A study in terror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A study in terror

I watched this last night and thought it was a very good movie. Good acting, loved the characters especially the women, great cinematograpgy.. very atmospheric, good score. Loved the music and the portrayal of the pubs and people of the time. Good hard to figure mystery/plot. Loved the introduction of Mycroft Holmes he stole every scene he was in. And of course the fog! Gobs of it everywhere, thick as pea soup, swirling around like a ghost it was almost its own character lol.

anyway i thought superior to murder by decree but not as good as IMHO the mini masterpiece from hell.

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    I watched this last night and thought it was a very good movie. Good acting, loved the characters especially the women, great cinematograpgy.. very atmospheric, good score. Loved the music and the portrayal of the pubs and people of the time. Good hard to figure mystery/plot. Loved the introduction of Mycroft Holmes he stole every scene he was in. And of course the fog! Gobs of it everywhere, thick as pea soup, swirling around like a ghost it was almost its own character lol.

anyway i thought superior to murder by decree but not as good as IMHO the mini masterpiece from hell.
    Hi Abby,

As a Holmes/Doyle fan/collector I’m glad that you enjoyed A Study In Terror. John Neville made a very good Holmes imo. In the sixties he was asked to play Holmes in a tv series but theatre commitments prevented it so Peter Cushing got the job. I also agree that Robert Morley was great as Mycroft. Can’t say that Barbara Windsor much resembled poor old Annie Chapman though
    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 04-13-2019, 07:33 PM.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hi Abby,

As a Holmes/Doyle fan/collector I’m glad that you enjoyed A Study In Terror. John Neville made a very good Holmes imo. In the sixties he was asked to play Holmes in a tv series but theatre commitments prevented it so Peter Cushing got the job. I also agree that Robert Morley was great as Mycroft. Can’t say that Barbara Windsor much resembled poor old Annie Chapman though
      Her last name is Windsor? Lol. Loved the women actors/ and charoctors in this. So much personality! And they werent hard to look at either..

Comment

Hi Abby,

Btw my prized possession is an antique sherlock holmes pipe i got on ebay. Its sweet.

Comment

Btw my prized possession is an antique sherlock holmes pipe i got on ebay. Its sweet.
          I’m a fairly recent convert to pipe smoking but none of he three pipes that I own look anything like image of a Holmes-like one. I know that I’ll end up getting a couple though (maybe imitations because real ones will get used.)
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Her last name is Windsor? Lol. Loved the women actors/ and charoctors in this. So much personality! And they werent hard to look at either..
            Barbara is pretty much an English institution. She’s now 80 years old and has been happily married for years to a much younger man. Sadly she now has the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease.

A very famous short short clip that every U.K. man over forty will be familiar with.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m a fairly recent convert to pipe smoking but none of he three pipes that I own look anything like image of a Holmes-like one. I know that I’ll end up getting a couple though (maybe imitations because real ones will get used.)
              This is mine Best smoking pipe ever! Do yourself a favor and buy one of these preferably old and much used. Trust me.

Comment

This is mine Best smoking pipe ever! Do yourself a favor and buy one of these preferably old and much used. Trust me.
                Cheers Abby. I’ll be in London in late September where I intend to check out one or two of the tobacco stores. A new pipe is certainly on the cards. I’ve been considering a meerschaum or even a churchwarden. Don’t suppose it will make me think like Holmes though. The case will have to remain unsolved.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

IIRC Peter Cushing took over from Douglas Wilmer, and Nigel Stock was kept on as Watson. I seem to remember the Douglas Wilmer theme music was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    IIRC Peter Cushing took over from Douglas Wilmer, and Nigel Stock was kept on as Watson. I seem to remember the Douglas Wilmer theme music was very good.
                    He did indeed Robert. Cushing had already played Holmes in 1959 in Hammer’s version of The Hound Of The Baskervilles. He then followed the excellent Wilmer into a tv series (sadly only a few of them survive.) He last played Holmes at the age of 71, I believe, in The Masks Of Death in 1984 at which time even Cushing himself considered himself too old to play Holmes.( the only older Holmes that I can think of off the top of my head is Ian McKellen, apart from Gillette in a short radio reading) The film was pretty good though imo. Wilmer even made a cameo appearance in an episode of Sherlock.
                    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 04-15-2019, 06:42 PM.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                    X