Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off the Shelf: The Case of the Salmon Sandwiches by M.W Oldridge

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Off the Shelf: The Case of the Salmon Sandwiches by M.W Oldridge

    The gang sits down to discuss The Case of the Salmon Sandwiches, and one reviewer gives it 0/5 stars! This show is going to the dogs.

    Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Podcast - OTS: The Case of the Salmon Sandwiches

    Let all Oz be agreed;
    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ally View Post
    The gang sits down to discuss The Case of the Salmon Sandwiches, and one reviewer gives it 0/5 stars! This show is going to the dogs.

    Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Podcast - OTS: The Case of the Salmon Sandwiches
    LOL! what new devilry is this? Never heard of this case. listening to now-sounds interesting. Already putting it on my list of true crime books to get.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

    -Edgar Allan Poe


    "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

    -Frederick G. Abberline

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

      LOL! what new devilry is this? Never heard of this case. listening to now-sounds interesting. Already putting it on my list of true crime books to get.
      It is a really good story, I hadn't heard of it either, but it's fascinating. It left me wondering, in the best way.

      Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

      Comment


      • #4
        I was hoping that my copy of the book would have arrived by now, but it hasn't. Regardless, going to listen to the podcast now!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RManny View Post
          I was hoping that my copy of the book would have arrived by now, but it hasn't. Regardless, going to listen to the podcast now!
          Honestly, don't! Read the book first. We aren't as interesting and there's spoilers!

          Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ally View Post

            Honestly, don't! Read the book first. We aren't as interesting and there's spoilers!
            If you insist. Then I shall impatiently wait. :-)


            Richard

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ally View Post

              Honestly, don't! Read the book first. We aren't as interesting and there's spoilers!
              actually pretty entertaining and funny podcast! i really enjoyed it
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

              -Edgar Allan Poe


              "...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

              -Frederick G. Abberline

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

                actually pretty entertaining and funny podcast! i really enjoyed it
                Thank you for the kindness! It helps when you have good source material to draw from.

                Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It has arrived!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Salmon Sandwiches - the missing ingredient.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	782855

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, listened to most recent podcast on "the Case of the Salmon Sandwiches" by M.W. Oldridge. Ally Ryder, Jonathan Menges and Jon Rees did a wonderful job of discussing the book, with the exception of the nit that I will pick in a moment.

                    I listened to the podcast while driving, in fact listened to it twice to make certain that I had picked up all the details. I strongly agree with Mr Menges that Oldridge's writing style feels as though you are sitting across the table from him, listening as he tells you a most gripping tale. Now, my confession. I did not complete the book before listening to the podcast. That troubled me not in the least. The terrific trio did a marvelous job of NOT spoiling the book and therefore, I shall not either, at least as far as I have read...and I plan on completing the book because it is so good.

                    My nit to pick has to do with the scrupulous avoidance of spoilers by the panel, and I feel that, me, myself and I would have been quite fine having the book spoiled. Others, maybe not. I love surprises, but as this book is relatively close to my consulting job, I understand that often, the answers that are supported by fact do not always seem final or satisfying. Had the panel have discussed the case from one end to the other, I would have been quite pleased, but I am, quite possibly, speaking for a minority. Here endeth my quibble.

                    POSSIBLE SPOILER: Stop reading this now, have a cup of coffee, a cup of tea, a glass of water or a pint of ale, then casually scroll past what follows.

                    I found it interesting, but not surprising that early on, the consulting physician made a provisional diagnosis of poisoning. Given the nature of poison in question and evolution of symptoms, I have to tip my hat to him. However, given the ubiquity of this poison and its prevalence in industry, agriculture and homes at the time of this case, I suspect that he had probably seen several similar, albeit accidental poisonings and had witnessed a variety of manifestations of its toxicity.

                    POSSIBLE SPOILER IS DONE:

                    One of the things that I enjoy about OTS, is that you have been able to include the author in the podcast and Oldridge was quite refreshing to listen to. He was not only articulate but honest. He hates promoting his own books. God bless him.

                    Thanks folks, keep up the good work!

                    Richard

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RManny View Post

                      My nit to pick has to do with the scrupulous avoidance of spoilers by the panel, and I feel that, me, myself and I would have been quite fine having the book spoiled. Others, maybe not. I love surprises, but as this book is relatively close to my consulting job, I understand that often, the answers that are supported by fact do not always seem final or satisfying. Had the panel have discussed the case from one end to the other, I would have been quite pleased, but I am, quite possibly, speaking for a minority. Here endeth my quibble.
                      Yes, I went back and forth on this because on the one hand, I wanted to endlessly discuss the book, and on the other, I didn't want to spoil for other people, because I found the unfolding narrative interesting to read as I knew nothing about the case and thought that would be best for the listener. But these OTS are an evolving process and I found it a little constraining not spoiling the book, so I don't know how well we'll stick to that in the future.


                      One of the things that I enjoy about OTS, is that you have been able to include the author in the podcast and Oldridge was quite refreshing to listen to. He was not only articulate but honest. He hates promoting his own books. God bless him.
                      We were greatly pleased that he agreed to come on, knowing how he feels about promotion. The author of our next book has not agreed to come on, but we do plan to have the authors when they agree to appear.

                      Glad you enjoyed the podcast and are enjoying the book!



                      Let all Oz be agreed;
                      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X