From Hell vs. Jack the Ripper (1988)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Hell vs. Jack the Ripper (1988)

Hello. If any of you are a fan of Ripper films, you'll know there quite a few things in common with the 1988 miniseries and the Hollywood motion picture, both in plot and characters, though there are considerale differences in storyline, characters, and length. What I wanted to get is everyone's opinion on which one is better. Also, specifically, which actor portrayed their character better in both movies. Here is the list below:

Frederick Abberline- Johnny Depp or Michael Caine

Sir William Gull/Jack the Ripper- Ian Holm or Ray McAnally

Sergeant Peter/George Godley-Robbie Coltrane or Lewis Collins

John Netley-Jason Flemyng or George Sweeney

Sir Charles Warren-Ian Richardson or Hugh Fraser

George Lusk-Vincent Franklin or Michael Gothard

Catherine Eddowes-Lesley Sharp or Susan George

Mary Kelly-Heather Graham or Lysette Anthony

Let me know which you like better, and why. And also, tell me why you think which movie is better in your opinion. I look forward to hearing back from you.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

I, for one, liked the miniseries a little better, though I do enjoy both films and Ian Holm's characterization of Gull was pretty creepy.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Are YOU Mary Clarke?

Hello JTR. Well, if you are not including the 1959 Baker and Berman cinema, then I shan't play.

The best.
      LC

Comment

Even though I could list pages of inaccuracies in the miniseries, I could list just as many things it got right and it is my favorite, blowing "From Hell" away in so many areas. First and foremost, it did not try to be a horror movie.

Michael Caine wins as Abberline. Don't get me wrong, Depp is a fantastic actor and he needs to win an Oscar one of these years (Caine already has, twice if I'm not mistaken). It's just the idea of casting Depp as Abberline that strikes me as ridiculous, no matter how good a performance he gave. Caine was surely one of the best choices for the part in the world at that time. I just wish he had grown the facial hair for it.

Ray McAnally looked a lot more like the real Dr. Gull than Ian Holm, and I liked his take on the character more as well.

It's a tie on Godley- I'd like to see Collins' performance channeled into Coltraine's body, and for Coltaine to grow a moustache. Godley appears to have been a more husky fellow than Collins.

And I am a sucker for Lysette Anthony. Her performance as the witch Angelique in the early 90s redo of "Dark Shadows" made me swoon. I don't know why she colored her hair dark to play Mary Kelly- it was not her natural color and if she was going to dye it shouldn't she have gone red like the real MJK? Heather Graham did, but went way too far with her flaming orange. I vote for Anthony's performance, but as far as accuracy goes neither movie came anywhere close to getting any of the victims right.

Comment

Just looked this up: Lysette Anthony was also closer in age to the real Mary Kelly, at 24. Heather Graham was 31.

Comment

Dispite the fact I love the graphic novel written by Alan Moore I hated the movie "From Hell". There were almost no similarities between the book and the movie.

As for the comparison between "From Hell" and "Jack the Ripper" featuring Michael Caine I'd say the mini-series wins hands down. Almost every part of the mini-series was better than the Hughes brothers' film. The casting, the script, the look of Whitechapel, almost everything. There were certain things the Hughes brothers did well, but they're sparcely placed between all the things they got wrong. About the only complaint you can make about the mini-series (besides Caine's over-the-top acting at times) is the last 30 or so minutes which fell into a well of fantasy almost as deep as "From Hell".

Quite frankly the only reason I bought the DVD for "From Hell" was because I was hoping for an interview with Alan Moore (which wasn't there), and simply because it's part of the JtR movie collection. I'll buy the worst Ripper movie for that reason (and on occasion have bought the worst ripper movies).
            "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello JTR. Well, if you are not including the 1959 Baker and Berman cinema, then I shan't play.

The best.
              LC
              Hi lynn. The reason I chose these 2 movies specifically is because they have both have plot lines and characters that are similar. That's why I chose to ask other bloggers to compare and contrast their good and bad points. So far, the 1988 miniseries seems to be more favorable among the bloggers

Me personally, I like them both but for different reasons.

Although I have already mentioned Gull, I like the characterization of George Sweeney as Netley rather than Jason Flemyng. Sweeeny is more arrogant and gives off a harsh attitude (especially when being "interrogated" by Abberline) whereas Flemyng's portrayal seems to be more cowardly and gutless.

Comment

cinema

Hello JTR. Actually, I doubt if any of our crew is old enough to remember the Baker and Berman variant.

I have seen the Depp movie and was BITTERLY disappointed. I knew its premise and made peace with that. But some of the other inaccuracies (Liz as a lesbian? They are in jest, of course. Perhaps a play on words?) were too much to bear.

Oh well, Ian Holm is always good.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

One other thing, Hugh Fraser's characterization of Warren is much more accurate than that of Richardson's. Fraser's hair color and length as well as his mustache is pretty much the same as we see in photographs of Warren that we have. He also wore actual uniforms that Warren was known to wear at the time.

Richardson, however, kinda looks ridiculous with his massive hair and mustache, which is all turning white, as if Warren was in his ancient years. When, in fact, after Warren's career in the Metropolitan police, he returned to his Army career. One oher thing the From Hell movie shows is Warren actually at the scene of the Dorset Street murder, and has a brief struggle with Abberline, when Warren was not even there that morning! He was the process of resigning at that point, which the movie does not mention at all.

Comment

BillyE, you'll likely never see an Alan Moore interview attached to any of the movies made from his work. He is notorious for hating them all and having nothing to do with them. ("V for Vendetta," "Watchmen," etc.)

And JTRSickert, if you recall, both movies show Charles Warren at the Dorset Street crime scene. In the miniseries, he makes a few somber comments and then walks away, with Chief Superintendent Arnold nodding after him, "He's offered to resign. Lost a good man."

Comment

Here's a question- Which end does everyone prefer for the Ripper when caught in these two movies, going calmly or raving madly?

"From Hell"- Stoically reciting lines like "Years from now, men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century."

"Jack the Ripper"- Thrashing about in handcuffs yelling "My work! The mind! They're only whores! They're only worthless whores! You're destroying it all!"

Comment

And if I can get away with three posts in a row, a similar question on the two depictions of the Dorset Street murder.

"From Hell"- The Ripper reaching in through the broken window and opening the door, then coming in and sitting down on the bed beside the sleeping woman he believes to be Mary Kelly and taking that long pause before he does anything... gotta admit, when I watched that in the theater it had me squirming in my seat a bit in suspense, thinking "Ooooh, how are they going to show this?"

"Jack the Ripper"- It is this one, though, that gets my vote. Mary silhouetted in the window of the near-perfectly reproduced Miller's Court singing "Sweeeeet Violets" as the Ripper comes down the archway toward her door still makes me shiver every time I watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
                          Here's a question- Which end does everyone prefer for the Ripper when caught in these two movies, going calmly or raving madly?

"From Hell"- Stoically reciting lines like "Years from now, men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century."

"Jack the Ripper"- Thrashing about in handcuffs yelling "My work! The mind! They're only whores! They're only worthless whores! You're destroying it all!"

Hey kensei,

I'd have to say I like Ian Holm's ending better. For one thing, his eyes change when he reveals himself to be Jack. And he is quite good in delivering his lines to Depp. I also found the part where he is hacking up "Mary" to be quite disturbing, when he starts hallucinating and laughing to himself and we can clearly see he is quite mad.

Also, I do like the part in the 1988 version when he just walks in, doesn't say anything, takes out his blade, and gets to work.

Comment

Hey everyone!!

Ahhh, it's good to be back on the board after such a time away! hehe.

I am fans of both the 1988 and Johnny Depp JtR films. I did find, however, that the 1988 film was extremely well researched. I was surprised at this because I thought it was going be a cheesy 1980s assumptive film.

The Depp film was also good. Had some well known theories about the case interwoven into the piece. I do believe it assumed a lot and gave somewhat characterisation of Whitechapel / London - that may have been the point, however. But Aberline kissing Mary - I was so angry at that! Lol.

But I do like both, however, I tend to watch the 1988 film a lot more these days. Although the acting can be a little over the top at times, I love Caine's performance at the end when they cover up the case.

Thanks guys!

Yimmit.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                              Actually, I doubt if any of our crew is old enough to remember the Baker and Berman variant.
                              Oh dear

I saw that when it came out when I was about 14.
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                              X