Jack the Ripper:Tabloid Killer:Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper:Tabloid Killer:Revealed

This documentary is 6 parts starting next Wednesday 24th June from 8pm-9pm on Channel 5 (UK only).

It reads:

'The series revisiting historical events returns.
    Former tabloid editor Kelvin Mackenzie examines the role the 1880's press played in creating a media sensation with the Whitechapel Murders.'

One to watch or one to avoid,the choice is yours peeps.

Well....If it's that or Big Brother...........
    Steve

Comment

True,say no more on that front Steve.
      Big Brother ? YUK !!
      Mind you this Ripper docu is on my youngest daughters 11th birthday so i will probably miss it,catch up with it later though.

Comment

Isn't this the Andrew Cook documentary?
        Regards Mike

Comment

Search me Mike,i just found it.
          It has stated in the paper thats it's not a repeat or anything so i couldn't tell you.

Comment

Sorry Guys just noticed this..yes Mike it is...check other thread for detailed link...

Pirate

Comment

Six one hour parts? That's pretty damn hefty. Not that it matters, we probably won't get it down here for years. I'm still waiting on the one Philip was in that y'all saw around Christmas

Still, a bit of a bummer that so much time and effort on a Jack doco series is on this bit of nonsense.

B.
              Bailey
              Wellington, New Zealand
              hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
              www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

No, its 1 x 60 minute..

Lion Television is one of the most successful television production companies in the UK.

Heres the link again

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by halomanuk
                  Mind you this Ripper docu is on my youngest daughters 11th birthday so i will probably miss it,catch up with it later though.
                  It doesn't start until 8pm. Surely you'll be done partying by then? Man, a 6 hour documentary.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi all

This link to broadcast Mag, gives a better idea about the fourth coming channel five series...

Former Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie will investigate the relationship between Jack the Ripper and the press in one of six films for Five's Revealed strand.

Pirate

Comment

I'm a bit confused about what is the aim of the documentary, following Pirates link it suggests it investigates the roll of the press in misleading the police while the trailer on tv just now claims to have nailed the killer (surprise!). still if anyone knows about misleading and fabricated press reports its probably Kelvin MacKenzie! Still I will watch on the off chance i might learn some new angle on the case. By the way the trailer was at the end of Logans Run, I'd forgotten how hot Jenny Agutter was in that film.

Comment

Problem

The problem for any new Jack the Ripper television documentary, or indeed book, is to come up with a new idea or angle and new information.

It must be obvious to all that this 'press approach' is not a new one but it is, at least, well researched here and some new information does appear. It should be interesting and two sequences involving me were shot, one where I am discussing the case with Andrew Cook and the other a protracted general interview with me about the case that went on for some two hours filming, although only a fraction of this will be showm (thank goodness).

I haven't seen the programme but a trailer was shown on Channel 5 last night and it looks to have been well made. You have to expect the usual 'case solved' claims which seem par for the course but are always overblown. It's called media marketing.
                        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

People in the media stretching the truth? Surely not. They always seem like such cuddly, honest and kindly fellows to me…

That said, I’m also looking forward to tomorrow night and hope it all goes well SPE.

I always enjoy what you have to say.

It will be interesting to see how closely they have stuck to the claims made in Andrew Cook's book and from my point of view what they do with the graphics and recon.

Should be an interesting night.

Pirate

PS if they are claiming that they have 'solved the case' it should be very interesting indeed. Does this remind anybody of anyone?
                          Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 06-22-2009, 12:01 PM.

Comment

So, this documentary on Jack the Ripper, channel 5, they claim to have "solved" the mystery of the 1888 murders... are they talking about the person who wrote the letters to the police has been discovered or the actual murderer? Because I'm Royally confused as to what they're making out on the adverts...

Comment

It seems to be quite common with JTR documentaries - the claim to have 'solved' the mystery. I'll believe it when I see it! Still, Wednesday night not being noted for it's TV opportunities, I'll be watching.

Jane x

Comment

Working...
                              X