Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Secret Identity of Jack the Ripper - 1988 Special Feature with Peter Ustinov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret Identity of Jack the Ripper - 1988 Special Feature with Peter Ustinov

Old hands will know this one, but for newcomers this is an absolute gem, which I found to be freely available on Youtube:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A panel of experts unanimously decided on Kosminski as the most likely suspect among a shortlist of suspect candidates.
    I found especially interesting Martin Fido's astute and concise presentation of his David Cohen theory, holding in his hands Swanson's copy of Anderson's memoirs. Also very interesting were the opinions offered by the FBI profiling experts.

It was my first time hearing the name Aaron Kosminski.

Comment

Originally posted by IchabodCrane View Post
      Old hands will know this one, but for newcomers this is an absolute gem, which I found to be freely available on Youtube:
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A panel of experts unanimously decided on Kosminski as the most likely suspect among a shortlist of suspect candidates.
      I found especially interesting Martin Fido's astute and concise presentation of his David Cohen theory, holding in his hands Swanson's copy of Anderson's memoirs. Also very interesting were the opinions offered by the FBI profiling experts.
      Great one! Saw it live in 1988.

Comment

A classic. It would be a good one for a rebooted version.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          A classic. It would be a good one for a rebooted version.
          Who would be the panel of experts you’d pick Herlock? Also what suspects and artefacts should be featured this time around? The same ones or new ones that would be included?

Who would be the ideal host?
          Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
          JayHartley.com

Comment

Absolutely a classic worth the watch for footage of Essex Wharf!! Still have this on video

Comment

This program was so impeccably written, everything was just perfectly timed and the opinions and intros so well articulated. Really impressive TV material. A reboot would be a great idea... obviously hosted by David Suchet so they can keep the Hercule Poirot style of polite questioning that Ustinov brought in here from his own impersonations of HP. Just leave the French accent. Top suspects by now I guess would be Tumblety, Hutchinson, Kosminski/Kaminski/Cohen, Lechmere and ... ?

Comment

This program was so impeccably written, everything was just perfectly timed and the opinions and intros so well articulated. Really impressive TV material. A reboot would be a great idea... obviously hosted by David Suchet so they can keep the Hercule Poirot style of polite questioning that Ustinov brought in here from his own impersonations of HP. Just leave the French accent. Top suspects by now I guess would be Tumblety, Hutchinson, Kosminski/Kaminski/Cohen, Lechmere and ... ?
                Maybe on the History Channel, but I don't think it would cause as big a stir as it did in 1988, with all the movies and television shows coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Who would be the panel of experts you’d pick Herlock? Also what suspects and artefacts should be featured this time around? The same ones or new ones that would be included?

Who would be the ideal host?
                  It would be a difficult choice but maybe I’d format it with say 6 suspects and perhaps with one person making the case for each suspect. So I’d have perhaps John Malcolm or Steve Blomer for Kozminski. Jon Hainsworth or David Anderson for Druitt. Fish for Lechmere. Someone for Tumblety, Maybrick (maybe Ike?) and Bury. Maybe even stretch it to 2 more suspects?

Who would be the experts? Paul Begg, David Wilson, a Forensics expert, a couple of detectives. Maybe a panel vote plus an audience vote?

Unsure about the host.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Steve Blomer for Kosminski?

And why not have the great Tom Wescott host?

Comment

How would you define'Expert',on this particular subject?

Comment

It would be a difficult choice but maybe I’d format it with say 6 suspects and perhaps with one person making the case for each suspect. So I’d have perhaps John Malcolm or Steve Blomer for Kozminski. Jon Hainsworth or David Anderson for Druitt. Fish for Lechmere. Someone for Tumblety, Maybrick (maybe Ike?) and Bury. Maybe even stretch it to 2 more suspects?

Who would be the experts? Paul Begg, David Wilson, a Forensics expert, a couple of detectives. Maybe a panel vote plus an audience vote?

Unsure about the host.
                        This is sounding like an excellent programme!

I'd go Rob House on Koz, Andersen on Druitt, Fish on Lechmere, Mike Hawley on Tumblety, Ike on James Maybrick, Bruce Robinson on Michael Maybrick, Tom Wescott on Legrand and Euan Macpherson on Bury.

Disappointed in myself for not having any ladies aboard though so Lindsay Siviter on the panel with Paul Begg, David Wilson, a female pathologist and a female forensic psychologist.

Mary Beard to host.

Or Haillie Rubenhold (joke!!!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

This is sounding like an excellent programme!

I'd go Rob House on Koz, Andersen on Druitt, Fish on Lechmere, Mike Hawley on Tumblety, Ike on James Maybrick, Bruce Robinson on Michael Maybrick, Tom Wescott on Legrand and Euan Macpherson on Bury.

Disappointed in myself for not having any ladies aboard though so Lindsay Siviter on the panel with Paul Begg, David Wilson, a female pathologist and a female forensic psychologist.

Mary Beard to host.

Or Haillie Rubenhold (joke!!!!!!)
                          Good point about the absence of women on my list.

Id add Caz and Debra Arif to the list too.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Good point about the absence of women on my list.

Id add Caz and Debra Arif to the list too.
                            Great idea!

Trevor on Feigenbaum too.

Comment

As most of those mentioned have already written books,and used other means to project their views,I would suggest,independent assessors,using information that is already recorded.A sort of Judge or Jury,tasked with deciding,fisrstly who qualifies as a suspect,and then who is the best suspect.

Comment

Working...
                              X