Ripper video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper video games

Hi, I've just been watching the amazing 3D recreations by Huux on YouTube and I'm just wondering if there are any really good, realistic games on jack the ripper. Seems like a really good factual mystery type puzzle game in the style of these recreations would be great.

Not for storyline. Many are are either vampire / time travel / occult themed.

However, the level of detail of the mapping and street rendering in the game "Assassins Creed: Syndicte" of Victorian Whitechapel is pretty impressive.

Last edited by erobitha; 03-05-2022, 05:14 PM.
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

Unfortunately, factual detail is what I meant. But I have played the AC game.

Comment

loved this game.

Comment

Yes, it was an ok one.

Comment

I once played a Ripper game on the old Sincalir Spectrum in the 1980s. It was mostly text with a few graphics. It had an 18 certificate and WH Smiths refused to sell it!

THe game was made by St. Bride's School. There's a wiki page about them. A group of women based in County Donegal who believed in a feminine supreme deity. They would dress in Victorian garb.

I also played a Microsoft DOS game on the Ripper in the 1990s.
            These are not clues, Fred.
            It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
            They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
            And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
            We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
              I once played a Ripper game on the old Sincalir Spectrum in the 1980s. It was mostly text with a few graphics. It had an 18 certificate and WH Smiths refused to sell it!

THe game was made by St. Bride's School. There's a wiki page about them. A group of women based in County Donegal who believed in a feminine supreme deity. They would dress in Victorian garb.

I also played a Microsoft DOS game on the Ripper in the 1990s.
              That looks class lol. I'd like to know how I could play the 1995 pc game jack the ripper. It looks quite well researched.

Comment

These days, if you don't have original hardware, you'd use a Spectrum emulator for the Spectrum game. For the DOS one, for which I found a video on Youtube linked below, the best way is to use DOSBox.
                If you don't know much about computers there's a good chance you'll have problems setting up these programs. For example, did you use DOS? Are you familiar with command line / terminal syntax?
                An emulator is basically a software version of hardware. There's emulators out there for loads of game consoles.
                Then you also have to source the games themselves to play in these emulators.

For the DOS game, I believe this video is a complete playthrough.
                Link -
                A playthrough of Gametek's 1995 Dos PC detective mystery visual novel, Jack the Ripper.A bit short and easy, but the graphics are awesome and the cases certa...
                And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                We will not.

Comment

I remember this vaguely for the Amiga called waxworks.

Comment

Did you have an Amiga at the time Dave? Waxworks was released in 1992

I had a PC with Microsoft DOS and the early versions of Windows back then. I always wanted an Amiga as well at the time but couldn't afford it.

There's still a lot of people running old Amigas with new hardware coming out for those old machines, as well as new Amigas on the market.
                    We will not.

Comment

Working...
                    X