Whitechapel Society presents Dr. John Sugden: From Tyburn to Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel Society presents Dr. John Sugden: From Tyburn to Whitechapel

We are pleased to bring to you the February 2020 guest speaker at the Whitechapel Society 1888

Dr. John Sugden: From Tyburn to Whitechapel- Philip Sugden's Journey into London's Criminal Past.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cfe2ef39-b8ba-4bd0-982b-8bd486f95751.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	731463

A personal, informative and enjoyable talk by the twin brother of the late author of the hugely influential book 'The Complete History of Jack the Ripper'.

Thank you to Dr. Sugden, Steve Rattey and the entire Committee of the Whitechapel Society.

www.whitechapelsociety.com

Available to stream or download now from the following link:

Also in Apple & Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, TuneIn, Podbean, Overcast...and wherever FREE East End London Criminal History podcasts can be found.

Thank you for listening,

JM

I didn't know Sugden had a twin brother. Thanks to the WS for hosting this and to Jonathan for production for Rippercast.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Just listened to this one, what a great talk. An amazing insight into the nature of Phillip Sugden. I always cite Sugden and Begg as essential reading so it was really good to learn about how he came to write his book, and how he strived to get it published without being edited. Can't recommend this one enough. And yes, for those who complain, it had some impressive background noise. Ignore it, and listen to the man. I think John Sugden could make any subject interesting.

Many thanks to those involved for making this possible, and most importantly, thanks to John for sharing the story of his brother.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
        Just listened to this one, what a great talk. An amazing insight into the nature of Phillip Sugden. I always cite Sugden and Begg as essential reading so it was really good to learn about how he came to write his book, and how he strived to get it published without being edited. Can't recommend this one enough. And yes, for those who complain, it had some impressive background noise. Ignore it, and listen to the man. I think John Sugden could make any subject interesting.

Many thanks to those involved for making this possible, and most importantly, thanks to John for sharing the story of his brother.
        Good post, totally agree. I attended the talk and enjoyed it very much. John made a point of coming round to each table to say hello to people. I thought was a classy thing to do. It was nice to get some background on Phillip, of whom I really I knew very little.

And thanks to John for his efforts in making the audio available.

Martyn

Comment

Working...
        X