X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper Hardcover – 2 Oct. 1972 author Dan Farson

hi
    any one read this book ?
    also is it the same Dan Farson which made the television programs " guide to the British "
    Buy Jack the Ripper Book Club Edition by Farson, Daniel (ISBN: 9780718110505) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.

i was relating whether this was relating the story of MJK from a nun who lived at Crispin Street.
    i could not upload picture i wanted but posted these.
    the nunnery , and "the horn of plenty " pub in Crispin Street .
    which has been referred to has the " Britannia"
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a map of where Dorset St. meets Crispin St.
      If you look at Dorset St. you can see on the north side (top side), a pub (P.H.) at each end.
      At the eastern end where it meets Commercial St., that is the Britannia, it is identified as Ringers Buildings.
      At the western end that P.H. is The Horn of Plenty, the photo on the left in your post.

Now, if you look across, opposite The Horn of Plenty, where Crispin St. meets Ravens Row, that is the 'Nunnery', identified as Providence Row Refuge & School. This I 'think'!, is your other photo on the right, though I cannot see it clear enough to be sure.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	horn of plenty crispin street.png
Views:	316
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	789423

Comment

does not want me to upload a decent picture.
          Horn of Plenty public house in Crispin Street - London Picture Archive
          View of The Horn of Plenty, 5 Crispin Street, Spitalfields, a Charrington's Fine Ales public house, from outside the Convent of Mercy looking north-east. It stood on the corner of Crispin Street and Dorset Street (later known as Duval Street). It was demolished in 1928 to make way for additions to Spitalfields Market. This is a vibrant street scene with pedestrians and horse-drawn carts. A large group of children are posing to get their photograph taken, while some boys, one with a hoop, are standing on a cart looking on.

Comment

might be some usefull photos here!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              Here is a map of where Dorset St. meets Crispin St.
              If you look at Dorset St. you can see on the north side (top side), a pub (P.H.) at each end.
              At the eastern end where it meets Commercial St., that is the Britannia, it is identified as Ringers Buildings.
              At the western end that P.H. is The Horn of Plenty, the photo on the left in your post.

Now, if you look across, opposite The Horn of Plenty, where Crispin St. meets Ravens Row, that is the 'Nunnery', identified as Providence Row Refuge & School. This I 'think'!, is your other photo on the right, though I cannot see it clear enough to be sure.

i added link for you wickerman.
              View of The Horn of Plenty, 5 Crispin Street, Spitalfields, a Charrington's Fine Ales public house, from outside the Convent of Mercy looking north-east. It stood on the corner of Crispin Street and Dorset Street (later known as Duval Street). It was demolished in 1928 to make way for additions to Spitalfields Market. This is a vibrant street scene with pedestrians and horse-drawn carts. A large group of children are posing to get their photograph taken, while some boys, one with a hoop, are standing on a cart looking on.

Comment

wickerman i see the "ringers buildings" this i was i thought Mr & Mrs Ringer who run or even owned the Britannia pub.
                were do you get the survey maps.

Comment

Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post
                  hi
                  any one read this book ?
                  also is it the same Dan Farson which made the television programs " guide to the British "
                  Hi Milky,

This is the hardback of the 1973 paperback I quoted you on The Greatest Thread of All. It's well-written and accepts the deep limitations of his theory which is admirable and honourable but sadly does not provide much more than an early platform for Druittists to build on as I recall.

Ike
                  Iconoclast
                  Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

i can see from wickermans maps,
                    when some one writes from standing point at sisters of mercy.( night refuge ) ladies entrance.
                    "across the road the Britannia "
                    they looking at the end of Dorset street.
                    you would see the entrance into there probably as a corner door.

Comment

the photo of Crispin street , on the left by the little girl is the night refuge.
                      children playing in street as no green to. also no cars so safe to, relatively to do so after school.
                      the men must be goin home from work and finished for the day ?

Comment

Originally posted by milchmanuk View Post
                        wickerman i see the "ringers buildings" this i was i thought Mr & Mrs Ringer who run or even owned the Britannia pub.
                        were do you get the survey maps.
                        Yes, the Ringers owned the Britannia.
                        The maps can be found at this link:

Here's another group that may focus in on Whitechapel

The map I used for Dorset St. can be identified as: Vol. XI, sheet 314.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The Horn of Plenty.
                          Last edited by Wickerman; 07-10-2022, 04:52 PM.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

The Horn of Plenty.
                            Great picture, Wick.

It's quite interesting to note the variety of men's head gear on display.

Comment

Is that a Hula Hoop that kids got on the back of the truck ?
                              'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                              X