EBay bargains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBay bargains?

I just had a quick look on eBay and saw some surprising (to me at least) bargains. This one for example.

A hardback copy of The Harlot Killer for £10 (starting bid) I recall paying around £40 for my paperback version around 30 years ago.

And this.

A hardback Leonard Matters for £15 (starting bid) - I don’t know what the going rate is for this but I paid more for mine years ago?

And

A hardback Odell for £7.50. A different cover to mine.

Worth a look
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Good grief, think I'll pass on that one....looks like a very cheesy read....

Comment

I wish that Robert McLaughlin book would make an appearance somewhere.

I keep checking all the usual sites, but it seems it is just too obscure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
        I wish that Robert McLaughlin book would make an appearance somewhere.

I keep checking all the usual sites, but it seems it is just too obscure.

Yeah, I really regret not getting that one at the time. I just don’t know why I didn’t get it. Cue My Way…”regrets, I had a few…..”
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Yeah, I really regret not getting that one at the time. I just don’t know why I didn’t get it. Cue My Way…”regrets, I had a few…..”
          Agreed!

I keep an eye on the second hand book shops and charity shops, but I think it was such a small print run that finding one would be akin to winning the lottery.

It's a book which would be really useful for my project thing.

I may try the library, but I'm likely onto plums even there....

Comment

Agreed!

I keep an eye on the second hand book shops and charity shops, but I think it was such a small print run that finding one would be akin to winning the lottery.

It's a book which would be really useful for my project thing.

I may try the library, but I'm likely onto plums even there....
            Hey Ms D, can I suggest that you ask your library to request it for you via Inter-Library Loan.
            There is a copy of the book available in all the legal deposit libraries (six I think).

The assistant in your local library may not be aware of the Inter-Library Loans procedures, just stick to your guns and ask them to get it for you. There may be a small charge to pay.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Hey Ms D, can I suggest that you ask your library to request it for you via Inter-Library Loan.
              There is a copy of the book available in all the legal deposit libraries (six I think).

The assistant in your local library may not be aware of the Inter-Library Loans procedures, just stick to your guns and ask them to get it for you. There may be a small charge to pay.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
              That's brilliant, Barn!

Thanks so much for the advice.

Much appreciated.

I'll try my wee local library first and mention the Inter-Library Loan procedure if I draw a blank.

If that fails, I'll pop into the Mitchell and try there.

Will let you know how I get on for sure!

Comment

That's brilliant, Barn!

Thanks so much for the advice.

Much appreciated.

I'll try my wee local library first and mention the Inter-Library Loan procedure if I draw a blank.

If that fails, I'll pop into the Mitchell and try there.

Will let you know how I get on for sure!
                Good luck with your search.

I spent years working in the Mitchell Library, and loved it.

I know that they do have some JTR books in the "Social Sciences" department.

Most of the JTR books are kept locked up in a steel case, because so many of them were getting stolen.

Weird eh!

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Good luck with your search.

I spent years working in the Mitchell Library, and loved it.

I know that they do have some JTR books in the "Social Sciences" department.

Most of the JTR books are kept locked up in a steel case, because so many of them were getting stolen.

Weird eh!
                  Really??!!!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised!

I haven't been in the Mitchell for many years, but I did a lot of studying there during my university days (usually ending up in the Avalon pub just across the road!!!).

What a lovely place to have worked.

Many thanks again for the tip.

Will keep you posted!

Comment

I just had a quick look on eBay and saw some surprising (to me at least) bargains. This one for example.

A hardback copy of The Harlot Killer for £10 (starting bid) I recall paying around £40 for my paperback version around 30 years ago.

And this.

A hardback Leonard Matters for £15 (starting bid) - I don’t know what the going rate is for this but I paid more for mine years ago?

And

A hardback Odell for £7.50. A different cover to mine.

Worth a look
                    Just had a look at the Matters book H it looks a little rough has damp staining issues but still cheap at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Christian View Post

Just had a look at the Matters book H it looks a little rough has damp staining issues but still cheap at the moment
                      Yes it does look a bit warn Christian. What is a hardback Harlot Kller going for these days, do you know?

edit: Loretta Lay has one for sale at £40. As I said in my original post I seem to remember paying £40 for a paperback 30 years ago.
                      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 05-31-2022, 06:18 PM.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Yes it does look a bit warn Christian. What is a hardback Harlot Kller going for these days, do you know?

edit: Loretta Lay has one for sale at £40. As I said in my original post I seem to remember paying £40 for a paperback 30 years ago.
                        As you stated the price of books seems to have fallen?? Personally as you know I love them!! So the market is real hard to predict!! £40 seems about right?? The Matters book will always be sought after I think!! Still a few I require!!
                        whats your views on books??
                        I really do cherry pick modern books these days!!

Comment

As you stated the price of books seems to have fallen?? Personally as you know I love them!! So the market is real hard to predict!! £40 seems about right?? The Matters book will always be sought after I think!! Still a few I require!!
                          whats your views on books??
                          I really do cherry pick modern books these days!!
                          I used to buy pretty much every book that came out Christian but not these days. We seem to get re-hash after re-hash interspersed with some barking mad theory or a book with a ‘suspect’ who was nothing more than ‘alive at the time.’ The last three books that I bought were Fish’s book, Jacob The Ripper and Adam Wood’s Swanson. Before that I honestly can’t remember but it was probably Ripperland by Andrew Firth. I think that I’ve got all of the books worth having (around 300 I think) I never managed to get a William Stewart though or an original Woodhall (I have the facsimile) And I only have facsimile’s of MacNaghten and Anderson etc. I was doing a bit of tidying up a couple of weeks ago and looked through some of the stuff I’ve acquired over the years. Loads of pamphlets and ripper-related magazines. It was a bit of a stroll down memory lane.

But as you say Christian, you have to be more selective these days or you’d be buying 2 ripper books a week!
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I used to buy pretty much every book that came out Christian but not these days. We seem to get re-hash after re-hash interspersed with some barking mad theory or a book with a ‘suspect’ who was nothing more than ‘alive at the time.’ The last three books that I bought were Fish’s book, Jacob The Ripper and Adam Wood’s Swanson. Before that I honestly can’t remember but it was probably Ripperland by Andrew Firth. I think that I’ve got all of the books worth having (around 300 I think) I never managed to get a William Stewart though or an original Woodhall (I have the facsimile) And I only have facsimile’s of MacNaghten and Anderson etc. I was doing a bit of tidying up a couple of weeks ago and looked through some of the stuff I’ve acquired over the years. Loads of pamphlets and ripper-related magazines. It was a bit of a stroll down memory lane.

But as you say Christian, you have to be more selective these days or you’d be buying 2 ripper books a week!
                            Yes H you are spot on !! Exactly my views pretty much my last buys were Neil’s/Adams/Robs books maybe few others!! W Stewart book still evades me probably always will lol. Do love all the old classics like you say nostalgic definitely!! Thanks for replying sir!!

Comment

Yes H you are spot on !! Exactly my views pretty much my last buys were Neil’s/Adams/Robs books maybe few others!! W Stewart book still evades me probably always will lol. Do love all the old classics like you say nostalgic definitely!! Thanks for replying sir!!
                              No problem Christian. You just reminded me, I got Rob Clack’s book too.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X