History Channel doc on JtR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Channel doc on JtR

I just saw an ad for next Monday's episode of "History's Greatest Mysteries" which will be on the identity of Jack the Ripper. From the ad, I suspect they will be looking at the idea that H.H. Holmes was the culprit.

Yes, I know... but I saw recently that the results of Mudgett's DNA test with the remains in Holmes' grave did not match ... apparently lending possible credence to the rumor that Holmes didn't actually end up executed and buried in that surprisingly complex grave.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

I know there are a couple of people who are to appear on this. It will be interesting to see what they make of it.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

So that's what Mr. Clean (imdb link) does these days.
      As you can imagine by the series title, these are documentaries that are about history's mysteries. Nothing new here.
      These are not clues, Fred.
      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
      We will not.

Comment

A strong contender for one of the worst Ripper "documentaries" in recent memory.
        Rife with errors on even the most basic facts about the murders.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
          A strong contender for one of the worst Ripper "documentaries" in recent memory.
          Rife with errors on even the most basic facts about the murders.

JM
          agree, it was so embarrassing i had to stop watching. I was surprised because the series is usually pretty good.

Comment

The episode seemed less about the murders than listing various suspect theories. They left out the authors, artists, and poets, and only mentioned Charles Cross as a witness who found a victim. Still, giving Mudgett that much screen time (when I don't think Tumblety was mentioned at all?) was perhaps too much.

Overall, I liked it. "Who was Jack the Ripper?" Is a tougher and thornier subject, the further we get away from the events in time. This program did at least make an effort to organize the "theories" in some fashion, and it was cool to put faces to some people I only know as names here on Casebook.

---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              I just saw an ad for next Monday's episode of "History's Greatest Mysteries" which will be on the identity of Jack the Ripper. From the ad, I suspect they will be looking at the idea that H.H. Holmes was the culprit.

Yes, I know... but I saw recently that the results of Mudgett's DNA test with the remains in Holmes' grave did not match ... apparently lending possible credence to the rumor that Holmes didn't actually end up executed and buried in that surprisingly complex grave.
              Hello Pcdunn,

Just wondering where you got the information that the remains did not match Mudgett's DNA. I watched American Ripper last night and it said the exact opposite. Namely that the DNA was conclusive evidence that it was in fact Holmes that was buried in that grave.

c.d.

Comment

Hi, c.d.,

I'm not sure where I got that idea, possibly jumbled with the notion that Mudgett was disappointed about something to do with his theory. Sorry for the misinformation

I recently caught the end of "American Ripper" and did see the caption that yes, Mudgett was related to the exhumed remains from the Holmes grave, so his ancestor had indeed been executed and buried per law.

That deals a blow to Mudgett's idea that Holmes escaped the grave, murdered people related to his trial, and maybe was responsible for later crimes in America and elsewhere.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have deterred him from the idea that H.H. Holmes was Jack the Ripper. Indeed, if he can find more solid evidence, I wish him luck. Though, personally, I think Holmes is maybe a better suspect for at least some of the Thames Torso killings.

Last edited by Pcdunn; 05-22-2022, 09:10 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo.
                ---------------
                ---------------

Comment

There’s no evidence that H.H. Holmes ever traveled outside of North America and there’s ample evidence that he was in Chicago in September and October, 1888.
                  The claim that Holmes was Jack the Ripper is absurd.

JM
                  Last edited by jmenges; 05-22-2022, 01:59 PM.

Comment

It makes you wonder what kind of person would exaggerate and make things up just to try and convince people that Jack the Ripper was a family member?
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Agreed, Herlock.

If it was a family member of mine, or of a partner of mine, who was put forward as a potential suspect for the Whitechapel murders, I'd have moved heaven and earth to find evidence of innocence.

I will never understand the motivation of anyone who would do the opposite. It can't just be about ego and selling books - can it?

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Last edited by caz; 05-23-2022, 02:17 PM.
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I don't know. It has happened before, with other serial killers besides Jack. The fellow who thought his stepfather was the Black Dahlia murderer, one man who thought his dad was the Zodiac Killer, and even with Lechmere, some information was discredited because a descendant may have exaggerated the family knowledge about Charles.

I don't know. Mudgett is already proved to have a thoroughly despicable serial killer as a relative, why does he want (need?) to add Jack the Ripper's legacy to that burden?

I claim often to not understand people. This just makes my point.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

I don't know. Mudgett is already proved to have a thoroughly despicable serial killer as a relative, why does he want (need?) to add Jack the Ripper's legacy to that burden?

An excellent point.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

An excellent point.

c.d.
                            to make money

Comment

The so-called Holmes curse that they talked about was interesting. Apparently a number of people connected to his trial and arrest died mysteriously shortly after his hanging. Could be coincidence and there could be logical explanations. Seeing as how Holmes was paid a great deal of money for his story I would not put it passed him to have arranged for a little pay back from beyond the grave.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X