• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
    [B]

But then, if we believe Mizen, Cross and Paul only told him he was wanted by a policeman and they mentioned nothing about Mrs Nichols. I guess as a competent policeman, in your view, he needed not to ask the most basic question of all, why he was wanted?

I notice I missed these attempts at being clever. So let's include them as a send-off!

Mizen had been told that there was a woman in Bucks Row that was either dead or drunk, and that there was another PC present who wanted his help. Policemen do not make it their business to explain to bystanders what they are doing and why, and so Mizen had no reason at all to think that Neil had divulged that kind of information. to the carmen. Nothing at all strange about that, I'm afraid - unless we WANT it to be.

Being such a competent policeman, Mizen it's claimed didn't think two men leaving the scene of a murder was anything to "attract attention".

The question asked about anybody LEAVING THE SCENE so at to attract attention rules out any possibility for Mizen to answer to begin with since he was NOT ON THE SCENE. More pertinently, the question asked could just as well have been worded "Did you see anybody who could have been the murderer/s?". And to Mizen, it would have been impossible for the carmen to have been the murderers, since he presumed NEIL was the finder and the carmen passers-by up at the murder spot AFTER the body was found. Therefore, they could not be the killers, and therefore, they were not the persons the question about attracting attention sought to find.

Being a competent policeman, he didn't bother mentioning to Neil that he saw the two men he claims Neil supposedly sent.

Why would he? It was of course totally obvious that he was sent by the carmen, the way Mizen saw it: He was told that there was a PC in place who had sent for him, and when he arrived Neil was there. Why would he say: "By the way, those two guys you sent did their job"? It would have been bloody obvious to both men if Mizen had been lied to, right? Or so Mizen will have thought - he had no idea that Neil had NOT been there when the carmen were.
    Illogical reasoning never takes flight, I'm afraid. Nor does it collect vast hoards of Mizen-haters, who thinks he was a liar. But it WILL affect peoples view of you.

Now I really must go. Thanks for the entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    [QUOTE=drstrange169;n721050]>> Yes, I am convinced that Mizen had his lamp on as Neil saw him. <<

Of course, we do need to note there is no actual information to support your conviction.

No, its nothing but a fair and logical guess - which is way better than the polar opposite!

>>Equally, I am convinced that Neil only saw him long after he had exited Bakers Row.<<

That's because you approach the subject with a heavy bias and do not accept alternative information e. g. the facts as stated by Neil. Such is the downfall of suspect motivated posts.

No, it is because he would be impossible to make out if it was dark and because I don't believe that Neil used much time to stake out the Bakers Row Junction, knowing quite well that it was nigh on impossible to see and that Mizen would only pass up there for a few seconds per beat. Logic again, thus.

>>Equally, I am convinced that Mizen answered Neils signaling - something he could not have done had he not had his light turned on.<<

Mizen said nothing about being signaled, quite the contrary, in fact, he claimed to have "found" Neil who was "shining his light on the pavement" at the time.

Actual facts seldom fit flights of fancy. <<[/B]

Very true - and who would be better suited to know all about that than you? In this case, it is lucky that we have material where Neils says that he signaled PC:s in both directions (and yes, that would mean Thain and Mizen) and was ANSWERED! If you think that means that Mizen yelled "COMING!!" at the top of his voice, that's your business.
    Is a relief to see that you have abandoned the very poor effort to claim that "we know" that Neil had his lamp turned on when patrolling. You went very silent on the point once you were proven wrong - which IS the commendable thing to to, so I couldn't be more pleased.

Now I'm off and won't be back for some time. No more mischief while I'm gone, please.

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    >> Yes, I am convinced that Mizen had his lamp on as Neil saw him. <<

Of course, we do need to note there is no actual information to support your conviction.

>>Equally, I am convinced that Neil only saw him long after he had exited Bakers Row.<<

That's because you approach the subject with a heavy bias and do not accept alternative information e. g. the facts as stated by Neil. Such is the downfall of suspect motivated posts.

>>Equally, I am convinced that Mizen answered Neils signaling - something he could not have done had he not had his light turned on.<<

Mizen said nothing about being signaled, quite the contrary, in fact, he claimed to have "found" Neil who was "shining his light on the pavement" at the time.

Actual facts seldom fit flights of fancy.

It has to be noted that everybody who interacted with Mizen gives a different version of events to his.

I wonder why that is?

Perhaps with 20 years service behind him, Neil was just not as competent a witness as Mizen.

But then, if we believe Mizen, Cross and Paul only told him he was wanted by a policeman and they mentioned nothing about Mrs Nichols. I guess as a competent policeman, in your view, he needed not to ask the most basic question of all, why he was wanted?

Being such a competent policeman, Mizen it's claimed didn't think two men leaving the scene of a murder was anything to "attract attention".

Being a competent policeman, he didn't bother mentioning to Neil that he saw the two men he claims Neil supposedly sent.

And so it goes on. They were all out of step but our Jim, as Irving Berlin wrote.

Leave a comment:

• Elamarna
    replied
    Not even difficult to rebut.

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

There is a reason, I have never said there is no reason.
    The problem is that you have assumed that I suggest that Mizen walks down Bakers Row, at a constant speed, and apparently that he looks over his shoulder down Whites Row, which is not what is suggested at all. The details were not discussed in the podcast, and having not read the book, you are clutching at mythical straws, which do not actually exist

Oh! AGAIN the book explains it all! Wow, Steve - Ripperology has a new Messiah! AND a new Bible!!

I just implied that your assumptions that I suggest Mizen was walking at a constant pace, and simply looked over his right shoulder are incorrect, so its not just in the book.
    The issue of the lamp was never mentioned in the Podcast, was it?

Read what has been posted not what you want to have been posted.
    I did not say they did not walk with their lamps turn on, but that they did not walk All of their beats with lamps on, rather they turned on when and if needed. A very different thing.

And so we now have Steve disowning his earlier statement that "such isn of course the case" when I said that PC:s did not walk their beats with their lamps on. Now it is a case of CERTAIN beats (presumably first and foremost the Bucks Row beat) demanding the lamp to have been turned on.

I have been very consistent in my view on this:

Post # 291
    "To be fair one point, had not I think.been raised before, that being Mizen would not walk his beat with his lamp light exposed, such is of course very true.
    However, i do not suggest he walked his beat with the lamp exposed at all times."

Post # 297
    "I have assumed he turned the beam on and off as he felt was needed."

Post # 314
    "Sorry we do not agree that Mizen had no light showing when he reached Whites Row.
    It would of course help if you provided the full quote giving my correct response on this, that being that he would expose his lamp as needed.

"To be fair one point, had not I think.been raised before, that being Mizen would not walk his beat with his lamp light exposed, such is of course very true.
    However, I do not suggest he walked his beat with the lamp exposed at all times""

Post # 325
    "I have said very clearly he would open his lamp when he wanted or needed to. Hence, it must be clear the suggestion is that he decided to open his lamp when he reached the junction. Mizen's possible actions on reaching the junction are all discussed in the book you have not read, and were not mentioned at all in the podcast."

Still trying to misrepresent, and doing it so poorly

Question: You said that you think that Mizen turned his lamp on just before coming up the the Bakers Row junction. Therefore, Bucks Row will have differed from Bakers Row - in the former, it was lamp on, in the latter, it was lights off. Why would that be? Pray tell us!

I see we are starting to resort to insults again.

Your ripperology insulting common intelligence is not my problem.

Another attempt at insulting fails to hit the target, no surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied

The problem is that you have assumed that I suggest that Mizen walks down Bakers Row, at a constant speed, and apparently that he looks over his shoulder down Whites Row, which is not what is suggested at all. The details were not discussed in the podcast, and having not read the book, you are clutching at mythical straws, which do not actually exist

Oh! AGAIN the book explains it all! Wow, Steve - Ripperology has a new Messiah! AND a new Bible!!

I did not say they did not walk with their lamps turn on, but that they did not walk All of their beats with lamps on, rather they turned on when and if needed. A very different thing.

And so we now have Steve disowning his earlier statement that "such isn of course the case" when I said that PC:s did not walk their beats with their lamps on. Now it is a case of CERTAIN beats (presumably first and foremost the Bucks Row beat) demanding the lamp to have been turned on.

Question: You said that you think that Mizen turned his lamp on just before coming up the the Bakers Row junction. Therefore, Bucks Row will have differed from Bakers Row - in the former, it was lamp on, in the latter, it was lights off. Why would that be? Pray tell us!

Steve
    Your ripperology insulting common intelligence is not my problem.

Leave a comment:

• Elamarna
    replied

The suggestion that Mizen would have turned his lamp on for no reason at all before arriving at the junction of Bakers Row if he never intended to go down Bucks Row says it all.

You HAVE to have the lamp on, otherwise Neil could not possibly have seen him, and you will NOT accept that he was in all probability not a liar. So you invent the totally improbable, turn things upside down totally after having agreed that PC:s did not walk their beats with their lamps turned on - and then you speak of ME speculating! It is a three and a half somersault with one and a half spin, and it lands yourself on your arse. Priceless!!

As I said, I can only lead a horse to water, I cannot make it drink. The same, I believe, goes for donkeys. Congratulations on a flawless life.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    It would be nice if one day you would simply use the quote facility, it makes replying so much easier, but so be it.

We certainly do have different interpretation of the word, the podcast gave a truthful picture that there are no official records of the beats for J division which was the issue being talked about. there was NO ERROR

Neil is very clear he says he SEES Mizen IN Bakers Row. There is no solid evidence to dispute that Neil was incorrect, other than "speculation" that it was unlikely.

The "reality check" as you refer to it is simply opinion, the science shows it is very possible.
    Once again this is interpretation, not Error.

Not at all, he simply looked down Bucks Row, it appears he responded to Neil at that POINT.

The Suggestion (speculation) that Mizen had not intended to go down Bucks Row is supported by evidence, that you do not accept such is irrelevant to this question. To speculate on what he may have done after the event, would be itself based on pure speculation, not evidence, which does not exist.
    Such speculation we know, is commonly used for the Lechmere theory.

I disagree, it presents the view that the Carmen believed there was a woman in need of attention in Bucks Row, but they were not sure of her actual condition. Again we see its interpretation, NOT an Error

Yes thats your interpretation, not FACT. My interpretation may be wrong, as may yours be, that does not make either of them Errors

Once again it is clearly demonstrated by this very post, that these are not Errors, but differences in interpretation.

The transparent nature of these posts clear demonstrates the objection to the work is not based serious factual flaws, but a concern that the work may damage a theory.
    The real concern of course, is that those objecting do not Know what the work actually proposes.
    The suggestion that Mizen would have turned his lamp on for no reason at all before arriving at the junction of Bakers Row if he never intended to go down Bucks Row says it all. You HAVE to have the lamp on, otherwise Neil could not possibly have seen him, and you will NOT accept that he was in all probability not a liar. So you invent the totally improbable, turn things upside down totally after having agreed that PC:s did not walk their beats with their lamps turned on - and then you speak of ME speculating! It is a three and a half somersault with one and a half spin, and it lands yourself on your arse. Priceless!!

As I said, I can only lead a horse to water, I cannot make it drink. The same, I believe, goes for donkeys. Congratulations on a flawless life.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 09-04-2019, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Elamarna
    replied
    It would be nice if one day you would simply use the quote facility, it makes replying so much easier, but so be it.

I will pick just the parts I find interesting, and leave the rest since it is not very productive.
    There was No Error. It seems you have a problem over the definition of that word.

Maybe we just "interpret" the word in different ways. It gave the listeners an erroneous picture of what kind of beat maps there are left, and to me, that IS an error.
    We certainly do have different interpretation of the word, the podcast gave a truthful picture that there are no official records of the beats for J division which was the issue being talked about. there was NO ERROR

[SIZE=14px]Now you wish me to discuss the book, which you claim over and over this debate is not about.
    All that the sources actually tell us, is that Neil signalled and that he saw Mizen in Bakers Row, apparently going down it.

No, the sources do NOT tell us that Neil saw Mizen in Bakers Row. They tell us that Neil CLAIMED he saw Mizen there, but once we make a reality check, we can see that this is not likely.
    Neil is very clear he says he SEES Mizen IN Bakers Row. There is no solid evidence to dispute that Neil was incorrect, other than "speculation" that it was unlikely.

The "reality check" as you refer to it is simply opinion, the science shows it is very possible.
    Once again this is interpretation, not Error.

In answer to your question, I suggest Mizen opened the lamp as he approached the junction, he then responded to Neil's lamp, it is therefore folly to speculate on what he may or may not have done, if he had not done so.

Okay. So if Mizen opened the lamp "as he approached the junction", would you not say that this clearly implicates that his intention was to go down to find the woman he had been told about?
    It is interesting that an author who has speculated that Mizen was a liar finds other speculation a folly, I dare say.
    Not at all, he simply looked down Bucks Row, it appears he responded to Neil at that POINT.

The Suggestion (speculation) that Mizen had not intended to go down Bucks Row is supported by evidence, that you do not accept such is irrelevant to this question. To speculate on what he may have done after the event, would be itself based on pure speculation, not evidence, which does not exist.
    Such speculation we know, is commonly used for the Lechmere theory.

They clearly did not know if she was dead or drunk, so my paraphrasing is perfectly acceptable. There is no mixing of the comments. a truly pathetic attempt to justify the claim.

Actually, no - you paraphrasing is not acceptable because it presents the picture Mizen gave of the matter as Lechmeres picture, while we know quite well that Lechmere said something entirely different - according to himself. These matters are at the very core of the Mizen scam, they are the corner stones of it and understanding them is of pivotal importance. If we cannot present them and the questions the rise in a clear and fair manner, we rob the listeners of the tools to make a correct evaluation of what was said.

I disagree, it presents the view that the Carmen believed there was a woman in need of attention in Bucks Row, but they were not sure of her actual condition. Again we see its interpretation, NOT an Error

That is Mr stows opinion, the reasons for Abberline being sent are certainly not clear, or documented. my opinion is different working from the same facts. There is no factual Error, it is interpretation pure and simple.

Then you presented your interpretation as fact, and since Abberline was brought into the case on day one, that interpretation is - at best - wobbly in the extreme. It would predispose those in command agreeing in day one that they were out of their depth, and I dare say that would border on the ridiculous (my interpretation, of course).

Yes thats your interpretation, not FACT. My interpretation may be wrong, as may yours be, that does not make either of them Errors

What we have witnessed on this thread is a desperate attempt to discredit a work, apparently out of concern that it may damage a theory, unsurprisingly it has failed miserably.

Another "interpretation" would be that we have witnessed an authors´ unwillingness to accept responsibility for errors made in a podcast and in the ensuing discussion on the boards. And surely, my interpretation is every bit as good as yours, is it not?
    Once again it is clearly demonstrated by this very post, that these are not Errors, but differences in interpretation.

This is as far as we are going to get. I trust it is quite enough.

The transparent nature of these posts clear demonstrates the objection to the work is not based serious factual flaws, but a concern that the work may damage a theory.
    The real concern of course, is that those objecting do not Know what the work actually proposes.
    Last edited by Elamarna; 09-04-2019, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied

I will pick just the parts I find interesting, and leave the rest since it is not very productive.

There was No Error. It seems you have a problem over the definition of that word.

Maybe we just "interpret" the word in different ways. It gave the listeners an erroneous picture of what kind of beat maps there are left, and to me, that IS an error.

[SIZE=14px]Now you wish me to discuss the book, which you claim over and over this debate is not about.
    All that the sources actually tell us, is that Neil signalled and that he saw Mizen in Bakers Row, apparently going down it.

No, the sources do NOT tell us that Neil saw Mizen in Bakers Row. They tell us that Neil CLAIMED he saw Mizen there, but once we make a reality check, we can see that this is not likely.

In answer to your question, I suggest Mizen opened the lamp as he approached the junction, he then responded to Neil's lamp, it is therefore folly to speculate on what he may or may not have done, if he had not done so.

Okay. So if Mizen opened the lamp "as he approached the junction", would you not say that this clearly implicates that his intention was to go down to find the woman he had been told about?
    It is interesting that an author who has speculated that Mizen was a liar finds other speculation a folly, I dare say.

They clearly did not know if she was dead or drunk, so my paraphrasing is perfectly acceptable. There is no mixing of the comments. a truly pathetic attempt to justify the claim.

Actually, no - you paraphrasing is not acceptable because it presents the picture Mizen gave of the matter as Lechmeres picture, while we know quite well that Lechmere said something entirely different - according to himself. These matters are at the very core of the Mizen scam, they are the corner stones of it and understanding them is of pivotal importance. If we cannot present them and the questions the rise in a clear and fair manner, we rob the listeners of the tools to make a correct evaluation of what was said.

That is Mr stows opinion, the reasons for Abberline being sent are certainly not clear, or documented. my opinion is different working from the same facts. There is no factual Error, it is interpretation pure and simple.

Then you presented your interpretation as fact, and since Abberline was brought into the case on day one, that interpretation is - at best - wobbly in the extreme. It would predispose those in command agreeing in day one that they were out of their depth, and I dare say that would border on the ridiculous (my interpretation, of course).

What we have witnessed on this thread is a desperate attempt to discredit a work, apparently out of concern that it may damage a theory, unsurprisingly it has failed miserably.

Steve
    Another "interpretation" would be that we have witnessed an authors´ unwillingness to accept responsibility for errors made in a podcast and in the ensuing discussion on the boards. And surely, my interpretation is every bit as good as yours, is it not?

This is as far as we are going to get. I trust it is quite enough.

Leave a comment:

• Elamarna
    replied

Avoiding the point that was made in the podcast, that there are NO RECORDS at all for the Beats in J division, while some survive for H. it was not a mistake to mention them at all.
    The point about 2012 is truly ludicrous.

No, because it reveals that you made an error, thinking that people will let it pass because it is just an error of half a century. Not a soul will think that you are speaking of the overall survival rate of the beat maps. And indeed, why would they...?

When exactly was I meant to correct it? I was not aware I had inadvertently given the incorrect date. The podcast is not played back to the interviewee, there was no chance to correct it.

Ah, you were not aware of it? I thought you said it was a slip of the tongue? Which in my world means that we know the correct answer but we just happen to give the wrong answer instead. In such cases, we can say "No, sorry, I mean the 21:st, not the 20:th". If we are not aware that we have made a mistake, then how can it not be an error? Because it is in the book?
    A very poor interpretation of my comment!
    In saying, I was not aware, I was not aware that I had given the edition of 20th rather than the 21st. There was therefore no chance to correct it. If the recording had been played back, the mistake would have been picked up.
    I have admitted it was a mistake in the podcast in the last post.
    One of Two mistakes, one in a separate podcast, with its own thread.

I have said very clearly he would open his lamp when he wanted or needed to. Hence, it must be clear the suggestion is that he decided to open his lamp when he reached the junction. Mizen's possible actions on reaching the junction are all discussed in the book you have not read, and were not mentioned at all in the podcast.

And why do you think he felt an urge to open his lamp at the junction if he intended to just keep on walking his normal beat? When do you think he would have obscured the light? After having passed the junction?
    Now you wish me to discuss the book, which you claim over and over this debate is not about.

You have not provided the example of me Mixing Lechmere and Mizen up? i have listened to the podcast several times and have not found this "error" so I would be grateful for your help, on this matter.

'
    In the podcast you say "They didn’t tell him the woman was dead they only said she appeared to be unwell shall we say."
    Actually, it was MIZEN who claimed that they never spoke of death, while Lechmere very clearly claimed that the message forwarded to Neil claimed that the woman was dead or drunk.

This rather pathetic response which is post #319 avoids dealing with any of the responses given to tediously repetitive post #315.
    I repeat most of what you term as Errors are in fact disagreements over interpretation, nothing else.

Steve

You really should not do so, because it is not true. Take for example Abberline, where you claim that he was only brought in to the investigation because the Yard was out of their depth. Edward Stow made it very clear on JTR that Abberline was sent on day one, and accordingly not as any result of the Yard not being able to cope with the case. Of course, they proved themselves unfit to do so in some ways further down the line, but that apparently had nothing to do with Abberline being called in.

You also claimed that there are only paper reports to go on in the Nichols case, whereas there are actually also police files. Obviously, that is simply erroneous.

I have commented on this at least 3 times, that you chose to ignore such is your choice.

To repeat from my previous post:

"I made it clear I was talking about the inquest, the beats and the wounds, I referred to police files at other points in the podcast. There is NO Error."

Likewise claiming that there are less paper reports available for the Nichols case than for any other case is untrue - since it is on par with the Stride and Chapman cases.

I obviously disagree.

So it would seem that I am not the "pathetic" one. Some errors you have admitted to already, and denying obvious other ones will do you no favors at all.

Unless, of course, this debate sells a copy or two of your book. You cannot fault me for not trying!

It is very clear there is a failure to understand the difference between Factual errors, getting a date or report wrong, and a difference in interpretation of the facts.

Steve
    Last edited by Elamarna; 09-03-2019, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied

Avoiding the point that was made in the podcast, that there are NO RECORDS at all for the Beats in J division, while some survive for H. it was not a mistake to mention them at all.

No, because it reveals that you made an error, thinking that people will let it pass because it is just an error of half a century. Not a soul will think that you are speaking of the overall survival rate of the beat maps. And indeed, why would they...?

When exactly was I meant to correct it? I was not aware I had inadvertently given the incorrect date. The podcast is not played back to the interviewee, there was no chance to correct it.

Ah, you were not aware of it? I thought you said it was a slip of the tongue? Which in my world means that we know the correct answer but we just happen to give the wrong answer instead. In such cases, we can say "No, sorry, I mean the 21:st, not the 20:th". If we are not aware that we have made a mistake, then how can it not be an error? Because it is in the book?

I have said very clearly he would open his lamp when he wanted or needed to. Hence, it must be clear the suggestion is that he decided to open his lamp when he reached the junction. Mizen's possible actions on reaching the junction are all discussed in the book you have not read, and were not mentioned at all in the podcast.

And why do you think he felt an urge to open his lamp at the junction if he intended to just keep on walking his normal beat? When do you think he would have obscured the light? After having passed the junction?

You have not provided the example of me Mixing Lechmere and Mizen up? i have listened to the podcast several times and have not found this "error" so I would be grateful for your help, on this matter.

In the podcast you say "They didn’t tell him the woman was dead they only said she appeared to be unwell shall we say."
    Actually, it was MIZEN who claimed that they never spoke of death, while Lechmere very clearly claimed that the message forwarded to Neil claimed that the woman was dead or drunk.

This rather pathetic response which is post #319 avoids dealing with any of the responses given to tediously repetitive post #315.
    I repeat most of what you term as Errors are in fact disagreements over interpretation, nothing else.

Steve
    You really should not do so, because it is not true. Take for example Abberline, where you claim that he was only brought in to the investigation because the Yard was out of their depth. Edward Stow made it very clear on JTR that Abberline was sent on day one, and accordingly not as any result of the Yard not being able to cope with the case. Of course, they proved themselves unfit to do so in some ways further down the line, but that apparently had nothing to do with Abberline being called in.

You also claimed that there are only paper reports to go on in the Nichols case, whereas there are actually also police files. Obviously, that is simply erroneous.

Likewise claiming that there are less paper reports available for the Nichols case than for any other case is untrue - since it is on par with the Stride and Chapman cases.

So it would seem that I am not the "pathetic" one. Some errors you have admitted to already, and denying obvious other ones will do you no favors at all.

Unless, of course, this debate sells a copy or two of your book. You cannot fault me for not trying!
    Last edited by Fisherman; 09-03-2019, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    But according to you, (Post #302 "I myself am convinced that Mizen DID have his light showing as Neil saw him.") Mizen already had his light on and according to Neil, Mizen was going from north to south.

Damning indeed.
    This is becoming bizarre. Yes, I am convinced that Mizen had his lamp on as Neil saw him.
    Equally, I am convinced that Neil only saw him long after he had exited Bakers Row.
    Equally, I am convinced that Mizen answered Neils signaling - something he could not have done had he not had his light turned on.

I kind of sympathize with the problem you are having trying to make it look as if Neil and Mizen paraded their beats with their lights turned on. However, just because it says that Neil shone his lamplight on Nichols, that does not mean that he had had his lamp on when walking his beat. That assumption on your behalf is perhaps the most bizarre matter of them all. So why don't we put the suggestion to sleep?

From the 19:th of September police report, signed by Swanson, Abberline and Shore:

"Neil had found the woman, and was calling for assistance. P C Neil had turned on his light and discovered that the woman throat was severely cut."

So once again, we have a PC that arrives at a spot where he needs to examine a woman, and he turns his light on. And this time over, there is no case to be made for him having walked a well lit street, is there? No, Bucks Row was very dark, and Neil nevertheless did not patrol with his light on. He only turned it on when noticing Nichols.

Very far from knowing that he patrolled with his light on as you claimed - with no evidence whatsoever to back it up - we now have Swanson, Abberline and Shore telling us the polar opposite. Unless you want to claim that he had turned his light on as he commenced his beat? Nothing surprises me anymore, and it would be par for the course so by all means, try it and see how it goes down and what it will do for your, ehrm, credibility.

So we now have it even more sorted than before: Mizen would reasonably not have had his light on if he was walking his beat with no intention to go down Bucks Row. And that is because it is clear from our three examples that PC:s patrolled their beats with the light off.
    And Neil would not have been able to see him up at the Bakers Row junction if he didn't have his light turned on. Conversely, if he DID have his light on when turning into Whites Row, then that would have been because he was en route to Bucks Row - just as he said at the inquest.

Ergo, Mizen was not lying about this at the inquest, he was telling the truth.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 09-03-2019, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Elamarna
    replied

I can only see wringing and squirming here, so I will not spend much time on it. If one thinks it is not an error to say that there are beat maps existing for a police division when these maps are half a century removed from the period of time we are looking at, then I can only feel sorry for the ones who listened to the podcast and were mislead by it in this respect. Of course it is an error, because nobody who listens are going to think that the maps you referred to were NOT viable evidence.

Frankly, I think it is sad when you do things like these, because I think the audience are entitled to an admittance and an apology for having been led to think that these beat maps are in existence, and that you have been able to draw viable conclusions on basis of them.

Would you have said the same if you -theoretically - knew the maps were from 2012? Of course - you would of course feel the need to say that we have access to the H division maps, so we are on safer grounds in that case than when it comes to J division? Or?

I am not saying that you Madde the error of not knowing that the maps were not admissible as 1888 evidence. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't. I am saying that it was an error to mention them AS IF they were admissible evidence and a grave error not to qualify what they were - if you indeed were aware of it.

I note that you seemingly admit to one error ( the Echo report), at any rate, and since it is like freeing blood out of a stone, that's a remarkable thing. But you feel you must tel us that it was a "slip of the tongue", as if you MEANT to give the right date, but it came out wrong. If that was what happened, why did you not correct it?

Last, but not least:

"The position I suggest Neil saw Mizen is at the junction of Whites Row and Bakers Row, not sure why you have an issue with this."

I want to know whether you still stand by what you said, that it was of course the case that PC:s did their beats with the light of their lamps hidden, or if you are now going to make an exception for Mizen. That is why I am asking.

Steve
    Last edited by Elamarna; 09-03-2019, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drstrange169
    replied
    But according to you, (Post #302 "I myself am convinced that Mizen DID have his light showing as Neil saw him.") Mizen already had his light on and according to Neil, Mizen was going from north to south.

Damning indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Fisherman
    replied
    I also don't know whether Mizen was "passing along Baker's Row" or walking towards Mizen, as I've ready said.

I know that you don't know.

To me it doesn't matter, as both are potentially very damning to Mizen.

Really? The fantasy people have these days!

Scenario :1.

Mizen walked past the entrance to Whites Row.

Given his encounter with Cross and Paul, it is a given that he would have looked up towards Bucks Row.

No, but it is probable.

He may have even walked to the middle of the crossing to get the clearest view up the street.

He would have the clearest view towards the murder site (which would nevertheless be out of his view) from the south side of the junction. And I thought you implies it was a given that he would look towards that site?

Also, given that Neil had already sent Thain for the doctor and Kirby had already been through, it is logical that Neil would keep an eye towards Baker's Row as the only likely place to see another policeman.

Likely enough for such a man to pass in two seconds every half hour, yes.

If he saw Mizen from in front of Essex Wharf, then his window of opportunity, time wise, was very brief, although we can't rule out Mizen standing in the middle of the junction looking for something.

We cannot even rule out that he sneaked down Bucks Row, his lamp shut, and staked out the murder site. Its all a question of how much fantasy we want to add.

What we do not know, is where Neil was when he saw Mizen. Neil stated he searched the area whilst waiting for the doctor, so he could have been anywhere. If he ventured down towards the Board School, his view would increase with each step.

Mmm. If he went halfway up Whites Row, it would become even better.

So to sum up, to see Mizen "pass along Baker's Row" is problematic, but categorically NOT impossible.

Actually, if he did not have his lamp on, it WOULD be impossible to see him from 200 yards plus away in darkness, as gleaned by how Lechmere and Paul did not see each other from 40 yards away. But depending on different circumstances, it cannot be categorically ruled out, no.

Scenario :2.

Mizen was walking towards Neil when Neil saw him.

First problem we have is modern researchers claiming to be more knowledge about Baker's/ Bucks Row than PC Neil.

I donat see anybody claiming that. We cannot possibly know what level of knowledge Neil had. But it is fair to suggest that he may not have been aware of the exact options of sight offered by the scene.

I don't know how many hours, days, weeks, years Neil walked around his beat, but I do know he would have know every door, every window, every dark spot, every piece of rubbish, in short, EVERYTHING about his beat.

Exactly, yo do not know how familiar Neil was with the beat, since you do not know how long he had walked it. Agreed.

The idea that he wouldn't know where Baker's Row was and how easy or difficult or easy the view was, is patently silly. This man was, in every sense, an expert on the area.

Even if had walked it for a short period only? You see, if I cannot say how expert Neil was, it actually applies that you cannot either. It works both ways, believe it or not.

We know that Neil wasn't a cadet, he had years of experience behind him, so it is very unlikely that he panicked.

Who says he did? What Edward expressed was that his pulse would start pounding, and I agree. That's not panicking, it is more like getting tunnel vision. Which he may or may not have.

So, when Neil said he saw Mizen "pass along Baker"s Row" there is a very good change that Neil knew what he was saying.

No, there is not. The very obvious inference is that he THOUGHT that Mizen was in Bakers Row because he KNEW that Mizen did not enter Bucks Row/Whites Row on his beat. And it is impossible to see dark people in dark streets 200 yards away. So no, there was never any "very good chance" that this was correct. There is a near certainty that it was not, in fact.

The next problem is that phrase "pass along". If Mizen was walking towards Neil why did Neil say Mizen was going from north to south?

Because he knew that Mizen would pass the junction like that, and so he surmised that this was what he saw. He could not make it out in the darkness. A possible explanation if he DID see a movement from north to south could be that he saw Mizen signaling him. You move your lamp from left to right when signaling, and that would have been north to south to Neil. So Neil may (a suggestion, not a certainty) have seen the light moving in that direction and thought that it was Mizen up at Bakers Row. of course that would involve an illogical showing of light on Mizens behalf, but the possibility is there.

If Neil saw Mizen walking towards him, then his first question would have been, why is a H division Bobby on J division's patch? Neil never asked that.

Of course he did not. He believed that Mizen was there in answer to his own signaling him down. He signaled Mizen down! Would he then ask "What are you doing here?" You may need to rethink that one.

Then we have the biggest problem for Mizen. If he truly was told he was wanted by a policeman, why did he have his light on?

He answered Neils signaling. That is hard in the extreme to do with a dark lantern.

He would only need a light if Cross and Paul's version were true, that being, there was a body somewhere in Buck's Row, ergo he would be walking up shining his light left and right looking for a woman on the ground.

Eh - no. He would open up for the light in order to be able to answer Neils signal.

If he really believed there was a policeman already there, he needed no light, the policeman would be obvious and as coincidence would have it that is exactly what Mizen said, namely that he saw a policeman shining his light.
    If that PC signaled him with his lantern, he would be obliged to answer the signal. How that is damning for the poor man, I do not know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X