Berner Street Camera Mapped (3D)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berner Street Camera Mapped (3D)

Here is a YouTube vid of Berner Street given the 3D 'camera mapping' treatment. It only features the original Berner Street photograph but I wanted to expand it so that we can view a photo realistic (but guess work) camera mapping of Dutfield's Yard and an 'across street' camera pan.

What do you think so far?

(caveat: I know I have the buildings on the opposite side of the road ALL wrong but I wanted to stick something there as an example.

The YOUTUBE Link
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

G'Day Richard

Thanks, was that all done automatically be software or did it take considerable time.

GUT
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Richard,

A brilliant start on the Stride case in my view...

Being an outdated old fossil I really have no idea how you prepare these CGI files, but I do have a very good idea indeed of the amount of work you take on when you produce them, and so thank you for your efforts...

I've really enjoyed seeing the development of your Mitre Square stuff, and now look forward to seeing more of Berner Street...

Do you yet have any final plan for presenting all five canonicals in a coherent fashion?

All the best

Dave

Comment

I love to see this stuff. It's wonderful.

I'm sure this has been said before but that building being kind of a dead end, well, the Ripper must've been down there before his last time. Don't you think?

That little courtyard had no way out, am I correct? Do you plan to add the murder scenario?

Comment

Excellent Richard

I seem to recall someone pointing out that the cartwheel isn't on the wall like that, but is attached to the building on the left of the yard entrance

Very clever work I must say

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
            Excellent Richard

I seem to recall someone pointing out that the cartwheel isn't on the wall like that, but is attached to the building on the left of the yard entrance

Really? Hmmm. That's interesting. Although i'd have to disagree. The photo shows the wheel going behind and beyond the building to the left of the yard. It actually vanishes behind the left building, So unless it is attached to the left building by the very edge of its rim then I can see how else it could be positioned there (pretty much in fresh air). But you never know.

thanks

Comment

Excellent Richard

In fact, I am going to create another camera map of this, with the wheel positioned as you suggested nemo.

Also, notice that I can't walk the camera too far off the original position (angle) or else the perspective of the buildings begins to skew and twist noticeably. As the camera turns to look up Dutfields Yard (what I wanted to do) the illusion is lost.

Comment

Hi Richard

I had a look for the post I was referring to and it was from Phil Hutchinson who said...
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I found out something this morning, studying the famous photo of Berner Street from 1909.

The cartwheel we all assumed to be affixed to the wall of #40 isn't. It's actually attached to the wall of #42, projecting out over the pavement. It casts a shadow of its spokes on the gatepost and bottom right doorframe of #40.

PS
                I had a look at the press sketches and they don't illustrate the wheel at that position - was it there in 1888?
                Last edited by Nemo; 01-11-2014, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Nemo, I think you are correct. That's a daft place to put a wheel! Well I will make the necessary changes. Although this scene is, of course, not how Dutfield's Yard looked in 1888 so I guess it's academic really.

Hi Richard

I had a look for the post I was referring to and it was from Phil Hutchinson who said...
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I found out something this morning, studying the famous photo of Berner Street from 1909.

The cartwheel we all assumed to be affixed to the wall of #40 isn't. It's actually attached to the wall of #42, projecting out over the pavement. It casts a shadow of its spokes on the gatepost and bottom right doorframe of #40.

PS
                  I had a look at the press sketches and they don't illustrate the wheel at that position - was it there in 1888?

Comment

Okay, Here's the same video with the cartwheel positioned overhanging the pavement while attached to the left building going into Dutfields.

v2 YOUTUBE LINK

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                    Nemo, I think you are correct. That's a daft place to put a wheel! Well I will make the necessary changes. Although this scene is, of course, not how Dutfield's Yard looked in 1888 so I guess it's academic really.

Comment

That's brilliant Richard

Really amazing

Comment

Thanks Richard Wee Done
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words.
                          It certainly is an odd place to stick a cartwheel!

What do you think would be a good way to go with this mapping? A walk up Dutfield's Yard (using montage photos to reconstruct) OR leave as is and move on to another canonical victim scene?

That's brilliant Richard

Really amazing

Comment

G'Day Richard

Would love to see up Dutfield's Yard, and while having none of the skills you display would think a montage of photo's would be the way to go. Never having visited any of the sites, [and unlikely ever too in this damn chair] these are great.

G.U.T.
                            G U T

Comment

I think that's pretty good as it is Richard

It gives a good view of the murder spot and is very useful in visualising the street

Comment

Working...
                              X