Off the Shelf: Mr. Crippen, Cora and the Body in the Basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off the Shelf: Mr. Crippen, Cora and the Body in the Basement

Coming Soon to Rippercast: Off the Shelf, hear the episode with so much cursing it literally got me banned from Facebook. Because dropping F-bombs is tantamount to terrorist activity according to Zuckerberg.

Due out, probably next week once the Council for the Moral Majority has properly vetted it and ruled it no longer a threat to the sensibilities of everyone everywhere.

Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Well, it was a book...

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Podcast - Off the Shelf: Crippen, Cora and The Body in the Basement

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Looking forward to this one. I attempted to get Amazon to review the absurd pricing for the e-book version, but I am afraid that they didn't think it was as absurd as I did.

Also, not quite certain how to react to a Facebook ban, accept to say, "I have been thrown out of better places than this!"

Comment

Lol, I literally got banned for saying that there were some "F-bombs" dropped in the review of the book. Apparently Facebook took that as a threat of a LITERAL actual bombing and banned me. Which is ... on the one hand, hysterically funny and absurd, but on the other hand maddening. Ah well.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

There is very little with Facebook that makes any sense and were it not for the fact that this was the best way for me to stay in contact with some friends and some family, I would abandon frigging fabulously farcical Facebook faster than rotten egg. I have not finished the current podcast yet, but I may purchase the f-book (excuse, e-book) just to raise my blood pressure.

I am at the point in the podcast that is starting the discussion on the evaluation of the DNA specimen. I have my own issues with the "scientific" rigor of this study, the first being is that you SHOULD NOT start from the premise that you know a thing to be true and then set about proving that truth. This approach allows for bias to enter the study and can result in the elimination of negative or confounding results as well as arriving at conclusions that are misleading. The link to the paper in question is (The Conviction of Dr. Crippen: New Forensic Findings in a Century Old Murder - Foran - 2011 - Journal of Forensic Sciences - Wiley Online Library). The paper itself is behind a paywall.

Anyway, I highly recommend this podcast, the hosts and guest are always entertaining and intelligent and this book and the "science" behind the DNA results deserves a good rant or two.

Comment

It was loads of fun participating in this episode. A 180 from the experience of reading this book.
            Plus Ally did an excellent job hosting and editing, making it even more enjoyable, leaving me with nothing to do but moan and complain and then forget about it.

JM

Comment

Having a vest and combinations interest in Crippen being guilty, I of course enjoyed the ranting parts of this particular podcast immensely.
              Great job everyone. xxy

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                Having a vest and combinations interest in Crippen being guilty, I of course enjoyed the ranting parts of this particular podcast immensely.
                Great job everyone. xxy
                Thank you! If nothing else this book has made me want to read a better book about Crippen, so I guess that's something to say for it.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Working...
                X