Up coming Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up coming Documentary

Lucy Wolsey Investigates series 2 is coming to the BBC ( no dates as yet )
    one episode will be concentrating on JTR.I
    Im a fan of her documentaries, so looking forward to her take on it, other episodes will include the Gun Powder plot another interest of mine.

Thanks for sharing this info. In America, I'm still waiting to see the Conan Doyle series from late last year
    " Still it is an error to argue in front of your data. You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to fit your theories."
    Sherlock Holmes
    ​​​​​

Comment

Here’s what I found about it….

Jack The Ripper – Lucy uncovers the truth behind this true crime obsession. A story that goes beyond a single psychotic killer and his tragic victims, to a burgeoning newspaper industry in a desperate battle for readers converging with growing social divide. Lucy reveals how this single case transformed Britain’s understanding of poverty while giving birth to a new kind of sensationalist journalism with ‘Ripperology’, whose misogyny still endures in the press coverage of murders of women today

Comment

As the word misogyny appears in the blurb what’s the betting that Halle Rubenhold makes an appearance? I like Lucy Worsley too but I’m wary of this episode. Sadly everything seems to have an agenda these days.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Is it possible for the ripperological "community" to sue these irresponsible hacks for defamation? Not just for the allegegations of misogyny, but also the apparent accusation of "ripperology" being sensationalist journalism. Of course there have been sensationalist theories, books (even the odd documentary), but most of the sensationalist guff comes from outside the realm of serious research.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            Is it possible for the ripperological "community" to sue these irresponsible hacks for defamation? Not just for the allegegations of misogyny, but also the apparent accusation of "ripperology" being sensationalist journalism. Of course there have been sensationalist theories, books (even the odd documentary), but most of the sensationalist guff comes from outside the realm of serious research.
            It’s a pity that action can’t be taken Gareth as these kind of comments appear to be par for the course these days. Just a throw away comment that doesn’t raise an eyebrow.

​​​​​​….

I don’t do social media but isn’t is possible for someone that does to post a comment on here and see if she responds?

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
            Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 07-29-2024, 05:29 PM.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

^^^

Best wait until the episode has aired, to see exactly what's said. You never know, it might be a balanced critique... at least, a more balanced one than whoever wrote that blurb.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

It's a tricky one, Sam, because while it's nice to think that all the 'decent' ripperologists, who only go in for serious research, outnumber those who could rightly be accused of misogyny and pushing sensationalist theories [cough, cough, Trevor Marriott, cough, cough], some might argue - not me, I hasten to add - that it's up to all the good ripperologists to weed out the bad in their little community, if they don't want the entire field condemned by someone with clout or a loud voice. I don't think that could be achieved in any case, but nor should one ripperologist hold themselves responsible for the sins of another.

There is also the question of whether it's right to want anyone 'cancelled' for exercising their freedom to express a negative opinion of ripperologists in general, when it can justly be applied to some, if not a majority.

Love,

Caz
                X

"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hello Caz

Originally posted by caz View Post

There is also the question of whether it's right to want anyone 'cancelled' for exercising their freedom to express a negative opinion of ripperologists in general, when it can justly be applied to some, if not a majority.
                  They can express any opinion they like as long as it's fair, balanced and factual. That doesn't extend to tarring the entire field and/or its contributors with the same brush.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Agreed, Sam, and that might be the case in a perfect world, where anyone who openly expresses an opinion of a whole community, that is unfair, biased or unsupported by the facts, can expect legal action to be taken against them by that community, but it's not going to happen, is it?

We can all get cross and stamp our feet, or counter those opinions on social media with our own, but is there a final solution that will be more effective than Stephen Knight's, in putting the ripperological world to rights?

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

Agreed, Sam, and that might be the case in a perfect world, where anyone who openly expresses an opinion of a whole community, that is unfair, biased or unsupported by the facts, can expect legal action to be taken against them by that community, but it's not going to happen, is it?
                      I can't see why we shouldn't aspire to that end, and even if we only got partway there it would be a good thing. The least we can do is to call out illogical and/or biased thinking whenever it crops up.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

There is a lot of bad theorizing in the Ripper case, but I really haven't noticed any misogyny even among the bad theorists. The bad theorists are bad in other ways. Maybe in Hallie's mind, everyone that thinks that the victims were prostitutes is a misogynist.

Comment

I can't see why we shouldn't aspire to that end, and even if we only got partway there it would be a good thing. The least we can do is to call out illogical and/or biased thinking whenever it crops up.
                          Indeed, that would be a start. What is the most we could do, though? That was more what I was trying to get at, Sam.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
                            There is a lot of bad theorizing in the Ripper case, but I really haven't noticed any misogyny even among the bad theorists. The bad theorists are bad in other ways. Maybe in Hallie's mind, everyone that thinks that the victims were prostitutes is a misogynist.
                            Rather you than me, Lewis C, in probing the mind of the author of Hallie's comic.

I know, Sam, I know.

Love,

Caz
                            X

Comment

Rather you than me, Lewis C, in probing the mind of the author of Hallie's comic.

I know, Sam, I know.

Love,

Caz
                              X

Comment

Working...
                              X