called "hoop and stick", in which a child raced alongside a rolling hoop and tried to keep it upright and going. The hoop looks like it may have been the rim of a wagon wheel?
                          Hi Pat,

Hula hoops [as opposed to the old hoop and stick] were all the rage here in the UK in the early 1960s. Most of my young school friends had one and we used to swing them round our waist and hips for as long as possible. My party piece was to swing mine round my neck too!

My late mother-in-law, originally from Deptford, had a quirky sense of humour. When she bought a Hula hoop for her daughter, she asked the young sales girl behind the counter for a bag to carry it home in. Not realising she was having her leg pulled, the poor girl was flustered and said she didn't think they had one large enough.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I was never coordinated enough in my childhood to be very good at fad things like Hula hoops or Frisbees (though I tried tossing the latter enthusiastically), but I do remember them.

The hoop and stick game was depicted in a painting by Brueghel titled "Children's Games", proving it had been around for quite a while by the Victorian/Edwardian era.
                            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                            ---------------
                            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                            ---------------

Comment

Working...
                            X