No announcement yet.

A Petticoat Parley: Women in Ripperology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without even commenting on this tour it certainly seems that HR is now the go to ‘expert’ on all things to do with the case. At least she hasn’t used it as a stick to batter Ripperologist with but there’s still time for that.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      I think that those involved in the podcast should get together and write a book. An honest female perspective from people that know what they're talking about.
      I couldn't possibly write a book. My male overlords would never agree to that. Deep in their hearts, they know my amazing oration would stir the heart and inflame the mind and soon all their works would be relegated to the dustbin of history and their fragile little egos just couldn't take it.

Just kidding, I'm not so narcissistic as to think an entire group of people are going to be personally outraged or threatened by anything I write and en masse mount a campaign to take little ol' me down for no reason. You'd have to be an egotist on a pathological level to think that.

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Thank you for your kind words everyone. Unless we all make a concerted effort to make our voices heard, her narrative will win. We've already seen 2 National Curriculum publishers change or about to change their wording when it comes to the victims and prostitution. People are running scared for fear of being labelled a misogynist. We need to make a stand. Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post

I couldn't possibly write a book. My male overlords would never agree to that. Deep in their hearts, they know my amazing oration would stir the heart and inflame the mind and soon all their works would be relegated to the dustbin of history and their fragile little egos just couldn't take it.

Just kidding, I'm not so narcissistic as to think an entire group of people are going to be personally outraged or threatened by anything I write and en masse mount a campaign to take little ol' me down for no reason. You'd have to be an egotist on a pathological level to think that.
          Let’s just hope that the podcast gets the widest possible hearing Ally.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Probably one of the most satisfying rippercasts I’ve listened to in terms of content i 100% agree with.
            I would love to hear the same participants give opinions on other ripper related content, individual suspects etc.
            Or if that has already happened then please point me in the direction of it.

Great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Yabs View Post
              Probably one of the most satisfying rippercasts I’ve listened to in terms of content i 100% agree with.
              I would love to hear the same participants give opinions on other ripper related content, individual suspects etc.
              Or if that has already happened then please point me in the direction of it.

Great stuff
              Thank you!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                Excellent podcast. Let’s hope that it opens a few minds and encourages Halle’s disciples not just to take everything that she says at face value. Once someone is on a pedestal thoughthey’re difficult do dislodge especially when she’s had so many glowing reviews and reviews tend to carry weight without regard to the person reviewing. A hundred people could read a book on the Romans and give it a great review commending the in depth research but what value would that hold if Mary Beard then pointed out the catalogue of errors and the dodgy editing? If we got 20 great reviews of a ripper book on Amazon and glowing comments all over the net but Paul Begg said it was crap who would we believe? I think that those involved in the podcast should get together and write a book. An honest female perspective from people that know what they’re talking about.
                Well put, Mike.

I’ve planted the seed of the podcast in a few pro-five Facebook discussions. But I bet none of the participants bothers to nurture it in their barren minds.

And I’m sure that my doing so will be used as evidence of me trolling HR. Lord O is no doubt still keeping count.

It would be so satisfying if just one of HR’s adoring acolytes asked me why I feel it was dishonest of her to use the chapter title ‘The Ballad of Kate and Tom’. I could explain it without my drooling adoration of the Ripper being even remotely evident.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Well put, Mike.

I’ve planted the seed of the podcast in a few pro-five Facebook discussions. But I bet none of the participants bothers to nurture it in their barren minds.

And I’m sure that my doing so will be used as evidence of me trolling HR. Lord O is no doubt still keeping count.

It would be so satisfying if just one of HR’s adoring acolytes asked me why I feel it was dishonest of her to use the chapter title ‘The Ballad of Kate and Tom’. I could explain it without my drooling adoration of the Ripper being even remotely evident.
                  I won’t be surprised if, in certain hands, this post is reduced to ‘my…adoration of the Ripper.’
                  Last edited by MrBarnett; 10-16-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I haven't posted here in like forever. But I do catch Rippercast from time to time.

Well, what grinds my gears is that Ms Rubenhold really didn't go into what role Alcoholism played in these Women's lives. But then, I guess she would of had to touch on their Sex Working Careers, which does not exist in her mind.

Was she writing about the Five or doing her own unique spin on Ibsen's A Doll's House? "A Doll's House In Whitechaple"?

Seriously though, what about re-publishing Neal Sheldon's book. That would be constructive and give the general layman the actual facts of the case and not "Whitchaple Heights"..

Comment

I just listened to this podcast in it's entirety and loved it.

The panel summed up my feelings on The Five far more eloquently and eruditely than I could have done.

I too had such high hopes for this book, but was bitterly disappointed when it was published.

It could have been such a great work, but the author's need to sanitise the lives of these women and portray them as mere ciphers with no autonomy or volition did a disservice to them, and to the whole feminist ethos which the book purported to champion.

Prior to publication I was unaware of the books original proposed title.

Had I known, it would have set the alarm bells ringing and I would have approached it with much lower expectations and perhaps a warranted sense of trepidation.

I also really enjoyed the conversation around definitions of sexism and misogyny and individual experiences of such.

Brilliant work.

More of this stuff please!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                        I just listened to this podcast in it's entirety and loved it.

The panel summed up my feelings on The Five far more eloquently and eruditely than I could have done.

I too had such high hopes for this book, but was bitterly disappointed when it was published.

It could have been such a great work, but the author's need to sanitise the lives of these women and portray them as mere ciphers with no autonomy or volition did a disservice to them, and to the whole feminist ethos which the book purported to champion.

Prior to publication I was unaware of the books original proposed title.

Had I known, it would have set the alarm bells ringing and I would have approached it with much lower expectations and perhaps a warranted sense of trepidation.

I also really enjoyed the conversation around definitions of sexism and misogyny and individual experiences of such.

Brilliant work.

I can't tell you how pleased we are that we are getting overall positive reactions to the podcast. We will be discussing more along these lines at the upcoming panel at the online Ripper Conference as well as some of the reactions from Rubenhold (like being called a Troll Army sent by our male masters to attack her for the "optics".) Hope everyone can tune in for what will surely be a fantastically vicious time.

But thank you so much for the compliments, we are happy that some of our comments are resonating with people.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post

I can't tell you how pleased we are that we are getting overall positive reactions to the podcast. We will be discussing more along these lines at the upcoming panel at the online Ripper Conference as well as some of the reactions from Rubenhold (like being called a Troll Army sent by our male masters to attack her for the "optics".) Hope everyone can tune in for what will surely be a fantastically vicious time.

But thank you so much for the compliments, we are happy that some of our comments are resonating with people.
                          It really did resonate, Ally!

It was gratifying to hear the "feminist" narrative as dictated by Rubenhold challenged by a bunch of well informed, knowledgeable ladies.

It would always be instinctive to me to back a female writer writing from a feminist perspective in such a male dominated field, but on reading the book the reality was somewhat different.

You gotta call bulls*!t when you see it!!

I will very much look forward to logging in on the 30th to hear your next discussion, and would encourage anyone who hasn't listened to the podcast to give it a whirl!

Comment

Is the Fru Fru FB group still active?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                              Is the Fru Fru FB group still active?
                              It still exists but no activity in quite a while.

JM

Comment

Coming to this late. Thanks so much! It was a blast participating in this with Ally and the other panelists.

I’ve actually bounced this whole dialogue about HR and The Five off feminist friends outside the Ripperology community, and they’re all in agreement with those of us on the panel. Which is odd, because I would have expected more nuance in responses. So what we can gather from this is that HR and her approach to the book resonates with a very specific demographic. HR can only silence other feminist perspectives on the case for so long. That’s why she was so angry about the podcast. So we need to keep talking about this and including others in the discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X