Ovation doc on JtR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovation doc on JtR

I'm currently watching a documentary entitled 'London's Most Notorious Killer: Jack the Ripper" An interesting, old-fashioned program consisting of narration over a mixture of stills and drawings from the period, and some video of the sites in modern London. Accompanied by a fairly evocative musical score. No live-action actor portrayals that are a trait of more modern documentaries.

I'm not sure of the date of this film. They mentioned 1993 just now, as the date of the finding of the Littlechild evidence. No mention of the "Royal Conspiracy", nor of the shawl and its purported DNA. Charlie Cross is mentioned only as the "porter" who found Polly's body. Maybrick's "diary" is mentioned, as are some "black magic" theories, but there is no mention of any suspect newer than Tumblety (of whom they state, "further investigation could be warranted."
    Overall, very good in the first hour, for a measured retelling of the crimes and describing the sites, including their modern names in cases where locations had their original names changed.

Ovation is advertising its True Crime Sunday line-up of "Murder at My Doorstep" and "Fred Dineage: Murder Casebook".
    Right now I'm watching a "Murder Casebook" episode on Derek Bentley, who in 1952 was arrested and eventually hanged for the murder of a policeman, though his accomplice was responsible. Very interesting, based on interviews with experts and witnesses. Some scenes depicted in old movie footage or recreations.

Ovantion is also advertising its app for getting its schedule and seeing programs.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Cheers Pat. The good old days when Cross was where he should be…..on the witness list.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      Cheers Pat. The good old days when Cross was where he should be…..on the witness list.
      Thanks, Herlock! Yep, very refreshing. This program seemed more interested in Richardson or Tumblety as suspects. I was amused to hear Sgt Thicke mentioned for arresting John Pfizer, without determining who actually owned the "leather apron" in question. What an embarrassment when police had to let Pfizer go with an apology!

I noticed that on the recent JtR episode of "The UnXplained" narrated by William Shatner, both Cross and Paul were merely referred to as "two deliverymen" who found a body and dutifully notified a constable. Maybe the "good old days" are creeping back, at least in Ripperology?
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Hi Pat,
        Sounds like those docs are a bit dated maybe? There's some great old ones feature the greats of ripperology, but many are run of the mill garbage. I can't honestly say there's an up to date documentary that impartiality looks at the evidence, but I'm sure those that know best will interject here. I mean, it's suspect based or nothing right?
        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Al, ha-ha! Yes, to judge from the threads here, suspects or nothing! And not merely one Ripper, but a super criminal who also dismembered women in his spare time!

I did note that last night's film seemed to refer to "evidence" that may no longer be considered canon-- were there really coins at Annie's feet or no? (Last night's narrator repeated this bit of lore.) I do think it was an older doc that had been cleaned up/restored.
          ---------------
          ---------------

Comment

Working...
          X