Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by judyj View Post
    [I]
    The Real Jack the Ripper, was filmed at THE PLANTATION on the History Channel (CANADA) August 31, 2010.
    It was very, very well done. It tastefully described the lives of the poor in London, especially the prostitutes. It showed many pictures including murder sites. I was overjoyed with the fact that our well known authors and ripperologists all had their own introductions into the documentary. No one pushed a suspect they told the story as these professionals did quite well.
    It was great to see them all. Philip Hutchinson, Donald Rumbalow, Stewart Evans, Paul Begg, Bob Hinton, Neil Sheldon and I apologize that I am missing one. It was very interesting to see Maureen Nicols (relative of Polly Nicols) and Relatives of Annie Chapman's also present. How does one react when you are shown where your grandmothers were murdered? Knowing also that they were butchered by Englland's own Jack the Ripper, who will never be brought to justice? It is haunting to say the least.
    To sum up it was an excellent documentary and an absolute thrill to see some of my favourite authors & Ripperologists.
    WELL DONE TO ALL.
    Finally something broadcast in Canada and I missed it. Sigh. Hopefully it will get repeated soon. Thanks for the info.

Comment

As far as Worst documentary goes, the first one that comes to my mind is the one made by Patricia Cornwell. I'm unsure of the title but it was made to coincide with her book Portrait of a Killer. Just my opinion though.

Comment

There was a good one with Peter Ustinov.

Comment

There was a good one with Peter Ustinov.
          Wiz or wizout ze little grey cells?

Dave

Comment

Not as good a Poirot as Suchet, but better than Finney. With Finney, I kept getting reminded of that maid in 'Allo 'Allo, the one who causes everyone to take out their hankies.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Not as good a Poirot as Suchet, but better than Finney. With Finney, I kept getting reminded of that maid in 'Allo 'Allo, the one who causes everyone to take out their hankies.
              This column is great. I intend to see these, bad or good. Great one is on Youtube.

Speaking of the maid in Allo Allo, I've never seen it but I think you are talking about Vicki Michelle, of whom I only know from 'Virgin Witch.' an 1970s movie with a ridiculous amount of nudity. Not my sort at all but bought this because I ran across the music on the internet and love it. The house and gardens shot at Admirals Walk in Pirbright are beautiful.

I have Unmasking the Ripper. Seemed pretty honest attempt to tell the story and it's got a nice slow pace with spooky atmospheric music (I guess that's important to me, lol). Popped it in just now to see again. Wish there were more of these.

Comment

Hi Beowulf

No, I think it's Maria. Very guttural character.

Comment

I was surprised to see Shadow of the Ripper is watchable online, but after a 5 minute preview you have to download some site to watch more.

Not sure if the site is safe to do this but this is the link:

Comment

For me the definitive Poirot is Albert Finney in 'Murder on the Orient Express' (1974) because he is so charismatic and entertaining. The great Peter Ustinov was an impressionist, not an actor, while Suchet is too pleased with himself, and his voice lacks authority.

The best Ripper doco is 'Secret History: The Whitechapel Murders' which, though flawed as they all are, is still the most fascinating and enthralling because it is about a genuine, jaw-dropping breakthrough via a recently discovered primary source (plus overlooked primary sources): the Littlechild Letter.

It also has the best music.

Comment

Hi Jonathan

I haven't read many of Christie's books, but Suchet in an interview said that the darker stories came towards the end of her career. So Finney was suitably sombre in the Orient Express film, as was Suchet in his version.

Suchet is pleased with himself in the stories with Japp, Hastings and Miss Lemon, but his vanity nearly always becomes a cause for amusement in the viewer. And there are lots of times when he is disappointed to find that the person to whom he is speaking has never heard of him. Plenty of chuckles.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiac View Post
                        Thanks JTR,

Here is a link to Part 1 of it... Part 1 of 7

Part 1 of a documentary, produced by Michael Winner, about the discovery of a diary that was supposedly written by Jack The Ripper.

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                        Thanks for this link. I look forward to watching it.

Comment

To Robert

No chuckles for me, I'm afraid.

And the Suchet version of 'Orient Express' was an offensive, infantile and almost Medieval-Christian embarrassment -- both overwrought and flat -- which would have had Dame Christie turning in her grave.

Comment

Working...
                          X