• Show
Clear All

• A Petticoat Parley: Women in Ripperology

We are pleased to bring to you the following round table discussion:

A Petticoat Parley: Women in Ripperology

With Tiffany Durkan, Samantha Hulass,
    Suzie Huntington, Madeline Keane and Amanda Lloyd
    Hosted by Ally Ryder

Click image for larger version  Name:	a5273e85-f239-4199-a71b-823a5e4c4c8c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	770592

Available to stream or download now at the following link:

Also in Apple & Google podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Tunein Radio,
    and wherever all-female panel discussions about Ripperology can be found.

Thank you to all who participated.

And thanks for listening!

JM

It’s a long ‘un. It starts off very well indeed - I’ll have to set aside some time later to listen to the whole thing.

Comment

Look forward to this. Will be interesting to hear in light of all of what is going on at the moment with certain authors books and podcasts!
      Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Yeah, this sounds really interesting.

I'll definitely make time and have a listen.

Comment

I’ve listened to the whole thing. It is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            I’ve listened to the whole thing. It is excellent.

I have passed on your compliment to the ladies who participated. Thank you for the kindness!

Let all Oz be agreed;
            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

This was a fantastic podcast. Honest, well articulated and intelligent discussion. Well done ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                This was a fantastic podcast. Honest, well articulated and intelligent discussion. Well done ladies.
                Thank you!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

One of the best podcasts I've heard in ages. Debs says it all really, it was intelligent and articulate, and it said everything that had to be said. I'm pleased that they made clear that Trevor Marriott is not representative of Ripperology, and more pleased that they emphasised that Mark Ripper NEVER likened Hallie Rubenhold to a Holocaust denier. Well done to one and all, but especially to Ally who was an excellent chairperson and held the whole production together.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                    One of the best podcasts I've heard in ages. Debs says it all really, it was intelligent and articulate, and it said everything that had to be said. I'm pleased that they made clear that Trevor Marriott is not representative of Ripperology, and more pleased that they emphasised that Mark Ripper NEVER likened Hallie Rubenhold to a Holocaust denier.
                    I was really quite flabbergasted by the Mark Ripper thing. Either I missed that bit of drama entirely or it went down during one of my migraine weeks and it slid right out of my head. Truly flooring. She's still spinning that outrageous garbage on Twitter even today. I went back and listened to that bit in the podcast to see if there was ANY possible way that she could have misinterpreted it, just because I'm a fool and do attempt to see all sides before judging, but boy do I have my judgy pants on thoroughly after I re-listened to that bit. There was no way to misinterpret it, I mean he said about 9 times, "I am in no way comparing these two situation on any level, just using a quote from a book I think applies", and he said it like 9 different ways. I mean at this point it's clear, that this is her "great opus" upon which she intends to hitch her wagon and any criticism, no matter how valid, is viewed as nothing more than an attack. She can't take it on board, so she's just wildly spinning us all as frothing, insane azzholes out to "get her". It's quite a textbook example of bigotry in action. Broadbrush a group with bad actions and therefore attempt to dehumanize and delegitimize them. And yes, I am calling her a bigot. Because her actions fit the literal textbook definition of bigotry.

Bigot - a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Based on my interaction with Ms. Rubenhold this morning, I will state that appears to be the case.

Thank you for your compliments on the podcast, they are appreciated!

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
                      Look forward to this. Will be interesting to hear in light of all of what is going on at the moment with certain authors books and podcasts!
                      I really enjoyed it as well. Lets hope lots of people tune in and make this whole debate a little less one sided. Its about time I reckon.
                      Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post

Thank you!
                        It's sad that Rubenhold uses the dirty tactic of claiming to her followers that a group of intelligent women with valid opinions and a large amount of knowledge have been especially drafted in by male 'Ripperologists' and therefore can be completely ignored! It's not very supportive of women is it? It's disappointing that other women have also jumped in to support her with condescending remarks without checking anything out for themselves.
                        I see one woman was even scoffing about the idea we perform or have ever performed any detailed historical research!

Comment

a group of intelligent women with valid opinions and a large amount of knowledge have been especially drafted in by male 'Ripperologists' and therefore can be completely ignored!
                          Personally I’m disappointed that none of the other male ripperologists have bothered to teach me how the mind control works. The hand movements and gentle humming are difficult to get right in order to subjugate the female properly.

Comment

It's sad that Rubenhold uses the dirty tactic of claiming to her followers that a group of intelligent women with valid opinions and a large amount of knowledge have been especially drafted in by male 'Ripperologists' and therefore can be completely ignored! It's not very supportive of women is it? It's disappointing that other women have also jumped in to support her with condescending remarks without checking anything out for themselves.
                            I see one woman was even scoffing about the idea we perform or have ever performed any detailed historical research!
                            It's incredible. I cannot believe that's the tactic that she went with. Like seriously, Hallie darling, when you're sitting there trying to put yourself forth as the Feminist Savior of the Field, pick a better effing tactic than to claim women are mindless puppets who will just trot along at the behest of men. Next thing you know she's going to be asking if it's our time of the month.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

Excellent podcast. Let’s hope that it opens a few minds and encourages Halle’s disciples not just to take everything that she says at face value. Once someone is on a pedestal thoughthey’re difficult do dislodge especially when she’s had so many glowing reviews and reviews tend to carry weight without regard to the person reviewing. A hundred people could read a book on the Romans and give it a great review commending the in depth research but what value would that hold if Mary Beard then pointed out the catalogue of errors and the dodgy editing? If we got 20 great reviews of a ripper book on Amazon and glowing comments all over the net but Paul Begg said it was crap who would we believe? I think that those involved in the podcast should get together and write a book. An honest female perspective from people that know what they’re talking about.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Working...
                              X