Woodhall For Sale On Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodhall For Sale On Ebay

I just noticed that there’s a 1937 Woodhall on sale on eBay at the moment with a starting bid of £125 with 9 days left in case anyone is looking for one.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Out of interest, Herlock, do you (or does anyone else) know whether or not Woodhall considered Tabram to be a Ripper victim?

I’d also like to know the same about William Stewart, whose book is unobtainable, and on the rare occasions when it is, I don’t plan on spending four figures just to satisfy my curiosity on that point!

Incidentally even the 1990s reprint of Woodhall is fetching premium prices: $95 on amazon.com, $133 and change on alibris. So at £125 that original copy might be a good investment, depending how high the bidding goes. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a reprint of Stewart.

I have the impression that just about every early writer on the Ripper took Tabram for granted--certainly Leonard Matters did--until the McNaghten Memo was dropped like a bombshell into the debate at the end of the 1950s. That derailed previous opinions on the topic for an entire generation. But it would be nice to have my suspicions confirmed that Woodhall, Stewart, and possibly others included Tabram as part of a "Canonical Six."

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
      Out of interest, Herlock, do you (or does anyone else) know whether or not Woodhall considered Tabram to be a Ripper victim?

I’d also like to know the same about William Stewart, whose book is unobtainable, and on the rare occasions when it is, I don’t plan on spending four figures just to satisfy my curiosity on that point!

Incidentally even the 1990s reprint of Woodhall is fetching premium prices: $95 on amazon.com, $133 and change on alibris. So at £125 that original copy might be a good investment, depending how high the bidding goes. I’m surprised there hasn’t been a reprint of Stewart.

I have the impression that just about every early writer on the Ripper took Tabram for granted--certainly Leonard Matters did--until the McNaghten Memo was dropped like a bombshell into the debate at the end of the 1950s. That derailed previous opinions on the topic for an entire generation. But it would be nice to have my suspicions confirmed that Woodhall, Stewart, and possibly others included Tabram as part of a "Canonical Six."
      I just checked my facsimile copy of Woodhall and on the first page he talks of Jack the Ripper's first victim. Martha Tabram. I don't have a William Stewart though but someone on here probably does. Christian probably has for eg.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I kinda thought so. Thanks, Herlock.

Comment

Working...
        X