Whitechapel Society presents The Peer and the Gangster with Daniel Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel Society presents The Peer and the Gangster with Daniel Smith

We are pleased to bring to you the June 2021 guest speaker at the Whitechapel Society:

Daniel Smith, the author of The Peer and the Gangster: A Very British Cover-up.

In July 1964, the Sunday Mirror ran a front-page story headlined: PEER AND A GANGSTER: YARD ENQUIRY. While the article withheld the names of the subjects, the newspaper reported that the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police had ordered an investigation into an alleged homosexual relationship between ‘a household name’ from the House of Lords and a leading figure in the London underworld. Lord Boothby was the Conservative lord in question, and Ronnie Kray the infamous gangster. Yet within a couple of weeks the story had been killed off, vanishing as suddenly as it had appeared. Lord Boothby and the Krays carried on with business as usual. For the first time the full saga of the cover-up and its consequences can be revealed. Drawing upon recently released MI5 files, government papers, extensive interviews, and a wide array of contemporary reports and secondary sources, Daniel Smith pieces together how eminent figures from the political firmament, the Security Service, the Metropolitan Police, the legal profession and the media saw to it that the Sunday Mirror’s story was crushed almost as soon as it emerged.

https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/pu...9780750993296/

www.whitechapelsociety.com

This is a VIDEO PODCAST PRESENTATION

Thank you to Tony Power, Sue Parry, Daniel Smith and everyone at the Whitechapel Society for making this release possible.

Available to watch at the following link:

Also available in Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn Radio and wherever fine East End Crime and Scandal presentations can be found.

JM

Hi Jonathan,

I look forward to watching this. Fascinating story!

BTW, did you every get round to putting together the episode reviewing the film 'Murder by decree'? Would like to listen to that as I am a bit of a fan of the movie!
    Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

We’ve reviewed Murder By Decree and the Michael Caine miniseries live in our Facebook group.
      I’ll upload both to the podcast stream. Check back later in the week.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        We’ve reviewed Murder By Decree and the Michael Caine miniseries live in our Facebook group.

JM
        Brilliant! Thanks. I look forward to listening to both.
        Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post

JM
          Hey JM,

Still possible to add these to the podcast page? Got a trip coming up and these would be great companions for it!
          Last edited by Losmandris; 08-18-2021, 12:04 PM.
          Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Just seen you have added me to the FB group! I can always find there now, if its easier!
            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Working...
            X